The online racing simulator
DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
Just bothered reading the Readme for the .9 update. Never noticed this before. Actually, never read this far through the readme before either !

"If your system has a motion platform, then DiRT Rally should be able to control it. This feature is completely untested beyond checking that the basic data output is correct, and as such should be used entirely at your own risk. The output format is designed to be compatible with the "Live for Speed" outsim motion platform format. To enable, just open the hardware_settings_config.XML file and edit the motion attributes:

<motion enabled="true" ip="192.168.0.10" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="0" />

enabled - Set 'true' or 'false' to enable or disable the motion platform
ip - The IP address of the motion platform
port - The port of the motion platform
delay - the time between data updates from the game (1/100ths second).
extradata - This should always be set to '0'"

Codies give a heads up to LFS !
They're using that since DiRT 1 (or even earlier?) and also mentioned LFS before IIRC. Their implementation is pretty shit though. It even causes for crashes in DiRT2 (they never bothered to fix it) and I've heard it does the same for DiRT Rally.
I think the "Grid" games too.
Also LFS-Dashboard (display gauges on phone) is supported by several games..
If I remember correctly: beamNG, Rig of Rods (which is the 'original' beamNG), Euro Truck Simulator,...
This game is really bad according to this review. Probably reviewer isn't playing the same game I am. Or maybe he has driving aids on.

Are there any league drivers over here? I'm taking part of RaceDepartment Rally Club events, which isn't exactly league, but more like club events where you can test new cars and stages, but also get time references with other drivers. It's great fun and works for me.
It's a good game, if you like rallying, I'd recommend it.

Quote from TypeRacing :This game is really bad according to this review. Probably reviewer isn't playing the same game I am. Or maybe he has driving aids on.

Are there any league drivers over here? I'm taking part of RaceDepartment Rally Club events, which isn't exactly league, but more like club events where you can test new cars and stages, but also get time references with other drivers. It's great fun and works for me.

80% isn't 'really bad' surely?
There are 2 absolute must haves in this game.

1. The right skins.
2.Dirtier mod.

Buggy verges ruin it though Frown
there s3 now
Dirt 1.1 now out, 'Console release !!!' So PS4, Xbone et al can try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUbRNUF6JI&ab_channel=IGN

OK, the above was console advertising crap, but it's still a great PC rally game.
(OK, EDIT: that should read, serious games mag game review information. that is what I've been told to say...., Console players are real gamers,..... sorry for that first statement, my bad......)

But still, the Renault Alpine seems 'WAY' too good. Much faster than anything else in 60's class. Seriously fast.....
Has anyone tried the latest update ?

IMHO - AWESOME !!!!!! The graphics 'seem' better, new cars, runs really well.
What do people think ?

I'd been playing with Automoblista and Bathurst etc but this is just several steps better with graphics and physics.

The new intro is Uber-Console, but the PC version is IMHO, much better.

Opinions please Omg omg omg
Even Automobilista's RallyX physics are better than Dirt Rally's physics in my opinion.
Why is that ?

In my opinion, Automobilista's physics are the let down of the game. I think it's great but the physics are a bit below other games. (LFS, RBR, Dirt etc)

With Dirt, what do you think the issue is ? Is it a Force Feed back thing, as I don't really find an issue with the physics in Dirt personally. I have however found that experimenting a lot with FFB and car setup makes a huge change to feel and handling of the cars. I also think that the default settings are worse than most other games.

I have really hated some cars until I've had a serious play with setup, both car and wheel. That is an issue with the game, but when you do that, the game does reward you with awesome graphics and great handling.

Could you please expand your statement please, I've played both games and that's not what I've found. However racing games (all games) are totally subjective when it comes to that magical 'feel' so all opinions are right. Smile
Quote from k_badam :Even Automobilista's RallyX physics are better than Dirt Rally's physics in my opinion.

Best rally physics, better then RBRSmile In a sim that's not even focused on rallying
Rally physics when you're driving in tarmac?
Apparently AC even beats RSRBR, Can't you see the Ice, Snow, gravel build up in the vid ?
The road surface is clearly down to the dirt base after being swept and then painted black with ripple strips to make rallying easier........
(Love AC, but it's a track game)

Does anyone else feel the 1.1 update did something to the graphics ? It seems to be a different light thing. It's hard to explain but if you fly from the UK to NZ, you notice the difference, and the game seems the same.
Picked up this after playing at a friend's. Really enjoy the track modeling. (I'm not treating this as a sim so I don't mind the physics in general.)

Is it just me or is the AI highly inconsistent across different combos? I keep a comfortable gap ahead of the master level AI leader in most runs but every now and then there's a stage that makes me go "huh?" and retrying that combo leads to the same result.

I see some old "low grip mod" downloads floating around that change physics/setup XML files for each car to lower the grip. But as of version 1.22 the corresponding XML files don't appear to be real plain text files. Did they lock it down?

Edit: Some of the XML files are now binary XMLs but plain text ones work just fine. However the physics files are indeed locked down.
Quote from Keling :Picked up this after playing at a friend's. Really enjoy the track modeling. (I'm not treating this as a sim so I don't mind the physics in general.)

Is it just me or is the AI highly inconsistent across different combos? I keep a comfortable gap ahead of the master level AI leader in most runs but every now and then there's a stage that makes me go "huh?" and retrying that combo leads to the same result.

I see some old "low grip mod" downloads floating around that change physics/setup XML files for each car to lower the grip. But as of version 1.22 the corresponding XML files don't appear to be real plain text files. Did they lock it down?

Yeah sadly no physics mods available anymore. It's been quite a while now, I have googled every now and then to see if there are any people out there working with the physics, but surprisingly it seems that modding groups haven't been digging in to this. Maybe the devs made sure that Dirt can't be modded?
Imma gonna quote myself now.

Quote from BigPeBe :Yeah sadly no physics mods available anymore. It's been quite a while now, I have googled every now and then to see if there are any people out there working with the physics, but surprisingly it seems that modding groups haven't been digging in to this. Maybe the devs made sure that Dirt can't be modded?

Things have turned for the better. Dirt Rally RFPE mod 0.4:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/dirt-rally-rfpe-project.12130/

Every car isn't featured yet, but it absolutely transforms the game for the cars that this mod supports. Difference is like night and day. Still not perfect, but a lot better than it was. RWD cars I still can't really enjoy, they seem to still feature this weird habit of self correcting the car from a slide without any real driver input. On AWD cars this isn't that much of a problem, because they have a tendency of straightening out with throttle IRL too, so in this game it just feels a bit exaggerated (ie. I would prefer a more oversteery setup myself).

Finnish stages were absolutely unplayable in the vanilla game, but with these physics dem Scandinavian flicks with 555 Impreza on the famous Kakaristo is just heaven.
*************************WARNING! DO NOT USE WITH ONLINE/MULTIPLAYER FEATURES AS IT WILL TRIGGER A VAC BAN WHICH IS PERMANENT! ONLY FOR OFFLINE USE************************

Looks good, I'll give it a test thanks Smile
Ok - Very quick test, this is interesting Smile

Lancia Delta S4 on stage 1 greece.
Identical car setup
I did need to change the FFB settings down a bit for RFPE.

First test was with RFPE 0.4
RFPE - feels like driving on gravel, look at the loud pedal, wheelspin...
modulate throttle, feels like a car on gravel. There is weight and pendulum effect. Flickable with practice, I need to do more work with FFB to set feel but a good start.

Stock Dirt....
Bugger.... I really liked this game but it feels like driving on tarmac, you can accelerate and it just grips. even on corners its like tarmac....
Hmmmmm

I suggest doing a clean install and giving this a try. I've only tried the Lancia but this feels better than RSRBR, and certainly looks better.
It's only a 4 meg download so give it a try.

Damn, a 4 day holiday, I wonder what I'll do !!!!!
10€ (until tomorrow) for Dirt Rally if you have not get it already :
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally
that was my case, I took it. I will see if I find some times to spend on it Wink

edit : That is a bit too much arcade for me, but it is quite fun anyway Na-na

DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG