The online racing simulator
New(ish) PC build, terrible FPS in full screen...
Hi all, recently upgraded from an early 2000s P4 3.6ghz based machine to a slightly more modern quad core machine, full specs are...

Win 10 home x64

Q9650 cpu 3.0ghz

8gb DDR2-800 samsung RAM

512mb HD5450 GPU

750w silent cooling PSU

I know my GPU is far from good, but this very card in my old p4 machine i mentioned (that only had 3.0gb ram and a weaker PSU) used to give me around 60 fps with all graphics settings at about half way, it used to bottleneck quite badly with lots of cars on turn 1 etc but still OK, hell, my agp hd2600 pro in my previous p4 2.53 could manage early 40s with modest settings!

but with this build, i can get around 20 fps, if that, regardless of whether i have the graphics settings on minimum, half, full, etc, barely 5 fps difference between lowest and highest settings, 1 car alone or a 20 car grid makes no difference to fps at all, all my GPU drivers are all up to date and everything, running LFS in win7 compatibility mode doesnt help.

i have tried the usual v sync on or off option which made no difference, 16/32 bit resolution also has no effect, i have an old monitor though so am limited to 1280x1024 anyway, however, the only thing that gives me 90 odd FPS with a full grid and all graphics settings on full is if i run in windowed mode but with it maximised, the problem is only with full screen mode for some odd reason.

this is an average reading using 4 scenarios with a full grid, cockpit mode, SO long...

maximised with full graphics ~95 fps

maximised with minimal graphics ~180 fps

full screen with full graphics ~ 16 fps

full screen with minimal graphics ~ 22 fps

I did have a search to find an answer but to no avail, so has anyone else encountered this issue with full screen mode?

Thanks in advance Smile
After that long post I was expecting some info about your CPU load, or a screenshot of the physicss wait/sleep chart in LFS.

How are your CPU temps? Maybe it is thrttling a lot causing all that.
Try reinstalling LFS?
Hi Whiskey, i didnt even know LFS had such a chart, but i have found it now, in windowed mode the sleep box is empty, the physics box has a narrow line all the way up and the wait box reading is about a quarter of the width of the box, and full screen mode the sleep box is again empty, the physics box has a line around a quarter as wide as the box all the way along with some tiny spikes in, and the wait box is a solid red bar.

As for heat and stuff, after opening CPUID HWmonitor and leaving LFS playing a 20 car AI race on SO long in full screen for about 15 minutes gave a max temp of 50 degrees,on average barely 45, and CPU usage as a whole wasnt even at 20%, so its hardly stretching its legs really.

@forbin, this a brand fine new install of LFS done last night, the PC has barely been built for 2 weeks, its literally near enough the only program on the entire PC.
Bad pc.

Get new pc.
While thats an amazingly insightful reply, the point im making is that ive had lfs running a lot better than this on a pc much worse than this.
Do you have any uneeded programs running in the backgroud? If not then email the devs because I have an even worse computer and it runs fine
I don't get why people so much want win 10. It's a new computer you can still easily format and go back to the best Windows edition. (Which is 7).
#9 - nacim
Quote from cargame.nl :(Which was 8.1 and now is 10).

FTFY. I don't get the point of staying with an old version of a program when the newer deliver more features and some performance improvements.

OP, can you give us some actual infos, like if you used an old hard drive with Windows installed, or if you installed all your drivers, if you tried scanning your PC with Windows Defender and Malware-bytes to see if you have malwares, etc.
Programs wise i have nothing running that i dont need, i only installed windows about 2 weeks ago which was an upgrade from a fresh install of 7 only the day before (i ballsed up the upgrade the first time by doing a clean install rather than an upgrade so reformatted and started again)so its clean as a whistle in that respect, plus once i got 10 running i used ccleaner to remove any remnants of the old 7 install and i also used the wipe free space feature, i then used defraggler after id installed all the programs i want at present as well.

The HDD is maybe 4 years old, bog standard 500GB seagate barracuda i bought new when i originally bought 7, its been a faultless drive and in honesty hasnt really done much as i never used to use the old P4 rig very much.

I have got malwarebytes pro and no malware or anything found, not even a single tracking cookie Smile

I have just installed LFS on my parents ancient compaq sg3100UK which has a pentium D @ 3.0ghz (barely 100 points higher than my old P4 on passmark) only 2gb ram and some onboard ****y of a GPU and i get mid 20s on full detail on that so god only knows, as my new build far surpasses this thing.

I have just bought a second hand nvidia gtx550ti off one of my mates for £30 as my hd5450 really isnt up to much, so ill see what happens when i get that fitted, it should fly as the CPU is more than capable of anything LFS can throw at it, or anything that i can throw at it in fact, the other day i tried to load it up by running a virus scan, LFS in maximised windowed mode, encoding and saving a 4 hour long file into mp3 format and watching an HD video in full screen on youtube all at the same time, never got close to 100% usage and still had about 1gb of ram left unused as well.
Okay, thanks for the info. I don't know well my stuff about old AMD cards, but my guess is that it don't like newer Windows or it's really too old for this (and don't forget that LFS was updated to DX9 and requires Shader Model 3.0 now). The GTX 550Ti should be more than fine though, LFS can run on a modern IGP after all ! Smile
My HD5750 dos not have any problem with Windows 10. If this is relevant to the matter I don't know xD
Card in, drivers installed, LFS opened, full grid on SO long, full screen, full detail, ~200fps, more than happy with that Smile

New(ish) PC build, terrible FPS in full screen...
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG