The online racing simulator
Well yeah it has always been obvious that it was a "disaster" when the independent and much loved Oculus sold out to the data collector Facebook. It has always looked to me like a failure of judgement by Palmer Luckey, due to his lack of real world experience. They did manage to get to the DK2 stage without such a backer and could have sold that as the CV1 as originally planned, and got right on with their CV2. Rift could have been a fantastic monitor on new types of game worlds, instead of Oculus trying to become a software shop. It all seems obvious to me, but then Palmer is a billionaire and I'm not even a millionaire so maybe I should just STFU. Big grin
"Who wants to be a millionaire?"
I don't really think having absurd amounts of money is a really good aim. Personally I think independence is a better thing to have. I sometimes feel quite sad for Palmer that he is now controlled by people like Zuckerberg and they override the things he has promised. It's his own fault of course but he could have been so much more than a rich figurehead whose promises are constantly overridden by people trying to make money by questionable means.
I've menaged to free up 2x2.5m of space in my room so that's even beyond the minimum 2x1.5m requirement of the Vive, so on May 9th I've ordered one. Already recieved the "PreOrder Authorization" email on 14th saying that it "will ship soon". So it will definitely ship before my Rift which was estimated to ship in May when I've ordered it on January 7th, but the new estimate they given on April 12th is 6/27/2016 - 7/7/2016 - so that's a half a year wait. It looks like HTC will fulfill all pre-orders by the end of June.

So Rift's launch looks quite pathetic compared to Vive's launch. Oculus is dealing with a much bigger amount of orders and HTC have years of experience in manufacturing and distribution, so it's not much of a surprise that HTC is doing better, but still...

Having 2 headsets wouldn't make much sense, so I will probably sell my Rift when it arrives with some good profit. I'm tired of waiting for it and I don't want to spend another half a year waiting for the Oculus Touch. Overal tired of their shit.

EDIT: My 9.05 order was shipped today - 26.05, so within 18 days Smile
-
(iranwater) DELETED by iranwater
I think having the mirrors flat rendered instead of 3D is a bigger problem than i expected. Several times i tried to move my head around to see if there is something hidden in the blind spot, but of course no luck as mirror image does not take into account head position Shrug

So in case you are still working on VR improvements please put this on the todo-list Smile
(And while at it you could make the mirrors adjustable Big grin )
No news since nearly 2 months, I hope it's the calm before the storm ( in a good way Smile).
I'm sure it is. Smile
I'd be happy with a new progress report on the tyres physics and a clear roadmap of the future of LFS. Smile
Westhill : Thu 2 Apr 2015
Rockingham : Sat 19 Dec 2015
(261 days)
Upcoming track Eric is working on : Mon 5 Sep 2016

It is coming ... Wink
VR thread based, sort of....

The new AMD 480, VR capable at U$A 200/ 175 Poundings. 29 June 2016.
http://kotaku.com/amds-new-radeon-rx-480-is-vr-ready-for-200-1779922256

"Let’s say it again, because it’s borderline mind-boggling: The first Polaris-based Radeon graphics card will cost only $200, and it will deliver roughly GTX 980-level performance according to AMD."

Official burble has 'VR' 3 times in the first sentence !

"First Polaris architecture-based graphics processor to deliver premium VR capability with less than half the power consumption; expected to accelerate the size of the VR-ready install-base and dramatically increase the pace of VR ecosystem growth."

Best VR Experience.
Quote from MikeB :I think having the mirrors flat rendered instead of 3D is a bigger problem than i expected. Several times i tried to move my head around to see if there is something hidden in the blind spot, but of course no luck as mirror image does not take into account head position Shrug

So in case you are still working on VR improvements please put this on the todo-list Smile
(And while at it you could make the mirrors adjustable Big grin )

Agreed! I just got a DK2 a few days ago and the first program I tried was LFS because I knew it should work out of the box, and it did. Everything looks great but the mirrors break the immersion a little bit. Maybe LFS could be the first sim to correctly implement 3D mirrors Smile
The mismatch between the physics rate and the DK2 screen refresh rate is sometimes quite annoying but otherwise the VR implementation with even the menu in VR is great!
This one single update has brought me back to LFS after 4 years of MIA.
Just noticed this:
Quote : Look Roll axis function now has a full 360 degree range

Would be cool to have 360° roll for the free shift-U camera too. Currently it locked to +-90°
Having upside-down camera that then flips around would be good effect in movies. Hard to explain but on TV it gets used sometimes when showing the startgrid of a race.
Quote from Gutholz :Just noticed this:

Would be cool to have 360° roll for the free shift-U camera too. Currently it locked to +-90°
Having upside-down camera that then flips around would be good effect in movies. Hard to explain but on TV it gets used sometimes when showing the startgrid of a race.

Same goes for pitch here Thumbs up
Is there any love for Steam Controllers in this patch? Smile
Quote from AnnieC :Agreed! I just got a DK2 a few days ago and the first program I tried was LFS because I knew it should work out of the box, and it did. Everything looks great but the mirrors break the immersion a little bit. Maybe LFS could be the first sim to correctly implement 3D mirrors Smile
The mismatch between the physics rate and the DK2 screen refresh rate is sometimes quite annoying but otherwise the VR implementation with even the menu in VR is great!

I'm a bit confused about the flat mirrors, as this youtube clip shows them to be 3D. Is this another build? Check 1.30

Ah, thank you AnnieC. I spent half of last night playing around in the menus utterly confused as to why my mirrors were still flat, lol.
Just tried the test patch, and all is well. In fact the mirror effect is bloody fantastic now!! Much appreciated Smile
This thread is closed

New version 0.6P - Updates in VR and controller support
(95 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG