The online racing simulator
Quote from Eclipsed :What's so limited about LFS?

Cmon you can't bring back those who raced 100 000 laps on the same tracks over 10 years, at least we can gain some new souls if all the contents would be overhauled like the new westhill, and to bring back those whos suffered longtime boredom we need more variables ( real time weather, rain etc ) to the existing track for less repetitiveness, and new contents for the S3 license to raise the devs income.

But all these fancy things are useless if the games won't reach gamers where they are, unless the dev have unlimited marketing capability to advertise their game outside steam and other popular sociale platforms, but for now GOG, steam, etc are the most cheap and efficient way to sell more and revive the game at the same time.

But hey, scawen has the same idea with oculus store, so I don't see him refuse to sell his game on similar platforme in the longterm futur.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
With the current model has spread LFS, modding is not needed primarily for developers. Since no one will buy the extra content (for example S3), so do not expect such a move. Entering the trading platform Steam, it seems to me, are not needed. Whom did you find there? LFS is a very specific game is not for the casual gamers. Also, many beginners (first demo users), which first launched LFS, discourages the drive of these cars, and not the last role in this is the default set, which I think is disgusting to ride on Blackwood. Yes, leave "hard_track" and "race_s" it is necessary, if only to demonstrate the car's settings possible, but need also add a normal settings for Blackwood, preferably is selected by default for demo users. That is, the more carefully treat the novice, who came first in the LFS and discover a genre of car simulator, and not with the settings, which have over half lap killed tires, because at the slightest brake pedal is pressed the machine locks the wheels and goes sliding. The first reaction in these: "What the hell? How to drive this sh*t?", The result is: uninstall. It's my personal opinion. And sorry google for translation it in to eng. =)
Quote from t-race :With the current model has spread LFS, modding is not needed primarily for developers. Since no one will buy the extra content (for example S3), so do not expect such a move. Entering the trading platform Steam, it seems to me, are not needed. Whom did you find there? LFS is a very specific game is not for the casual gamers. Also, many beginners (first demo users), which first launched LFS, discourages the drive of these cars, and not the last role in this is the default set, which I think is disgusting to ride on Blackwood. Yes, leave "hard_track" and "race_s" it is necessary, if only to demonstrate the car's settings possible, but need also add a normal settings for Blackwood, preferably is selected by default for demo users. That is, the more carefully treat the novice, who came first in the LFS and discover a genre of car simulator, and not with the settings, which have over half lap killed tires, because at the slightest brake pedal is pressed the machine locks the wheels and goes sliding. The first reaction in these: "What the hell? How to drive this sh*t?", The result is: uninstall. It's my personal opinion. And sorry google for translation it in to eng. =)

Once again, even those who are considered "serious racers" are on steam ( AC, RF2, automobilista... ), so it's a nonsense to tie steam to casual players.
That's me to the fact that nothing good happens in Steam
Quote from lfsrm :Once again, even those who are considered "serious racers" are on steam ( AC, RF2, automobilista... ), so it's a nonsense to tie steam to casual players.

True that. And also true that LFS needs at least an overhaul to the first time experience to make the new player as familiar with the game as possible.
For now, LFS just asks for controls, color and setup for the XFG (why there is this screen here, it's totally useless and makes people think that the paintjob and setup will be set once forever), asks to accept EULA and boom, you are left on the main screen, no idea on where to start.

IMO, LFS needs at least to ask if the player want to do the training, and if he clicks yes, launch the first lesson of the training mode., remove the car setup screen and guide him better on what is what.

For example, it took me several years to understand what the CT bar meant. Ya right

To get back on the subject, I think LFS should be sold in a platform like GOG or Steam, but not until S3 has more content, graphics engine gets an overhaul and first time user experience (FTUE for short) is corrected.
i can be raser is no broblem Big grin

any need rase just sent for me ok Smile

ps sory for any alfabat missing sometime spell not komplet Shy
I would say wait 1-2 years for updates, and then we'll see if you think LFS needs to be on steam. Money isn't the problem for slow development. If you read the forums you'd see that money was the reason Scawen finally started working on LFS again.

And I'm not bashing Steam users as being only casual gamers. I'm saying that if people want to play LFS they can come to LFS.net, its not too hard Smile. This is an, 'if you build it they will come' scenerio.
Quote from bobloblaw :I would say wait 1-2 years for updates, and then we'll see if you think LFS needs to be on steam. Money isn't the problem for slow development. If you read the forums you'd see that money was the reason Scawen finally started working on LFS again.

And I'm not bashing Steam users as being only casual gamers. I'm saying that if people want to play LFS they can come to LFS.net, its not too hard Smile. This is an, 'if you build it they will come' scenerio.

Lol when you see people have only steam shortcut and the FB page on their browser home webpage, you sure are underestimating how people know about games nowadays.
While thinking how to get visibility to LFS; could it be possible just to create live streams of ongoing activity on public servers?

Could the game have more support for such streams? For example there could be 1-3 extra seats for commentators on a server? And what if we had rentable livestream hosts?

This is just a crazy idea that came in my mind. How does this sound? I notice nowadays people love to watch on the screens anything that is happening live. Even on demo-servers there is very often very nice races with unforgettable moments (in fact my time spent with LFS is doubled after I learned to save replays, I save almost all races I join and watch them later, great entertainment)

I think the idea is wonderful that any unofficial race happening there could have more audience.
#62 - 5tag
I don't know about modding but I think they should outsource stuff to the community via tendering. Like:

"Hello 3D artists! Once again we need your help, this time with a mid to late 90s touring car class. Polygon count is 9000-12000, we aim for 4dr sedans but we'll allow one estate as well. As always you may seek inspiration, but no direct copies of real life counterparts allowed. We will provide a tyre model for reference, you can see the detailed specifications of wheels, aero, safety etc. down below. Top 5 entries will receive 500 £ each and get their vehicle put into the game after final touch-ups by Eric."
Quote from 5tag :I don't know about modding but I think they should outsource stuff to the community via tendering. Like:

"Hello 3D artists! Once again we need your help, this time with a mid to late 90s touring car class. Polygon count is 9000-12000, we aim for 4dr sedans but we'll allow one estate as well. As always you may seek inspiration, but no direct copies of real life counterparts allowed. We will provide a tyre model for reference, you can see the detailed specifications of wheels, aero, safety etc. down below. Top 5 entries will receive 500 £ each and get their vehicle put into the game after final touch-ups by Eric."

It trully would be great if they follow this idea
Quote from Wenom :Lack of content can easily be solved by modding. But the developers must first allow it. If it is more like a burden for Eric to develop new cars and tracks for LFS then why not allow community to create them. No need to tease Eric any more. Let Scawen do what he wants and what he has energy to do for. Same goes for Victor. But if any time comes that the developers decide to keep silent for many years then it would be better to atleast allow subforums for mod-cars and mod-tracks. Just to see what is going on currently and so on. Pretty simple stuff really, no panic, no stress, many improvements can be made without too much of an effort.

In general I agree.

Personally the main reason I stopped playing was due to the limited tracks....when we could create different routes with the open layouts it gave me a bit more interest....but that was of course limited because basically I had been around " that" corner many times before.
I never wanted more/different cars as I felt it was a pretty good selection....and there was always the tweak thing ( that I never used,) if you wanted to change how a car performs.

I look at the game now and try to imagine starting as a total new guy....say FBM at BL1...sure my interest will wane after X laps...( never did like FBM or BL1 come to think of it), the point is that new tracks will create both interest and competition.
Quote from t-race : Also, many beginners (first demo users), which first launched LFS, discourages the drive of these cars, and not the last role in this is the default set, which I think is disgusting to ride on Blackwood. Yes, leave "hard_track" and "race_s" it is necessary, if only to demonstrate the car's settings possible, but need also add a normal settings for Blackwood, preferably is selected by default for demo users. That is, the more carefully treat the novice, who came first in the LFS and discover a genre of car simulator, and not with the settings, which have over half lap killed tires, because at the slightest brake pedal is pressed the machine locks the wheels and goes sliding. The first reaction in these: "What the hell? How to drive this sh*t?", The result is: uninstall.

+1
Quote from lucaf :While thinking how to get visibility to LFS; could it be possible just to create live streams of ongoing activity on public servers?

Could the game have more support for such streams? For example there could be 1-3 extra seats for commentators on a server? And what if we had rentable livestream hosts?

This is just a crazy idea that came in my mind. How does this sound? I notice nowadays people love to watch on the screens anything that is happening live. Even on demo-servers there is very often very nice races with unforgettable moments (in fact my time spent with LFS is doubled after I learned to save replays, I save almost all races I join and watch them later, great entertainment)

I think the idea is wonderful that any unofficial race happening there could have more audience.

I have done this when [CAD] Destruction Derby - server was popular, eventually did catch few people there by stream with commentary
Quote from cargame.nl :Demo is still JOOS - CAR'ing like crazy.. But it seems not important enough to address..?

99% of demo or licensed people have no idea why this error pops up. Like all JOOS and OOS errors.

It may be a good time to consider this. Probably due to being busy on a lot of other things recently, I am not really aware of this issue. Can you explain why it is happening? Sorry for missing any previous explanations, but I'm listening now.

Please can you look at these possibilities, and tell me which one you think is more of a concern, and if there is another case I have not thought of?

1) Obviously it happens when a modified guest joins a non-modified host, and I have not regarded this as a big problem. I suppose in this case it would be nice if there was a more useful message to the guest, suggesting they join with an unmodified version of LFS?

2) And there is the other case when an unmodified guest (could be a new player) joins a modified host. In this case, the host should be private so this does not happen. It is of course very bad if modified hosts are publicly visible and I would have to do something about it.

It's not really easy to distinguish between these two cases but I could think a bit about it.
I'm pretty sure that in most cases is the thing with modified guest joining normal server. These are just kids,who just now downloaded LFS - seen many times questions in local latvian social network "I just installed LFS,put in mods,why I can't join any server?". They have put some BMW E30/Nissan Silvia/whatever and want to go into server to pose their cool ride without understanding about online uncompatibilities and without knowing that noone will see their mods anyway. Not sure if there is some solution. Maybe LFS could do some vob files check when launching and give a warning about having them modified and say that's online-incompatible? Or something like that...
I don't really see the issue. If somebody modifies a game that is not meant to be modified, they may get errors. I would place focus on disrupting the efforts of the cracking scene that has been discussed. But most importantly, work on what you want to work on. I think i can speak for most of the community in saying that if you're making progress in any direction, we're happy.
Quote from nacim :
For example, it took me several years to understand what the CT bar meant. Ya right

care to explain what it is?
CT = clutch temperature. When it's red,it's overheated and start to slip.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG