The online racing simulator
Is LFS going the right way?
(47 posts, started )
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :
Quote from cargame.nl :Life.

Cant argue with that

the sim is literally dead, we all know that! And i agree with you all that real Life wastes time to develop the product and everyone knows that the dev-team won't make profit if things stay like that. Theoreticly Scawen could earn his money just with LFS and live a life as a rich man (maybe he already is). But also if he didnt want to choose this way it doesn't mean he did something wrong, it's his decision and we have to respect that. It's up to the community to keep LFS alive...

And agree with some players here that new content won't change anything... Sadly
Quote from RussianAttack96 :It's up to the community to keep LFS alive...

Start with yourself... I did go all across the continent this year, last year, the year before and the year..[you get my point]. With people I wouldn't have known without LFS. In fact, I am just back from the airport right now... Six years ago I started a demo server for my friends/online contacts just to have a little online drive, wasn't even interested in S2 until one of them received a S2 license as a Xmas present.

Earlier years I was a bit annoyed about LFS development because there was no communication and not any sign of movement whatsoever but come on we just moved to 0.6J six weeks ago and there was some news here on the forum about again a new patch.

If you are unhappy the root cause of that is you.
i bought LFS YONKS AGO. I belive it has the best simulation and engine in any platform. however.
running on DX9 is utter joke. and Im very upset that scawen and victor etc have not put my money to good use.
I have not played LFS in at tleast a year and a half. and I dont intend to anymore
unless
DX11 and new GFX engine

New cars and new tracks.

and telling me you improved the GFX by making it easier on the GPU shows that you have zero idea and even care about what people are saying.
Give me a refund you lazy F
For what? You did 100.000 online kilometers. That are quite some minutes of driving for 24 pounds. If you go to a whore you get maybe 20 minutes if you are lucky (depends on the country though).

I guess you are an adult by now but you give the impression you are twelve.
seinfeld, you are just a keyboard warrior trying to feed your ego by posting a reply like that shows you have no respect for yourself as well as the people on this forum. Do us a favor and find something better to do, the last thing we would ever need on this forum is someone like you who thinks he can run his mouth just because he ''knows'' something...clearly you don't know a thing.
By the way, I just noticed that it is not all about physics and graphics, it also needs to be fun. Pretty sure about devs thinks that scenario as well.

We do need at some point something new, like new cars and tracks. But most important thing with physics is: Fun!

It is a huge pleasure to make a mad layouts whatever I can do while being creative, so much fun. Too bad I constantly run out of objects, though it is pretty sure it is 20% found of all the possibilities. If no new tracks, then new layouts

Also, custom cars ( air intake restriction ), doing new classes, cool thing to make, tough it is because not new cars, but that's what it shows: There is still many new things what people have not found.

And those league section. As there is not that much people around here anymore, it does not mean the quality is going down, as some people ( MM LV cough cough, don't worry, I understand your point! ) thinks, the quality have just changed it's position.

What I am more worried about than having no S3 or new cars or new tracks, etc..., when physics might come as realistic as possible, it might kill the fun, being challenging and hardcore, but then again, it always reveals new possibilities and new stuff. Like a double-edged sword.

But then again, it will always come as very good result to please us all.

Game/Sim needs to be fun to play a sim. Simple.

That's what I got in my mind yesterday. Cars are not realistically fragile when hitting wall or other object, but that is, however is not problem at all.

( Sorry, my brains got mixed up while typing, maybe that is shows how I think things, heh. )
Quote from cargame.nl :For what? You did 100.000 online kilometers. That are quite some minutes of driving for 24 pounds. If you go to a whore you get maybe 20 minutes if you are lucky (depends on the country though).

Big grin
#35 - Be2K
i played the beginners guide. Just in case not to spoil anyone, it make me rethink about we "forced" Scawen into his work.

I'll hope and don't think that scawen feels the same as "coda" Wink But it changed the way i see Development now.

I've faith into them, that we get something in the near future.
Hi, I'm matchstick. I'm a noob. Not just a noob to this game but to playing any game online. Have a read might give you a bit of a different perspective.

This game is old. Without updates the game will eventually die. But that's outta all of our hands so let's no go into that.

There seem to be a number of fast people playing but as you all seem to say it nothing like the golden years of this game. However there are heaps of noobs out there, many of who can get treated like garbage because they are a "filthy noob." To me the best chance you have of stretching this game out is by encouraging noobs. New people that will get better and faster and add to the fun.
Don't get me wrong, I've had huge hours of fun playing this game, but I've also had a number of times where I have thought is it really worth it.

Here's just a few of my views and experiences.

It's a computer game.
We all come on here to have a bit of fun. We're not fighting for the world championship. Most of us are not even professional racers, and are far from it. Most people are not interested in qualifying so the grids are jumbled up. In a 12 person grid the lap times can vary by over 10% with people of different experience, knowledge, speed, and style. If you think there's not going to be the odd acco, you're kidding yourself. People make misjudgements and mistakes especially when a grid is random and filled with such a wide variety of drivers. You want to skip out on qualifying, great, we all wanna race, but this is the result you get. live with it. I like that there is a strong encouragement of clean racing as their should be in a game like this, but people make mistakes, we are human and many of us are learning. Even in the pros, I can't remember the last time I saw a decent length race where there were no accidents.
I believe everyone should be given a chance. It doesn't take much to work out if someone's having a proper go or not. In my opinion If someone's doing something wrong, tell them. "Leave more space" "brake earlier" "stop blocking" "spectate when crash" give people a chance to realise they're getting on your nerves and change what they do. If they persist, then kick. If they kicked and comeback still not learning, then ban. Or obviously if they are deliberately trying to ruin people's game then ban too. I've seen unnecessary kicks and bans quite regularly. Ill give you a couple of examples from my experience.
One day I had a number of hours to kill. I jumped online to race. For about 3 hours on a busy server I raced without incident. Generally I kept out of everyone's way even if that meant pulling off to the side and just letting people past. After running well for a while I had a go at trying to race with the people at the front. They were doing 13s. I normally sit in the 14s but if I'm on a good run I get the odd 13 or two. So I had a decent crack and was going well in the middle of the group then had a bit of a moment and ran wide. I thought i'd caught it but then it turned pear shaped and took out one of the faster guys before I could spectate. I got kicked by a priority vote for that, after 3 hours of racing without incident. Not even the chance to explain or apologise.
Another occasion I was side by side with someone. I left them space, they left me none. Again after plenty of clean racing they blamed it on me, and tried to get all their mrc teammates to ban me. I spent a bit of time watching this person in spectate after, and numerous times saw their style. If someone was in their way they pushed and rammed their way through them and gave no one any space, and everytime it turned out worse for them, they'd try and get all their mates to try and ban the person that they had rammed into and lost out.
These are just two of many incidents I've been involved with or witnessed in the last few weeks.

So... With people like this how do you expect noobs to hang around when they don't feel welcome. Instead of encouraging noobs, I dare say many just get pushed away before they get the chance to come to grips with it all. Don't get me wrong, their are plenty of great people online racing that seem quite friendly, but the f wits could ruin it for everyone. I race online because besides the excitement of racing real people, there is little point in racing ai that's doing nearly 2 - 3 seconds a lap slower. But I often wonder why I do when I get into positions where I'm too scared to actually race anyone because if I, or even they, make a mistake or swap a bit of paint I could be treated as if I were a criminal and should do time for it. I often struggle to pass someone considerably slower then me as I fear the possible consequences.

So all in all I guess, if you play nice you'll have more friends to play with! For those who don't already, try and encourage people instead of crucify them for trying. Then you might have some new fast racers that will at least slightly help cover some of those that have moved on.

Cheers :-)
Unless you do leagues, you're kinda stuck with demo servers which are full of people who haven't paid for the game so spend all their time doing 3 lap races with one combo, which is why they often have bad attitude (not tarring all with same brush though). If you can, I'd recommend racing at the league I race in at http://absolute-beginners.nl which is weekly races but that's early Monday morning for you.
Quote from englishlord :Unless you do leagues, you're kinda stuck with demo servers

Oh?

Although I'd rather not see Aussies or anyone from that region on the server .. Nice, communicative, generally friendly etc. but their internet signal needs to travel half the globe so they are -ALWAYS- a problem to other people on this Europe based sim.

I am not surprised he gets the blame of a crash, they see something which is completely different. You can see it for yourself in a server sided replay. But the knowledge about internet, lag and distance is quite low nowadays. Education has dropped throughout the years? Anyway eehhh, so ye, you don't want this in a league also I guarantee you that. Oceania has the most laggy and highest amount of packet loss I've seen throughout the years. They need to organize their own community but for some reason are incapable of doing that.
I think there are higher priorities than teaching about computer game lag in schools. Wink If I remember rightly, new people can't go on cargame.nl s2 and have to grind on cargame.nl s1 to "unlock" cars or have I remembered that wrong?

There are players in ab.nl that are from outside europe (Canada, Indonesia, there was a regular Australian player for years) and yeah there are occasional problems on the first lap as the races are 45 mins and the players are regulars then incidents aren't that common and once the field has spread it's barely a problem. Only people that have real probs I've seen is Iran, their Internet appears to perform like dogshit without exception.

I do agree that Australians should get together if only for reasons of time convenience.
Quote from englishlord :I think there are higher priorities than teaching about computer game lag in schools. Wink If I remember rightly, new people can't go on cargame.nl s2 and have to grind on cargame.nl s1 to "unlock" cars or have I remembered that wrong?

Thats correct, or demo, or GTI. People who can read immediately understand this. If you are considered safe enough you can enter a server with more experienced people. I think it's a rather normal setup to prevent 'noobs' to crash half the grid all the time because they think they can drive a car.

Its just one lap, not a big deal. You weren't ditched into a man size deep swimming pool without one lesson of swimming do you? And because no system can see if you are actually capable of keeping a car on the road you have to think of systems which can sort of predict most drivers. Its something of this year anyway, before everyone could jump into GTI right away... [with all kind of consequences]. Funny thing is I came up with this current setup because S2 was empty most of the time, only the GTI server got attention, now its the other way around again within the same year! Conclusion; people shift in their desires a lot.

But I don't believe in a free for all, whole world together in one spot, woohoo yeah! principle .. You see numerous demo examples, it simply doesn't work.

LFS is already for at least 5 years in a crisis situation, racers scattered over multiple servers across the world would be ideal of course. but eehh I don't think thats going to happen in the next 5 years either. Too many games, too many people killing their life with shooters and what else. There is simply a general lack of interest for real-like racing. And the interest which still exists is mostly orientated in the cracked scene, killing what is left of LFS. But hey, who cares. As long as you have fun yourself isn't it?
The best thing is to open official facebook account. Many people dont even know this game exists. This is era of social media and LFS just can keep up the pace with it and hasnt exploited the true power of it. It is absolutely free and i think few thousand likes would make this site recognizable and people would come.
Quote from jopapuba :The best thing is to open official facebook account. Many people dont even know this game exists. This is era of social media and LFS just can keep up the pace with it and hasnt exploited the true power of it. It is absolutely free and i think few thousand likes would make this site recognizable and people would come.

True.

The current situation is definitely dangerous, no doubt about that. I mean only 11 cars in a Nations League is not a thing we could be proud of. The other leagues except of the CityLiga all have the same problem. Simply not enough drivers to fill the grid.

On the other hand we've seen an awesome 10 hour GTR endurance race in June, organized by the CityLiga with a decent stream and Dave from Cargame as a great commentator. It felt like in the good old times of MoE and GTAL. About 30 teams, lots of battles, many drivers of which you'd have thought they will never come back to LFS joined in for that one. IMO this shows that the interest in LFS endurance racing is still there although I have to admit that the race was set about only one month after the Westhill patch and the initial euphoria about it was also responsible.
Quote from Timo1992 :The other leagues except of the CityLiga all have the same problem. Simply not enough drivers to fill the grid.

Hm no..I raced in different leagues was/is good enough start grids. Ping-wise that works totally okay, it is all europe.
But I noticed there is not much overlap in terms of people.
For example cityliga is well known in german/english part of LFS and in this forum but I did a season in an italien league: you would be surprised that nobody there has heard of CityLiga.
Or take spanish league cesav: I do not race there but from I see it has two grids, livestreams, very similiar to Cityliga. It is never mentioned on this forum.
There is also the language barrier. That is especially is relevant for things like "Nations Cup." How would other nations know about it if it is only in this (mostly english) forum?
That is why now the calender on LFS website is good, but it is a long-time thing until it will get used by more leagues and until drivers get used to the idea.
Cesav is extremely big.. In the high days they even did three servers but yeah, there is not much interexchange of drivers between leagues. The drop of the old forum software and calendar I see as a mistake last year. The impact was high because a lot of league organizers relied on this. Now it's back which is a very good thing, too bad that there still isn't a RSS feed export option. I realized last year there needs to be in-game advertisement as well because in public racing their actually -was/is- some interexchange.. The XMas Cl21 @12/12 announcement is now been watched by 314 individual LFS S2 accounts all across the world (and I can mention the whole list if I wanted)... But I am getting tired by manually entering/copying all this league data all the time. It's not that I ignore some leagues, its just too much to manually track all the time.

LFS has a bad reputation with promoting their own stuff. It's not a shame, just something which deserves better attention.

Although the complete redesign of website/forum ànd reprogramming in one year is pretty impressive.. Maybe 'we' are getting back on track, no idea.
Quote from cargame.nl :Cesav is extremely big.. In the high days they even did three servers but yeah, there is not much interexchange of drivers between leagues.

It's nice to be apreciated outside our country Smile We have weekly races with 50+ drivers, not as big as the 90+ of the old days, but we are not a small bunch of people there hehe

I agree on the lack of foreign people in leagues. Our website/forum/rules is translated into English (and French, though it'd need an update), but we weren't able to bring as many non-Spanish speakers as we intended.

Everyone is welcome to join us if they want: www.cesav.es

Is LFS going the right way?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG