The online racing simulator
linux ubuntu
(15 posts, started )
linux ubuntu
I'm trying out wine on linux ubuntu. It seems like everything is ok untill I start a race. It shows the silhouette of the car fom above and thats it. Its kind strange.
try alternative shadows in options menu
I'll give that a try thanks!
Did that work? I will have Linux on my new HDD this month so I´m quite interested Smile
It didnt seem to change anything. My xp is running a little slow and I was hoping linux would run a little faster.
A fresh install of XP is likely to have a bigger impact if it has worked nicely before.

No matter how good WINE is, I think it's still an additional layer of translation that Windows doesn't have to do. And graphics drivers are more optimised and refined on Windows than on Linux.
I would like to do that but my funds are limited. I got and computer from a garage sale and had to use linuix to reset the windows pasword, started playing around with it and thought I would give it a try.
Here's how to get it working:

1) install and run "winetricks"
2) select 'select default prefix'
3) select 'add/install a windows DLL'
4) install d3dx9_36

LFS should work with similar (in my case a little better) performance than your windows install.
I'll give that a try.
Whats the best frame rate so I know its runnning at full speed.
The frame rate is independent of the simulation rate, but ideally you'd wanting to be getting near 60fps to have a fluid visual experience.
Quote from EeekiE :The frame rate is independent of the simulation rate, but ideally you'd wanting to be getting near 60fps to have a fluid visual experience.

As LFS a single threaded application one thing is tied with the other. Ideally you would want to reach 100 fps (as it runs at physics at 100 Hz). Anything lower and you are losing visual information, anything higher and you just get duplicated frames. That is why a fresh installation comes with V-Sync off and frame limited to 100 fps Thumbs up

Besides the visual side of things, dipping below 100 fps affects your inputs and force feedback feeling. Though this may only be a problem at 60 fps or below, as the difference above that is not that big.
Engine tick rate can exceed rendering frame rate even in a single threaded application. It can also obviously be completely independent in a single threaded application too.

Plenty of old shooters that calculated the speeds of things on CPU tickcount rather than render rate. Although in some, certain frame rates where everything lined up nicely could allow you to jump 1cm higher or something Wink

But I'm not sure about LFS's implementation.
Quote from kturner :I'm trying out wine on linux ubuntu. It seems like everything is ok untill I start a race. It shows the silhouette of the car fom above and thats it. Its kind strange.

What version of Ubuntu and WINE are you using? LFS hasn't needed any sort of hacks to run nicely in WINE for quite a while. If you're using an older version of Ubuntu, you might need to install a more up-to-date version of WINE from this PPA and install "wine-staging" package instead of "wine". That will give you the freshest version of WINE available.
I'll have to look when I get home. It seems to be running ok on xp now. I uninstalled some junk so I think that helped.

linux ubuntu
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG