The online racing simulator
Graphics update?
(10 posts, started )
#1 - asyed
Graphics update?
Yea, I know Scawen is working on a graphics refresh, but will he *somehow* upgrade to DX11+? TAA would be nice with ENB injection, if I can get Boris's attention.
Wouldn't count on it.. The issue is that it would break Windows XP support and although..

Quote :Extended support for Windows XP ended on April 8, 2014, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates to most users. As of January 2018, Windows XP holds 3.36% of the whole Windows market share,[10] meaning it has 2.8% of the desktop operating system market share. Other estimates are as high as 4.05%. Its market share is no longer in double digits in the vast majority of countries.

XP is pretty much RIP since 2014 I guess LFS still needs to support it because... *Reasons unknown* ... Besides this, I think a different encoding suite is needed.

And then you have another problem with people which run a more recent OS version but they have a graphics card which doesnt support >DX9 .. The DX9 library is nowhere near exploited anyway
#3 - nacim
FreeScirocco pretty much summed it up nicely. But DX9 is still used not only for XP support, but also for Wine support. AFAIK, DX11 is still unstable with Wine, while DX9 games runs like a charm.

Temporal AA could be implemented by Scawen later too, if he ever implement motion blur (which is a must for a racing game imo), since he'll have a motion vector buffer to do temporal reconstruction.

But anyways, LFS doesn't have much high frequency detail in the distance, so temporal AA would not add much to the image stability compared to 2X super-sampling + 16x Anisotropic Filtering (+ MSAA 4x if you have post processing enabled) on a 1080p screen (which is doable easily on a modern GPU like a RX 480 or GTX 1060).
#4 - asyed
^ an exact quote of what I am running,
Quote from nacim :But anyways, LFS doesn't have much high frequency detail in the distance,

This... Moire... (is it the right word?) concerning armco does annoy me quite a lot and it didn't got away with the introduction of hi-res tracks like Blackwood. In fact, it looks like it gets worse. Do you see any chance to get that properly fixed with some different routine? My settings are already maxxed out (8xAA 16x filter) on my 965M.

Example; https://i.imgur.com/fJYNQ4c.jpg ... It starts to flicker when on the move.. Very distracting.

---
To add to this, if I set post processing to yes @LFS the color vibrance improves massively. But the moire gets even worse.. => https://i.imgur.com/K595EN0.jpg

Then you say hmm you probably have the wrong video driver settings. But.. https://i.imgur.com/O9s5TOP.jpg .. To me it seems not.. (sorry, for some retarded reason it is in Dutch).
#6 - BeNoM
Why would anyone want TAA? Temporal anti-aliasing is awful, it blurs everything and softens the whole image.
#7 - nacim
Quote from BeNoM :Why would anyone want TAA? Temporal anti-aliasing is awful, it blurs everything and softens the whole image.

TAA works really well with high resolutions, on a 1080p screen it blurs the screen a bit too much. At 1440p and above, it just add the small amount of AA needed to clear the aliased edges and stabilise the frame temporally.
#8 - asyed
TAA is the solution to Scirocco's problem.

If the fences annoy you , do what I did, download nvidia inspector and set sparse grid supersampling anti aliasing. PM me if you need help.
Kind of you that you would like to personally assist but I like a more open discussion about this because I believe many people are dealing with these kind of issues.

Besides.. I have a feeling that I understand what you are talking about.. The Nvidia Inspector driver settings certainly affect LFS! Thanks for this tip.. So you suggest these kind of settings?

(I used the base profile for changes, I noticed Live for Speed has its own entry though).

---
Any idea why the 200/150/100/50 overhead signs are still flickering in the distance with these settings?

I am talking about these signs at the end of the straight: https://i.imgur.com/HbAlBPX.jpg

Graphics update?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG