The online racing simulator
How to release handbrake?
(15 posts, started )
Hi,

I use wheel, pedal set and shifter to play lfs. I assign a button on wheel for handbrake but I can't release it. Handbrake is always released with stalling when I let the car to start to move. Can anyone tell me how to release it?

Thanks.
Attached images
handbrake.png
Did you try to go into options and set reverse axis/button for handbrake?
Can't find such an option
Quote from neonmateo :Did you try to go into options and set reverse axis/button for handbrake?

I attach several screenshots. Can you point out how to change it?
Attached images
1.png
2.png
3.png
The handbrake should be engaged when you spawn out of the pits and will automatically disengage when you start moving.
This might be a stupid question but are you sure you aren't stalling the car because of depressing the clutch too fast?
Once the handbrake is set, you can only release it by moving the car (overcoming the brake force.)

This is due to how the push-button handbrake works, and so that when you join the race on the grid your handbrake is on, so you don't get a false start) regardless of the axis.

I have to way, it would be really nice to have the handbrake be released if its set to an axis.
Quote from DataFi :The handbrake should be engaged when you spawn out of the pits and will automatically disengage when you start moving.
This might be a stupid question but are you sure you aren't stalling the car because of depressing the clutch too fast?

Quote from PeterN :Once the handbrake is set, you can only release it by moving the car (overcoming the brake force.)

This is due to how the push-button handbrake works, and so that when you join the race on the grid your handbrake is on, so you don't get a false start) regardless of the axis.

I have to way, it would be really nice to have the handbrake be released if its set to an axis.

I drove a XF GTI in tutorial one and tried to release clutch very very slowly, but handbrake still can't be released. I attach a screenshot to show my best effort without stalling. When I disengaged clutch a bit more, I saw the green bar (throttle) increased very quickly and rotate speed of engine dropped very quickly... Engine will stall and handbrake will be disengaged if I release clutch very quickly. It seems that force of engine is smaller than force to release handbrake. I didn't step on accelerator and just released clutch slowly.

I can't find any spare axis on wheel and it's not cheap to buy a handbrake. I play lfs to help to pass my driving test. Is this some kind of bug in lfs?
Attached images
4.png
#7 - lucaf
Why don't you post spr replay file? Or why don't you try with automatic clutch, then you will see where is the problem.
Quote from lucaf :Why don't you post spr replay file? Or why don't you try with automatic clutch, then you will see where is the problem.

I did several things when recording:
1. Released clutch smoothly to show my clutch pedal is functional.
2. Tried several times to disengage clutch without stalling, all failed no matter how slow I did.
3. Disengaged clutch very quickly to show what will happen.
Attached files
user_BL4_XFG_5.spr - 7.8 KB - 299 views
Try now with using trottle. U will see handbrake will release.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :what am i reading here ?
driving school basics or ?

Isn't this forum supposed to be helpful with less useless comments possible?
I had all my driving lessons, passed my test, bought a banger and stalled it three times on the forecourt before someone thought to mention to me that petrol cars require a bit of throttle as you move off from standstill. I'd learned in a diesel, been taught never to touch the throttle until the clutch was fully engaged, and nobody thought it worthwhile to mention that the two types of engine require different approaches. Literally 5 minutes after that revelation and I was on the motorway for the first time ever, following my boss in his very expensive porsche as he was driving like a dick. "I thought you'd have been raring for a burn", he said. *rolls eyes*
Quote from RC-Maus :Try now with using trottle. U will see handbrake will release.

It works! Thumbs up Need at least 4000 RPM to overcome force of handbrake on flat ground.

Even though a little different from what I learn from driving school, lfs is a good game to practice some fundamental part of driving. Thanks!

Driving school in China is very bad. Most teachers teach things to pass exam only. My teacher told me only step on throttle after I have switched to second gear, because there's a rule that RPM must be lower than 2000 to pass the exam... I was required to stop at intersection to wait for the next green light and it's not unusual to see many cars stop at intersection and the traffic light is green in exam area. Very funny...
Bear in mind, in real life, you don't need anywhere near this amount of effort to overcome handbrake force, unless for some reason it's got stuck on.

On the flat it's perfectly possible to slowly start creeping forward without applying throttle.
Just an unrelated question - how can you even remotely remember your username? Looking
Quote from PeterN :Bear in mind, in real life, you don't need anywhere near this amount of effort to overcome handbrake force, unless for some reason it's got stuck on.

On the flat it's perfectly possible to slowly start creeping forward without applying throttle.

Thanks for the tip! Thumbs up

Quote from Eclipsed :Just an unrelated question - how can you even remotely remember your username? Looking

My name is randomly typed to prevent a kind of cyber attack called social engineering. Actually I can't remember and I record it somewhere.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG