The online racing simulator
Has anyone tried god mode in windows 10 yet?
http://www.komando.com/happening-now/319964/how-to-use-godmode-on-windows-10/all

I still don't think any of the above sorts this issue out
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

And again, if you love sharing everthing, there is no (present) problem. Go for it and have fun.

For anyone who has info that needs to be actually private, run a version of Linux, with other precautions, and no problem.

As long as you understand with 10 how much of your info is shared without your knowledge or agreement, and you are happy with this lack of informed consent, then you can make a (semi) informed decision regarding your privacy and data security.....
(This is more a business issue than a personal issue, cus no one has private personal information on your computer that you are not happy with being freely available in the public domain, do you ????....)
Quote from Racer X NZ :http://www.komando.com/happening-now/319964/how-to-use-godmode-on-windows-10/all

I still don't think any of the above sorts this issue out
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

And again, if you love sharing everthing, there is no (present) problem. Go for it and have fun.

For anyone who has info that needs to be actually private, run a version of Linux, with other precautions, and no problem.

As long as you understand with 10 how much of your info is shared without your knowledge or agreement, and you are happy with this lack of informed consent, then you can make a (semi) informed descision regarding your privacy and data security.....
(This is more a business issue than a personal issue, cus no one has private personal information you are not happy being in the public domain, do you ????....)

Your link doesn't make sense. The 2014 photo hack was because of weak passwords, not because of data collection.
It was on the 'cloud', and so is M$ data stored from your PC.

What security/privacy is there regarding the info/data that MS collects ?

How is it stored ?

And many other questions, as in, who has access to this data ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
"Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption, according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian."

And, for business info, this is highly material....

Microsoft have a proven track record of giving this info to US spy agencies.....

Snowden has yet to be disproved# regarding any of the information he has provided. The real issue is that it scares most people so they chose to pretend it doesn't exist.....
# Ok, here's the official "Snowden is wrong" post........

And.....

"The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide"

"In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism"

"Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a "team sport""

In June, the Guardian revealed that the NSA claimed to have "direct access" through the Prism program to the systems of many major internet companies, including Microsoft, Skype, Apple, Google, Facebook and Yahoo.

Blanket orders from the secret surveillance court allow these communications to be collected without an individual warrant if the NSA operative has a 51% belief that the target is not a US citizen and is not on US soil at the time.* Targeting US citizens does require an individual warrant, but the NSA is able to collect Americans' communications without a warrant if the target is a foreign national located overseas.

* Well, !#^@ you, but thats actually most of us........

And then there is this, do try reading this please......

"That secret order, issued by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, relies on Section 215 of the Patriot Act, 50 USC 1861, better known as the "business records" portion. It allows the government to obtain any "tangible thing," including "books, records, papers, documents, and other items," a broad term that includes dumps from private-sector computer databases with limited judicial oversight."

BI Director Robert Mueller hinted during a 2011 congressional hearing that there was a secret legal memorandum prepared by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel that authorized a broader use of Section 215 than is publicly known.

"Wyden, who was present at that hearing, told Mueller that he was "increasingly troubled" that intelligence agencies are "relying on a secret interpretation" of the Patriot Act. "I believe that the American people would be absolutely stunned," Wyden said, if they knew what was actually going on."
http://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-has-backdoor-access-to-internet-companies-databases/

Do try to remember that NZ is one of the 5 Eyes, we do all this stuff and it is common knowledge here that there is a wide span of data captured. Even in our major papers this is reported as common fact.
Remember, Aus, UK, Canada, US and NZ all are a part of this spying. Please accept that I have some idea of what I'm talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XKeyscore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

Again, please show with proof that this is not happening, cus 10 is just, like Farcebook, making life really easy for these agencies.

Opposition Labour party leader Andrew Little asked Jagose what was meant by "full-take collection" as mentioned in the Snowden documents, according to coverage of the meeting by Wellington's Dominion Post newspaper.

It said Jagose declined to discuss agency work in detail, saying:"It is very difficult to say 'yes we do some things, we don't do some things."

She added that the GCSB operated under judicial warrant. "Everything we collect is authorized," she said.

The head of New Zealand's main domestic Security Intelligence Service (SIS), Rebecca Kitteridge told the committee there was "no indiscriminate collection of information."

Her agency had thought "carefully" about sharing information "beyond Five Eyes," Kitteridge added in remarks carried by Radio New Zealand.

The NZH article also said that a Five Eyes project code-named "Auroragold" had enabled the alliance to identify and scan mobile networks and phone links in Pacific nations such as Fiji, Samoa and the Cook Islands.

The Herald said the documents exposed the extent to which New Zealand security services were contributing to Five Eyes network.
http://www.dw.com/en/new-zealand-spy-agency-scans-asia-pacific/a-18307488
I wouldn't take Racer X NZ's post (above) lightly.

I'll be waiting till the "upgrade within a year offer" time period to decide whether I want it.

By the way, if you haven't downloaded win 10 installer yet, keep the windows update settings to "let me chose whether to download and install updates" option and leave it at that. The upgrade application (of Win 10) on the notification tab pops up asking you if you want to upgrade every restart, every re-login. Just cancel.

This is what's going to happen if you try to do a normal win 7/8.1 windows update - the update window will say downloading win 10 setup. Don't worry. Just click on the win 7/8.1 updates you want from the important and/or recommended options and update them. But, don't do this if your internet connection can fetch 3 GB of data within a few minutes. This trick works for slower connections. As said earlier, pick the updates, update, win 10 won't have the time to download fully. By that time, your updates will be downloaded and installed pending restart or confirmation of updates installed message.

Win 10 could eventually download all of its files when you do the steps mentioned above, say, 60 times on slower connections. To be sure, go to C:/windows/sofwaredistribution/download and empty that folder. Do it at your own risk.

Can someone clear these up:

Is it required to use a Microsoft account to login to Win 10?
What is Win 10's main selling point apart from being a really bad essay (Win 8) that was asked by the teacher to, "Do it Again!"?
Is Winn 10 of any use to people who don't use cloud services like onedrive, live tiles, Facebook, Twitter, and are not constantly on the grid, etc.?
Is Win 10 any good for people who do their searches with Google and have always uninstalled anything remotely named something like Internet Explorer or its new excuse, Edge?
Will Win 10 support stop after 2 years for home users and 4 years for Pro users?
Will it be subscription based, thereafter?
Any links to very objective, in-depth review of all Win 10's features?
Is Win 10 any good for CAD?
Will Win 10 allow me to change the location of pictures, documents, etc to where I want them to be (instead of being shortcuts or references)?
If not, can I chose where I put them?
I don't use these locations, anyway, because they're located on the system drive. I put nothing on the system drive.

Thanks.
Quote from hereticlohani :Can someone clear these up:

Is Win 10 any good for people who do their searches with Google and have always uninstalled anything remotely named something like Internet Explorer or its new excuse, Edge?

This hasn't changed in Windows 10. Cortana come disabled by default, nobody is forcing you to use any program you don't want to. I really don't know where this fears come from....

Quote from hereticlohani :Will Win 10 allow me to change the location of pictures, documents, etc to where I want them to be (instead of being shortcuts or references)?
If not, can I chose where I put them?
I don't use these locations, anyway, because they're located on the system drive. I put nothing on the system drive.

Libraries where introduced with Windows Vista, and since then you can choose where they are. Mine have always been in another HHD, just the same as when I used Windows XP.

And after the upgrade, you obviously don't lose any setting (except for default programs as Windows 10 link some extensions to its new apps).

As for your other questions, I am not 100% sure on them.
You can install Windows 10 with an offline profile, but it may pressure you to use the online account.
Windows 8 was the best Windows ever built, with just one major flaw in its design. Windows 10 runs circles around any other Windows 10 ever.
Thanks for your reply, Whiskey.

Nothing worked, everything was a mess for me. Back to Win 7 happily Smile
lol
Went back to W7 aswell, atleast for now. It still feels the most "home"-like and gets things done in the easiest and fastest way for me.
To be honest, wifi and a MIDI loopback driver don't work which is annoying, but I'm not planning on going back to Windows 7 anymore. :S I'd say that check for drivers before upgrading, and do it if they exist.

To Windows 10, or not to Windows 10, that is the question.
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG