The online racing simulator
Drifting setups....
(19 posts, started )
Drifting setups....
Guys (and gals).

I can drift for real and have been doing so for some time (Got my drift license and wanna get to D1 baby... YEAH!) so I know how it works but im really struggling with drifting LFS. I've tried various setups, and tried tweaking them to the nth degree but something just doesnt feel right. The handbrake is slow to respond in my opinion and even when I do manage to initiate a high speed drift, keeping the throttle nailed into the corner the car just seems to straighten up unexpectedly. Cant really seem to hold drifts for too long either!?

I'm just wondering if there are any hard core LFS drifters out there with some personal setups I could try. My real drift car is off the road and im suffering withdrawal so really need to get LFS drifting nailed

Thanks in advance.
I miss this soooo much
Attached images
drifty.jpg
Quote from NovaTez :Guys (and gals).

I can drift for real and have been doing so for some time (Got my drift license and wanna get to D1 baby... YEAH!) so I know how it works but im really struggling with drifting LFS. I've tried various setups, and tried tweaking them to the nth degree but something just doesnt feel right. The handbrake is slow to respond in my opinion and even when I do manage to initiate a high speed drift, keeping the throttle nailed into the corner the car just seems to straighten up unexpectedly. Cant really seem to hold drifts for too long either!?

I'm just wondering if there are any hard core LFS drifters out there with some personal setups I could try. My real drift car is off the road and im suffering withdrawal so really need to get LFS drifting nailed

Thanks in advance.

Hope this can help you in some way http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
You could upload a replay of your drifting (problems) so we could pinpoint the problem better.

The car setup isn't everything, even with a crappy setup a proper driver can do amazing things. So just hang in there, practice, tweak your set carefully while paying attention what kind of effect each tweak does to your car.
Quote from NovaTez :Sorry, should have mentioned... been there, tried that.

What are peoples general opinions of these drift setups, just cant seem to get along with them.

All i can think of is setup the rear to be as loose as you can get it and use your handbrake to throw it sideways and be gentle on the thottle so you do not spin it out

BTW i do not have a clue how to make a set for drifting
some of my drifts setups are posted on inferno setup field, and i think they're not bad.

with them i can drift couple of laps without problem
maybe it's just me or this crappy saitek steering wheel but just been playing with a couple of different setups and it still doesnt feel right.

Drifting around a cone is a piece of cake in my car but on LFS it seems impossible.

Looks like I'll just have to wait until my turbo gaskets are done and go punish my clutch for real... it's more exciting anyways
I think though LFS simulates physics its obviously not perfect so it will be different from drifting your real car (nice car btw ) but its just a case of getting used to LFS i think .

If its any help ive attached my drift set up for xrt Its one ive made but not based on any figures or anything just guess work untill it felt right
I run the diff either with clutch pack or locked depending on tracks.

Edit: Added replay of me drifting round cones, first ever try but once you get used to LFS (which you will with time) then it is possible
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_dorifto.set - 132 B - 285 views
[MG] Greboth_BL3_XRT_4.spr - 83.4 KB - 264 views
Quote from NovaTez :maybe it's just me or this crappy saitek steering wheel...

I wonder if this has something to do with it? Seems like most people use either the Momo or the DFP. I don't really know anything about the Saitek wheel, but maybe you need to adjust your controls setup for it. If you've got the wrong amount of lock-to-lock or the wrong amount of compensation it can make a huge difference in how the car handles.
Quote from Cue-Ball :II don't really know anything about the Saitek wheel

£15.00 piece of junk from the rip off merchants otherwise known as PC world Used and abused now so that probably doesnt help either.

It only has 270 degrees lock which im gussing doesnt help, no feedback either but im wondering if that makes a huge difference?

I'll have a play around with some settings tomorrow and see what gives.

Thanks all
Quote from NovaTez :£15.00 piece of junk from the rip off merchants otherwise known as PC world Used and abused now so that probably doesnt help either.

It only has 270 degrees lock which im gussing doesnt help, no feedback either but im wondering if that makes a huge difference?

Must be an old Saitek... The newest R440 has only 180° lock-to-lock... Which would help with faster countersteering, but if you're used to higher locks, you'd maybe be better off with a Logitech Driving Force Pro... Or you wait a couple of months and get the G25 instead...
Quote from NovaTez :It only has 270 degrees lock which im gussing doesnt help, no feedback either but im wondering if that makes a huge difference?

270* of lock shouldn't be a problem. Lots of people play with the DFP and use 500-720*, and lots of people play with wheels like the old wingman which, IIRC, uses 270* as well. It seems as though having LFS setup properly for your particular wheel is much more important than the number of degrees lock-to-lock it uses.

Not having force feedback....well, *I* would find that to be a problem, but plenty of other people get along fine without it.
I use a dfp but i usually have my wheel set to 360 degrees or less fro drifting simply because trying to turn to counter steer fast enough while fighting the motor i cant do lol. 360 is just hard enough so that every drift isnt easy.
Saying this though if i just wanna mess around (drifting or car park in demo) i lock it to 200 with 0 turn compensation which makes drifting, sliding and just messing around so easy.

The lack of ffb might b the reason for you finding it hard to drift. I have my ffb turned really low just so i can turn the wheel easy enough but it is personaly preference.
#19 - Smax

Drifting setups....
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG