The online racing simulator
Logitech g920 problem
(33 posts, started )
Logitech g920 problem
My logitech g920 wont get reconised aldo my pc reconisses it and the logitech site says it compateble anybody knows how to fix it?
Yes if found the problem i had an older version of the logitech profiler and it works fine now but thanks anyway bro i apriciate it
Thumbs up
A quick warning on the G920, this is from logitech.

"Driving Force is designed for the latest Xbox One™ console racing game titles. You may never race with a regular controller again after you experience G920 Driving Force.

G920 Driving Force also works on PC with select titles using Logitech Gaming Software."

This is NOT a PC wheel, it is an Xbox wheel with limited PC support. So if it doesn't work with some games on a PC that is why.
The forum is full of info on this.
https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/G920-on-PC-is-a-disaster/td-p/1436049
*pinches himself*

What am I seeing?!

Racer X - are you okay? Ya right
Quote from Racer X NZ :A quick warning on the G920, this is from logitech.

"Driving Force is designed for the latest Xbox One™ console racing game titles. You may never race with a regular controller again after you experience G920 Driving Force.

G920 Driving Force also works on PC with select titles using Logitech Gaming Software."

This is NOT a PC wheel, it is an Xbox wheel with limited PC support. So if it doesn't work with some games on a PC that is why.
The forum is full of info on this.
https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/G920-on-PC-is-a-disaster/td-p/1436049

Sorry, but you are completely wrong (I'm tempted to say "as usual"). G920 speaks both proprietary XBox protocol and Logitech HID++ protocol. The latter is implemented in drivers for PC. On Windows all you need is a recent driver.

If your G920 is not even recognized as an input device, open Device Manager (WinKey + R, type "devmgmt.msc"), find the G920 in the list, double click it and and open the "Details" tab. On the tab select "Hardware Ids" from the dropdown menu and check the output. There should be a line that says "USB\VID_046D&PID_C262". It can't check at the moment so the actual output might be a bit different, however, the IDs "046D" and "C262" are important. 046D is Logitech vendor ID, C262 is the ID of G920 when it's switched to the PC mode. If you see C261 instead, the wheel is still in the Xbox mode. If this happens, make sure that you have the driver installed correctly and maybe try to plug the wheel in a different USB port.
Whilst I admire your desire to prove me wrong I feel that your advice would be better aimed at correcting Logitech and their information on their website regarding a product that they manufacture.

It is Logitech that claim that the 920 has limited PC support, a claim seemingly supported by the many people posting on their forum.

Please let us all know when you have corrected the manufacturers apparently false claims about their product. /s

G920 Driving Force also works on PC with select titles using Logitech Gaming Software.
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-nz/product/g920-driving-force

Try reading their webpage !

EDIT: The list of compatible titles is now at the bottom of the page
I don't care who I prove wrong, it's just that a considerable portion of nonsense I read on LFSF originated from you. The webpage says that the list of "Compabible games" lists games that are *known* to work with a particular wheel; known as in *tested*. This does not imply that games that aren't on the list won't work. There is a list both for G29 and G920. Also, Live for Speed is specifically listed as tested with the G920 but not with G29.

Since there is DirectInput on Windows there is no reason why any of the Logitech wheels wouldn't work with any game that makes use of it. Logitech doesn't have any proprietary interface of their own that games would have to use.

I consider the bullcrap one might read on Logitech forums mostly irrelevant as it mostly consists of rants coming from people dumb enough to not install up to date drivers and etc.
I'm sure the Flat Earth Society won't want to read this response (finally) from Logitech on the cause of the (non existent to you) issue.

The new software does NOT allow users to create profiles, unlike the older logitech software, hence the answer below.

There is also new Logitech software (22/2) here

It is dated 15 February 2016

"Re: All with G920 and G29 PC Issues In The UK Please Send Your Story to BBC Watchdog
Options
‎02-15-2016 12:48 PM

Dear Users,

First of all we want to apologize for causing confusion and frustration. Here's some background on how our wheels work.

When users install their wheels on the PC they will install Logitech Gaming Software which provides a fully functional driver for Windows. When developers include devices like G920 and G29 in their game to work out of the box, this is called a default profile. This should not be confused with profiles in Logitech Gaming Software. This default profile is integrated by the developer and is not related to the Windows driver for the wheels. This developer supported default profile allows the game to see the wheel and assign the appropriate keys and axis values to work well with the game out of the box without user configuration.

Older games and certain developers may not have included a default profile for the new wheels usually because the games came out before the new wheels were released and there has not been new default profiles created by the developer. Dirt Rally, and Project Cars were released near or after the release of the new wheels and therefore have default profile support for G29 and G920 which is why they work great.

We are working with many, many developers to include default profiles for upcoming racing games and are working with them to add support into legacy racing games. As we get them to update their games, we'll post updates on this forum.

The Logitech G Team"
What does this have to do with anything? As can be inferred from the text you quoted, "profiles" in games are merely a convenience thing.

If you had a tool to switch the G920 into the "PC" mode, it would work even without any additional driver because the wheel appears as a standard HID device. The Logitech driver is needed to switch the G920 from its default "Xbox" mode to "PC" mode. It also provides support for force feedback and firmware updates. The driver uses DirectInput which is the standard Windows way for applications to talk to input devices.

Just so we're clear, what I wrote above is not speculation, I know it for a fact. I'm posting this with hope that your inaccurate claims won't confuse any other G29 and G920 users out there...
So you should talk to Logitech and tell them that they are WRONG !

The G29 and the G920 are DIFFERENT WHEELS, Hardware, firmware etc !!!!!
G29 is PC and PS4, G920 is XBOX with LIMITED PC SUPPORT. Just because Windoze and XBOX are both Microfloppy doesn't mean they are capable of working together well.
Hell, Microfloppy have lost the plot with 10 several times so......

SO, ARE YOU RUNNING A G920 ?
Yes or No...... ?

Logitech are the ones posting this, and your the one saying I'm wrong for linking to their posts and that Logitech are lying ..........

One of us is clearly an idiot.

Right, it's clearly me for linking to Logitech's posts and you are absolutely right, as your posting from a position of complete ignorance.
There, feel better now ?

And so, for the rest of us in the real world, back to reality, if you have a G920, download the latest updates as they will include your profiles for the latest updates for games. And the firmware update. And keep checking for later updates.

My advice would be to ignore logitech and stump up the exta to Thrustmaster for a 150 or 300.

Or get a G29, or a G27 (As I have) then this latest rubbish does not apply. FYI if you have a G27, DO NOT download the new software. If you search on the site for G27 it points at this software, if you look at the details, it does not work with the G27.

Stuff this farce Logitech, I suggest that you you want a wheel, just save up for Thrustmaster wheel.

But, then you get to deal with their pedals, (wots a clutch ?) which was why I got a G27 (And the G29 extra US$80 shifter is free with that) ........
It all comes down to you misinterpreting Logitech statements. And yes, I do have a G920 and it works perfectly fine, even on Linux (but without FFB for now).

So, for everyone who is not Racer X, the bottom line is: G920 is fine to use on PC as long as you have drivers that support G920. It will work with any game title what uses DirectInput (which is basically every game out there).

As for one of us being an idiot, I think I'll let the jury decide that. I rest my case...
"I too emailed the CEO.
Reading the responses (which are quite patronising) it looks like they are still not accepting responsibilty for their shoddy software support.

It's your fault Logitech, not the developers, not ours.
Write some drivers for your hardware and it would be brilliant.

Make the drivers and profiler have the same features as the old one for the G25 and G27.

Actually read the posts that are being made here by many people."

MadCatX,

I am reading many posts on many forums regarding this G920 wheel and clearly you need to post your solution widely as you seem to be the only person on the internet who has a solution to peoples issues with this wheel and creating working profiles for many games. I am yet to find any information , even from logitech, to resolve this issue.

For everyone else, the new software removes much of the abilities the old profiler had.

If you could post simple instructions on creating a game profile with the new software that would be great, If I cross post you solution I will credit you for this fix Nod (TPPA et al)

(This thread is already being picked up by Google re the G920)
The list of games are only a list of games they have tested with the wheel but you will also notice it states that it will work with any games that support Logitech force feedback wheels.

Also if you look the list it names more pc games than xbox games and finally I struggle to find where it says "limited" but will also add my eyesight is not what it used to be so please enlighten

bish

EDIT : If you mean where they state it works with selected titles then it they can only claim it works with them due to only having tested with them so need cover there own backs
Also they are saying that older games do not have default profiles for the wheel(use out of the box) but that does not stop you from using the wheel and it may mean you have to set it up as a custom wheel for now
What part of "WORKS ON PC WITH SELECTED TITLES" is difficult to understand ?????

Please define "SELECTED". Here is the standard definition.

select
sɪˈlɛkt/Submit
verb
past tense: selected; past participle: selected
carefully choose as being the best or most suitable.
synonyms: choose, pick, hand-pick, single out, pick out, sort out, take, opt for, decide on, settle on, set, fix, fix on, adopt, determine, designate, name, nominate, appoint, elect, specify, stipulate, prefer, favour.

Pointless argument really, if this wheel actually works then we wouldn't have no end of people saying it doesn't, and also saying the new software doesn't work to allow users to create profiles.

So, you all claim it works, thats fantastic. That will stop any one else saying it doesn't work as the G25/G27 did then. Big grin.

I fully expect to never to hear again that this wheel doesn't work.
As, I don't have one and really don't care about this Logitech rubbish. Petals

I'm sure you can all explain to all the users having issues with the G920 not working with 'non select games' exactly how to get it working. I will point people to pm you for the solution.
As you claim there is no issue. Thumbs up
what part of "only tested with" do you not understand, you obviously have no idea how wheels/controllers are detected and work on a pc, as long as your pc recognises it as a wheel/controller then it will in game. Sometimes and with some wheels it may be only be detected as a xbox360 controller (thrustmaster Ferrari 458+ 458 cockpit for example)

If you read the post on the Logitech forum explaining this it states that some games will not have a DEFAULT profile for the wheel and means you would have to set the wheel yourself so wont be "out of the box" playable meaning you may need to make a custom wheel profile in game

"When users install their wheels on the PC they will install Logitech Gaming Software which provides a fully functional driver for Windows. When developers include devices like G920 and G29 in their game to work out of the box, this is called a default profile. This should not be confused with profiles in Logitech Gaming Software. This default profile is integrated by the developer and is not related to the Windows driver for the wheels. This developer supported default profile allows the game to see the wheel and assign the appropriate keys and axis values to work well with the game out of the box without user configuration"
(source - http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/G29-G920-Profiles-Information/td-p/1491562)

example of how you have to setup if no default profile
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-logitech-formula-force-ex-settings.80811/

I would assume that those having problems are expecting "out of the box" gameplay and could be unsure how to create a custom wheel profile in game.

The seleced games are games that have a default profile so you can basically plug it in and drive(out of the box)
Quote from Racer X NZ :What part of "WORKS ON PC WITH SELECTED TITLES" is difficult to understand ?????

Please define "SELECTED". Here is the standard definition.

Isn't it ironic that you want to school us about the meaning of the word "selected", yet it is you who fails to understand what that sentence actually says? The sentence is Logitech's way to protect themselves against morons extraordinaire who might expect their wheel to work games that do not support that kind of controller at all. I mean games like first-person shooters, RTS strategies and other obvious examples.
Quote from Racer X NZ :Please define "SELECTED". Here is the standard definition.

One word: Pebcak

For someone who used to fix computers, it's weird to not get it...

No offences intended.
Quote from MadCatX :046D is Logitech vendor ID, C262 is the ID of G920 when it's switched to the PC mode. If you see C261 instead, the wheel is still in the Xbox mode.

I don't know how you came to know this, but it helped me immeasurably.
I created an account just to post that using your help I have made a solution to fix this issue (where simply reinstalling drivers and changing usb ports was ineffective).

Hopefully it helps others who come across the thread later. It's just a small python script but needs a little setup.
Quote from MadCatX :Sorry, but you are completely wrong (I'm tempted to say "as usual").

Smile
I have a G29 [which is the PS version of the G920] and can confirm that it is a console wheel FIRST AND FOREMOST as well as a wheel that can be used for PC.

Support and software functionality on the PC are less than what you get on a G25 or G27 for example. But having said that, I've yet to find a game where it didn't work as I wanted it to.
anyone have popcorn...

entertainment at it's best!
Quote from Hashbrown :I don't know how you came to know this, but it helped me immeasurably.
I created an account just to post that using your help I have made a solution to fix this issue (where simply reinstalling drivers and changing usb ports was ineffective).

Hopefully it helps others who come across the thread later. It's just a small python script but needs a little setup.

Thank you, that solution does explain some of the issues I have heard about with the 920.

Logitech g920 problem
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG