The online racing simulator
Racing games from the past
(9 posts, started )
#1 - lucaf

Rofl I thought I have seen the first games ever, but didn't know anything about those of 70's :o

I think oldest game I have played was the formula game of 1983 in the video above. It was as a coin game on several gas stations and bar's in Finland or at least a very similar game. Next one and remarkably more impressive was "Outrun" that I don't see in that video, but I think it came in the middle of 80's

I also didn't see pitstop II wich was my first serious racing game, but what was platform...hmm i think it was commodore 64 Big grin

My first really addictive game was Indianapolis 500 (shown as 1989 game in the vid), that was amazing good game and challenging enough, I have some memories how happy I was after my first podium finish. There was even engine overheating possibility so you had to take car to not push too hard Big grin

All time classic was of course the 1991 game (in the vid), Microprose F1 GP, wich had several real tracks and felt superb real. I remember my computer was at that time (was probably 1993) an Intel 486 running at 25mhz with 8MB of RAM and maybe 512kB of video memory, (yes, half megabyte) wich wasn't enough to provide full FPS in the game, so later I got a 50mhz CPU (think, 0,05 ghz, lol) and got decent FPS - that was by the way the first Intel cpu provided with a heatsink! (don't even think there was cooling fans needed at that time).

If I remember correct, there was even rain possibility in F1 GP, and of course the AI competitors were F1 drivers from a recent F1 season. And last but not least, it was possible to play against another computer connected via serial cable (never tried)
My first racing games were SNES Micro Machines, and when I got my PC in 2002 I played quite a lot of NFS 2SE and Colin McRae 2.0. I've met TOCA as well.
I sticked with NFS series till 2005 Most Wanted (newer stopped launching) but I also played Rally Championship, Master Rallye, Rally Trophy and some multiplayer in CMR 2004. I almost bought NASCAR game but picked something else then.
My second PC was bought in 2010 and I had some fun with DIRT3 and not so much fun with MW2012.

Now I'm pretty much playing only LFS.
#3 - Racon
The ones I liked enough to remember are, in approximate order:
  • Outrun (Coin-ops)
  • Stunt Car Racer (Amiga/PC)
  • Skidmarks/Micro Machines (Amiga)
  • Gran Turismo (various GT versions, on various PS versions)
  • Dirt II (Wii)
  • Live For Speed.
*edit: gamesnostalgia appears to have a PC port of the Amiga version of SCR! I know what I'll be doing at some point this weekend Smile
Quote from Racon :The ones I liked enough to remember are, in approximate order:

Thought I might do it in the same vein:
  • Need for Speed: Porsche 2000
  • Colin McRae Rally 2
  • Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City (PSP)
  • Burnout Legends (PSP)
  • Live for Speed (duh!)
  • Gran Turismo (PSP)
  • Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
  • Lotus Challenge Trilogy (Amiga)
Crash Time series, anyone? I remember spending hours pursuing suspects down the autobahn some 7-10 years ago Tongue

World Racing 2 was also rather unique for it's time, with decent open-world and hundreds of licensed cars.
my first racing game was lfs

it was also my first game in general
I believe my first experience was with one of the Touring car titles on PS1 - hours and hours of Donnington

Some which I can remember and are not in this video compilation (OK Indy 500 and CMR are but are both worth mentioning second time)
  • 1986 Out Run (hi blondy!)
  • 1989 Super Off Road (chicks in bikini after finish Big grin )
  • 1989 Deathtrack (using heavy weapons to blast your opponents of the track, awesome Smile )
  • 1989 Street rod (not really racing game tbh, more like car tuning)
  • 1989 Indianapolis 500: The Simulation (awesome, played this a lot, it had replay and TV sky camera, to watch all the crashes)
  • 1990 Stunts (track editor!)
  • 1994 Wacky Wheels
  • 1996 Big Red Racing (LAN! but unstable as far as I remember)
  • 1997 Carmageddon
  • 1998 Colin McRae Rally (PC version, LAN)
Big Rigs: Over The World Racing

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG