The online racing simulator
Problem with 2 GPU's
(16 posts, started )
Problem with 2 GPU's
Hi guys! .. I'm a frustrated LFS player, that used to play on a stationary PC, with 1 GPU.

Now i've bought a laptop (MSI Ge70) with 2 GPUs
1x Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
1x NVIDIA Geforce GTX 765M

Very nice PC, and running everything like a charm.. Except for LFS.

The problem is, that I'm not able to choose my NVIDIA card to run the game! REALLY annoying.. I've tried a lot of things like forcing it via Nvidia control panel, telling it to use that card for LFS, didn't succed.
I've also tried finding it in game, but it isn't showing up under "Adapter", and finaly, i've tried deactivating the card in windows, witch results in black-screen when i try loading up the game...

I'm getting really frustrated with this, and i've not been able to find any solutions that works for me..

Have any of you had this problem? AND Found a solution for it? ... I really hope someone can tell me what to do.. ... :'(
Didn't change anything ... could still not choose my NVIDIA card..
It's been reported that the dedicated GPU won't be used with applications that use Direct3D 8 and older. The latest test patches use D3D9 though.

Why do you need to run LFS on the nVidia card anyway? HD4600 should have more than enough power to run LFS.
Well.. it kindda does run, yeah. BUT. when i try to up the graphics a little, my frames drop below 30 .. and yeah i kindda figured out that it was a matter of direct3D or directx somehow... But again.. Schouldn't it be able to do this anyway? i mean, this i guess is getting a more common problem amongst us...

My old and slower PC runs LFS better because of this.. and that's bad...
I have a Clevo W230ST with the same GPU combo. LFS runs just fine with the 765M , and I'm not even using the DX9 test patch.

Quote from So9boi :Well.. it kindda does run, yeah. BUT. when i try to up the graphics a little, my frames drop below 30 ..

Are you sure there is nothing else wrong with that computer? HD 4600 can run Battlefield 3 and Skyrim just fine, it should breeze through LFS without breaking a sweat. I had a laptop with 2 generations older HD 3000 and all Source engine-based games worked perfectly. The only thing HD 4600 might struggle with is high AA.
Quote from MadCatX :HD 4600 can run Battlefield 3 and Skyrim just fine

No, it can't. Maybe kind of single-player playable at lowest setting 720p, but not "just fine".

With high AA in LFS even the 765M slows down.
Quote from Shotglass :The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 1366×768 DirectX 11 medium detail preset
Battlefield 3: 1366×768 DirectX 11 medium detail preset
Deus Ex Human Revolution: 1366×768 DirectX 11 normal detail MSAA on

and it barely breaks 30

Unless you're suggesting that LFS can tax GPU just as much as these games I think I made my point.
for whatever reason lfs is able to make framerates tank on almost any machine as soon as theres more than maybe 5 cars on screen
Isn't that more due to a CPU bottleneck in most cases?
Quote from Shotglass :for whatever reason lfs is able to make framerates tank on almost any machine as soon as theres more than maybe 5 cars on screen

Depends how you define "tank", but even 6 years ago it was possible to get nearly 50fps behind a full grid of BF1 AI.
To get back on topic, can this be some odd power saving issue? I know for certain that HD3000 can average ~ 20 FPS in LFSBench at 1600x900 with 4x AA with and i5-520M when running through frikkin' WINE. Perhaps the Windows driver doesn't ramp the GPU clock up when LFS is running? In any case I'd check that all drivers are up to date.

Problem with 2 GPU's
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG