The online racing simulator
FWD cars LSD
(4 posts, started )
FWD cars LSD
So ive never driven a car with an lsd in reality, so i wouldn't know how realistic the lsd's are in lfs.
What i don't understand is how is there such a HUGE difference between open diff and clutch pack lsd mainly in the first phase of a turn when you're not on power. You get such bad understeer with an lsd when not on power, mainly with fwd cars, its unbelievable.

So my question is, do cars with lsd's in reality get the same understeer when not on power ? Cause i just can't believe the difference you feel in this game

Also, how would you setup that to counter the understeer? cause i just cant figure it out
When entering a corner (let's say without power), the two wheels will not need to rotate at the same speed : the outside wheel is having more distance to do than the inside one.
When having an open differential, it is exactly behaving as needed, so compare to an lsd you are having less understeer : the lsd will tend to make the wheels to rotate at a less different speed, making the turn-in less easy. But it will have the advantage to help a bit on the braking zone, and what you may call understeer may be translated in more stability (this why there is a coast parameter).
When on power, the car (FWD) should not by magic turn more/have less understeer. But in the current physics (someone will correct me if I am saying bs), I think there is a common issue with tyre grip that make at least for FWD to rotate a bit too much when accelerating with a high level of power for the lsd (this is why you will see the setups to go quick in FWD using very stiff front antiroll bar and a locked differential.
On a more logic configuration, you will reduce the values of LSD to reduce the understeer, adjust the antiroll bar to give more or less grip (stiffen the rear antiroll bar to give more grip to the front for example), you can play with the dampers, the toe, the camber, the springs, caster, etc ... The best is to read (I found this : https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Basic_Setup_Guide ) over internet to find out what are the purpose of all the settings available.
I think Flotch covered most of it, I just wanted to add that I have driven a FWD car with an aftermarket diff- a Peloquin to be exact, and it being a gear-type (or Torsen) differential, it behaves much like an open differential under coasting and only starts to act when under power. This type of differential is not modeled in LFS (yet) so the two types we have are probably not the best choice for a FWD car. That being said, my "fastest" setups for the FWD cars are almost always the locked diff. Like Flotch said, it makes the initial turn-in more difficult but braking is much more stable and you can lay on the power very early in the corner.

This also shows some of the flaws in the tire model, especially driving the UF1000 which only has an open diff and very low power, you can still spin the inside front on a turn for about a mile under power which is not realistic at all.
I think Flotch is probably the best at knowing what to do with FWD cars in LFS, so you should listen to him Tongue

If you try and push a real FWD a lot which has a very 'locked' differential, on road, tyres, sure you should feel understeer because the inside wheel is pushing the outside wheel out.

The slip on LFS is a bit too high in this regard, but it simulates it quite well.

Fx. locked diff working on RWD cars for racing is quite impressive...

FWD cars LSD
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG