The online racing simulator
Good people!
(13 posts, started )
Good people!
Good people!
So when is this update ???
#2 - Ped7g
Which one? The blackwood was Sat 28 Jan 2017.

There's no other update in the testing phase, i.e. even if the devs would be like almost "done" with next one, it would be at least few weeks away, or more like a month. But judging from the last posts by Scawen it did sounds like there's ton of work with the new shaders and 3D engine (to update all tracks and stuff), so I don't think the estimated dates would be of any interest, as they would be probably way too into the future, and would very likely change a lot.

Basically you can think of it as there's no update in sight at this moment, just devs are working hard on it. Once it will be near (like within few months), you will surely notice, if you will check the forums from time to time.

edit: if you would check the guess date thread, you can see what is my personal guess (3/2020). And I put some thought into that guess, and it was not done to mock devs or something like that, I was just trying to estimate real date. But many people did guess 2018, so maybe I'm really wrong. Smile There're are still 10 months of this year.
Whenever it's ready
good, thank you very much for the enlightenment! you were useful to me .. =)
So I suppose it's really worth buying a pair of VR glasses, even I have a headache for it! my CPU has more d 10 years and is already an i5, but still it will not give ... I will have to update too!

Thank you so much,
and with my best regards.
Quote from Cesar Sa :So I suppose it's really worth buying a pair of VR glasses, even I have a headache for it!

Yes, it really is! And for LFS you don't need a super-machine to run it - my i5 coupled with a GTX660 was more than enough for perfect results on the Oculus DK2.
Would be more accurate to consider LFS abandonware at this stage?
And open up the source code, like what happened with Falcon 4.0.
The community development of the latter has been brilliant!
#7 - Ped7g
dasilva94: as it is actively being developed, you can't consider it abandonware. And source must be opened by author, which goes back to the first thing, about being actively developed. I.e. "not now" (if ever). (unless Scawen decides to go open source route right now, and selling basically just content packs, with less control about the future way of development)
Quote from Ped7g :dasilva94: as it is actively being developed, you can't consider it abandonware. And source must be opened by author, which goes back to the first thing, about being actively developed. I.e. "not now" (if ever). (unless Scawen decides to go open source route right now, and selling basically just content packs, with less control about the future way of development)

In fairness, does over 18 months without a single change constitute 'active development'? Remember the VW Sirocco? Never released and at this stage, the car has ceased production!

Scawen could at least release some Youtube videos documenting the development progress. But really we are in limbo with LFS, while the iRacings and the rFactors forge kilometres ahead
#9 - nacim
Quote from dasilva94 :In fairness, does over 18 months without a single change constitute 'active development'? Remember the VW Sirocco? Never released and at this stage, the car has ceased production!

Scawen could at least release some Youtube videos documenting the development progress. But really we are in limbo with LFS, while the iRacings and the rFactors forge kilometres ahead

Yes it does, LFS has a slow developpement process, but its updates are released with almost perfect stability each time. Maybe stop trying to compare LFS to other sims, because you'll only get frustrated. As Scawen said, nobody is stoping you from playing other sims and coming back when an update is released. Wink
Quote from dasilva94 :Never released and at this stage, the car has ceased production!

I decided to look it up, and turns out the production stopped in 2017.
Also nobody is stopping you to contribute to some already open sourced sim. And I'm not trolling you, I'm serious. Also if you will consider such option seriously, and compare the open source simulators with LFS, you will see yourself how much of love and skill did Scawen already put into LFS, and that it is not straightforward easy to surpass that even by *community*.

The amount of months between releases is irrelevant, as long as the main developer is stating that he is actively developing it, it is not abandonware. Heck, it's not like "abandonware" even means something, in legal world that's completely bogus term.
Quote from dasilva94 :...does over 18 months without a single change constitute 'active development'?

If you're going to try to argue a point, try not to exaggerate easily check-able facts. New Version 0.6R - Blackwood Update, Sun 29 Jan 2017

Also, the time taken to produce a watchable youtube video is time better spent on actual development, don't you think?

You're talking about someone else's work like you have some sort of shared ownership of it. Uh-hu
The overall community is this dead that it's not easy to spot this shared ownership anymore. But in the past it where all these communities within the community which made LFS shine. Not LFS itself.

There are too many discussions about this development thing by the way. Yearly cycle keeps continuing, more talk about development then actual development (which can be noticed). But when you start to spot this, it gets funny instead of frustrating.

Quote from nacim : playing other sims and coming back when an update

This is not how communities work. Or society in general.

Good people!
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG