The online racing simulator
I Want to Make a Racing Simulator. What do I Need to Learn?
Please help.
Programming?
Physics, mechanics, linear algebra, calculus, C/C++, D3D or similar, vehicle dynamics, tyre physics.
Thank you.
#5 - Sobis
Legend.
May I add something: Fun Factors!
#8 - Racon
Quote from Scawen :Physics, mechanics, linear algebra, calculus, C/C++, D3D or similar, vehicle dynamics, tyre physics.

You forget to mention dealing with us lot... Thumbs up
This is not serious... @Marino108 is trolling probably Big grin
Quote from Racon :You forget to mention dealing with us lot... Thumbs up

Not neccesary - I read Kunos guys aren't very pleasant to their customers,they're still way richer than LFS devs. Shrug
Quote from Eclipsed :Not neccesary - I read Kunos guys aren't very pleasant to their customers,they're still way richer than LFS devs. Shrug

Only ever thought of Stefano being the unpleasant one, never seen Marco say or do anything silly.
For me, having a good life and plenty of free time to do the things I like is far more important than being rich. If being rich was a high priority there are many other jobs I could have done, and probably would have had to work 9 to 10 hours a day and only have a few holidays a year. But what's the point in that? So I could wear a fancy watch or clothes with logos on them so other people would be impressed? I don't get it. Life has to be about doing the things you like to do, not wasting money on expensive crap to show off to other fools.
Quote from Scawen :For me, having a good life and plenty of free time to do the things I like is far more important than being rich. If being rich was a high priority there are many other jobs I could have done, and probably would have had to work 9 to 10 hours a day and only have a few holidays a year. But what's the point in that? So I could wear a fancy watch or clothes with logos on them so other people would be impressed? I don't get it. Life has to be about doing the things you like to do, not wasting money on expensive crap to show off to other fools.

Well said, in today's world, everyone seems to be obsessed with being rich and famous, success, fame, luxury.
Then they get depressed because the life they have is meaningless and dull, they have money but lack happiness, they turned into machines and forgot to be human.

Society forces us into being robots, follow orders, get money to make you feel like it was worth it.
its scary how hard it is to be happy and survive with enough money to get the things you want.
Quote from Scawen :If being rich was a high priority...

...LFS would have already S6 licence with half baked models,buggy tracks and 2006 graphics and physics.

I mean - community already knows you're not aiming for big money,that's quite obvious to be honest. And that is what brings quality to LFS. Unlike Kunos - they're just putting one DLC after another,just to score more €/$. And as far as I understand,they're not developing AC further,but bringing new title out,where they sell practically the same product again with some changes under new name.
Quote from Eclipsed :where they sell practically the same product again with some changes under new name.

As much as I agree with you on the LFS side, for AC, it's a complete change of engine, and a new focus for this game. But let's not get off topic.

Creating a racing simulator takes time, lots of it. Especially if you create everything by yourself (full engine with graphics, physics, inputs, network, and cars plus track).
There is a big change in the next Kunos product : AC was not to get rain because it is too dangerous to drive on it and could make you loose a race suddenly, while in ACC they can implement it because it is nice and cool !!!
Quote from Scawen :... But what's the point in that? So I could wear a fancy watch or clothes with logos on them so other people would be impressed? ...

The point would be to buy a bike with an hidden engine in the wheels that make you go quicker with less effort compared to your competitors Rofl
Quote from neonmateo :According to his older posts, I doubt it.

My bad then, sorry, but still making a racing simulator is not like making a sandwich. It is never so simple as following a few steps and its done.
Like this guy:
Quote from AfterAll14 :In 2018 it's more than simple thing to do. Take any free game engine on your choice (UE4, Unity, CE). Integrate your physics within 6-12 months. Invest some money in game models and assets. And here you go - new game with AAA graphics steam ready.

And if that is the case, the final product will be a complete garbage. There are a lot of them.

As the lifestyle choice, I agree with @Scawen. Although being rich is a very relative thing. By design in a capitalistic system money are never enough, so it is up to you to balance.
Quote from Marino108 :Please help.

This is a useful paper that explains how constrained rigid-body models could be simulated. It's not the only way to do it, but it's a good starting point to understand how complex it is modelling rigid body dynamics.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-683.pdf

The main purpose of me posting that link is, if you're not familiar enough with math/linear algebra/mechanics to understand most of it, then you'll need to get that sorted first.
This is a very good paper. Thanks
Quote from Scawen :For me, having a good life and plenty of free time to do the things I like is far more important than being rich. If being rich was a high priority there are many other jobs I could have done, and probably would have had to work 9 to 10 hours a day and only have a few holidays a year. But what's the point in that? So I could wear a fancy watch or clothes with logos on them so other people would be impressed? I don't get it. Life has to be about doing the things you like to do, not wasting money on expensive crap to show off to other fools.

Words to live by.

This reads even better when you can see the manifestation of this philosophy in LFS itself. No hasty releases, no random additions to accomodate the latest fads and no 3rd parties pushing you around and demanding stuff. Too bad that not all of us get to live their lives entirely on their own terms...
Quote from MadCatX :This reads even better when you can see the manifestation of this philosophy in LFS itself. No hasty releases, no random additions to accomodate the latest fads and no 3rd parties pushing you around and demanding stuff. Too bad that not all of us get to live their lives entirely on their own terms...

Not to mention the facts that there are license price bands, and that the LFS websites honor DNT to prevent tracking (well before GDPR was a thing), or how the LFS Team resolved the issues with BRLok.

Edit: Or how Scawen made it possible to unlock the old S1 version of LFS (I don't expect this to work after the DDoS mitigations though, so perhaps I should not have dug this example up).

I'm, for what it's worth, extremely proud of LFS.

I Want to Make a Racing Simulator. What do I Need to Learn?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG