The online racing simulator
What's the deal with VW Scirocco?
(70 posts, closed, started )
I've noticed a lot of screenshots, news and other stuff, such as this:

that suggest that there's supposed to be a VW Scirocco in the game. But there isn't. Umm... why?
#2 - Bean0
You mentioned it by name. You have delayed it by a further x months.

Please refer to it as 'The German Car' in future.

Smile
AFAIK and what my thoughts are, the VW Scirocco should be released with the Physics/Tires update, which, should be 0.7 or 0.8 if there's no mayor problems, so we are talking like 1 or 2 years from now on, unless Devs surprises us.
Of course im talking from ignorance, so I may be wrong, but those are my thoughts about Scirocco and Physics.
I don't know if Scirocco will be part of S3, as before it was stated it'll be S1 content from what I have seen here on the forums at least, but it may be subject to be changed.
That's all I know by now about Scirocco since 2008/2009-present.
Im sure someone will explain better than me Tongue
#4 - lfsrm
Now you're taking us into a sensitive topic, for some this VW scirocco is the symbol of LFS decadence, broken promise or false hope, leaving the drama part, the story is this car was announced on late 2008 but not released yet because of the game tires physics which I suppose aren't well compatible with some real life data and gave a weird behavior to the car, and now we're waiting to see a new version from scawen, for now it's only "simulated" through lfs car viewer.

But I find that its pretty risky to advertise the game with a no functional content, it's true that licensed contents is appealing to the public, but for this one it's really a bad decision...

It's a free addition to the s1/s2/s3 holders btw.
Well, to be honest I expected to be told that a deal with VW went sour or something.

I find the responses rather shocking. I mean I get it that there can be development issues that can delay a new car but... 2008? That's just plain weird. It's ONE car we're talking about here.

I refuse to believe that it's the devs' fault. They have shown that they are capable of writing damn good software. And it's not like they've been lazy with development. Just recently, we got performance and stability improvements as well as VR support even before there's a decent amount of people who actually have VR headsets.

Here's my theory: VW wanted the Scirocco in LFS to advertise it but they couldn't swallow the hard fact that perhaps it's not all that brilliant of a car compared to the other cars in LFS so they've been delaying it until the public's opinion on the Scirocco is no longer relevant. Either that or VW's been pushing the devs to give the car unrealistically good performance so that it looks impressive in the eyes of the public and the devs have been shutting them down consistently.

...or maybe I should lay off Sherlock for a while. Still, I find the whole situation weird.
#6 - lfsrm
There is nothing weird, the dev found himself stuck in a huge and complex task called tires physics, that practically delayed the whole things that was supposed to be released with the new and shiny s3, but things went different and the dev lost his motivation from 2009 to 2014 when he start suddenly to return slowly into lfs development because of his VR interest.

You are new into LFS so its only natural that you don't know what really happened, and If I was Scawen I will be glade and motivated to see someone new with a good impression about lfs development.

But well you are pretty lucky, he's more active now so you don't have to wait for updates like we used to.
Yes, we announced it but did not release it because we didn't like the way the car had to be set up. It showed up flaws in the tyre physics. I went into a massive push to sort out the tyre physics but it turned out more difficult the more I found out about it as the months went by. That time was also at the end of a period of many years of very hard work. We also moved house to a different part of the country after our children were born and work ended up slowing, except for vital updates.

Eventually I got into cross country cycling and stopped smoking which is good because I am healthier and will hopefully live longer. The VR support was a boost for us and now I'm well beyond stage 1 of my cycling hobby. I'm able to work a lot and still do a few rides each week. I've been trying to get this stage of VR development sorted so I can get back to the tyre physics which will allow more types of vehicle to be simulated.

EDIT: Removed the final part, the explanation is above. We made some decisions that weren't the best but I believe we are getting back on track. The new tyre physics will really help, along with new content.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, we announced it but did not release it because we didn't like the way the car had to be set up. It showed up flaws in the tyre physics. I went into a massive push to sort out the tyre physics but it turned out more difficult the more I found out about it as the months went by. That time was also at the end of a period of many years of very hard work. We also moved house to a different part of the country after our children were born and work ended up slowing, except for vital updates.

Eventually I got into cross country cycling and stopped smoking which is good because I am healthier and will hopefully live longer. The VR support was a boost for us and now I'm well beyond stage 1 of my cycling hobby. I'm able to work a lot and still do a few rides each week. I've been trying to get this stage of VR development sorted so I can get back to the tyre physics which will allow more types of vehicle to be simulated.

Honest answer all around, thank you for thisSmile
New type of vehicles, Eric working on a new track ... you WILL have to share some snapshots Big grin
LFS
Cover ANY type of racing!!!!

( depends of course how you look at it lol )
"...which will allow more types of vehicle to be simulated..."

Do you know what I'm really missing in LFS? TRUCKRACING!!! That would be awesome Smile
Quote from michal 1279 :"...which will allow more types of vehicle to be simulated..."

Do you know what I'm really missing in LFS? TRUCKRACING!!! That would be awesome Smile

Aww ... completely agree!! That would be insane! Thumbs up
I think if you seek the cars they wanna see S3, there is everything!
As a test I've made a slight change to the first text at www.lfs.net so it doesn't show that picture including the Scirocco. I've tried to make the text a little more compact as well so the news item below is more likely to be seen.
Quote from Scawen :As a test I've made a slight change to the first text at www.lfs.net so it doesn't show that picture including the Scirocco. I've tried to make the text a little more compact as well so the news item below is more likely to be seen.

Good decision, people will not ask anymore about that car.
Quote from lfsrm :Good decision, people will not ask anymore about that car.

I still feel it needs some kind of picture though Big grin
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I still feel it needs some kind of picture though Big grin

So I suggest this Big grin:

or this Petals ( to show the seriousness of the sim for those who dislike good graphics in simracing ) :

Quote from lfsrm :Good decision, people will not ask anymore about that car.

Haha u think?
Wish I saw the "final part" only because this is the first sim that ever did what I was looking for with vehicle dynamics, years ago, and Scawen is a very interesting fellow with tons of talent and clearly a shared passion for cars. Pretty cool to see him respond to this thread the way he did.

Indeed this is just a game, but it's a game that really fed what used to be a tiny niche back in the day.

I got S1 just after it came out, and I remember how excited I was that day that S2 got relased - I was looking forward to trying it all day, work seemed long. That was a long time ago now. It would be very nice to see LFS take some leaps and bounds if that's still a possibility.

Anyway, I hope all the devs are doing really well, will be cool when something major drops one day.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, we announced it but did not release it because we didn't like the way the car had to be set up. It showed up flaws in the tyre physics. I went into a massive push to sort out the tyre physics but it turned out more difficult the more I found out about it as the months went by. That time was also at the end of a period of many years of very hard work. We also moved house to a different part of the country after our children were born and work ended up slowing, except for vital updates.

That clears it up, then. Thank you for the explanation and best of luck in your future endeavors! Smile
Take your time Scawen, no rush Smile. I always liked LFS for its simplicity and physics. I've tried other sims, but I always come back to LFS and even if current tyre physics aren't THAT accurate right now, it taught me how car could behave on certain situations in real life. So I wish you good luck and keep on making this sim as close to reality as possible Smile
There is a rumor that says the beloved Volkswagen Beetle will be ending production in 2018.

So the Scirocco must be good for years yet.
Quote from Bean0 :You mentioned it by name. You have delayed it by a further x months.

Please refer to it as 'The German Car' in future.

Smile

The "WHAT" car?
Quote from Racer X NZ :There is a rumor that says the beloved Volkswagen Beetle will be ending production in 2018.

So the Scirocco must be good for years yet.

that rumour is a little bit "late", volkswagen stop his protuction on 2005-2007 i dont remember the date, and the last volkswagen sedan was send to a museum on germany.
EDIT: i read the news, is about the "New" beetle, i never like that car but the beetle 2012 is like a baby porsche Wink

For the other news is good to know about the new cars, i hope the devs could add a generic 60´s F1 thats could be great
This thread is closed

(70 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG