The online racing simulator
LFS Graphic improvments #2015-future
they need to plan on Using DX12 instead of being on DX9 , Dx12 would work soo beautifully. and
they should give an option which DirectX Version you want to use like Dx8-12 :P
Switching to DX12 will not automatically make LFS look beautiful.
Quote from R@fiXII :Switching to DX12 will not automatically make LFS look beautiful.

And would not improve its performance due to being single threaded.

I wish people would think/learn before posting this kind of suggestions...
Again this DX12 bull... well. There are some areas as instancing, where DX12 usage would result in performance improvement. But it would be wise to boost up the graphics of the game and then run another round of performance/ DX improvements Smile
Quote from Bigbob1993 :Again this DX12 bull... well. There are some areas as instancing, where DX12 usage would result in performance improvement. But it would be wise to boost up the graphics of the game and then run another round of performance/ DX improvements Smile

Except You don't actually need DX12 for instancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_instancing

DX9 supported geometry instancing.
Wasn't it already used for fences around new Westhill? IIRC Scawen mentioned about some new method (due to DX9) to create such repetetive things.
It has been discussed a lot of times ... DX9Ex + is a no-go and useless for LFS (at this point).
DirectX is somewhat ordinary "new school", while old school people is still right about textures.

DX12 would do really nothing, textures does. But of course, everything has it's own benefits.

Look at the Westhill now, DX9 and oh my goodness, it looks good, altough, very obvious to know, and what will comes next...
-
(Bigbob1993) DELETED by Bigbob1993 : not in mood to discuss today
what about openGL, is worth to implement in lfs?
It would need a big recode of LFS (if you are meaning OpenGL for cross-platform compatibility) : input, graphics and sound engines should be ported to OpenGL and other cross-platforms libraries, and somes optimizations will not work anymore.

Better stick with DirectX for now, it's easier to upgrade from one version to another, but right now, it's REALLY not needed, just look how great Trackmania² is, and it a DirectX 9 game, so we have a big margin. Big grin
If this happens, then we can't on Linux Frown
Why not?
We can hope for official Linux support, but only after S3 and all other major update done and when the Linux user base will be big enough to worth it, and this is only up to ScaViEr to say. Wink
Linux userbase will never be "big enough" for LFS to be worth it. It's worth Scawen spending a few weeks to fix some bugs that crop up.

It's not worth rewriting.
It's kinda the opposite though. Currently LFS runs well under Linux/Mac with WINE, DX9 even runs natively with Intel iGPU. A DX12 upgrade would break it completely.

Switching to OpenGL/AL doesn't hurt, but doesn't provide much benefit for now neither.

In the current state, do people even care about graphics if they are still into LFS?
There's still a lot that DX9 could do.
Here are some DirectX 9 games, so you can see were we can go before been "limited" by the API:

Trackmania² Stadium:

GRID Autosport:

And much more.

So don't worry, going to D3D12 will only reduce user compatibility (with OS and hardware) and improve performance. But actually, we don't exploit GPU and CPU enough to claim to need more performance and less overhead (LFS is single threaded, don't forget about that). Wink
Well, just remember, people out there might still have single core CPUs without hyperthreading.

Big grin
No one even sell single core CPUs nowadays, the few people needs to upgrade at this time, even more if they uses their PC to play.
I don't find reasonable to try to game in 2015 with a single core CPU and a SM2.0 card. Buy the cheapest laptop or prebuilt desktop out there, and it will still be faster that that!
DX9 is best enough.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, just remember, people out there might still have single core CPUs without hyperthreading.
Big grin

And please remind me about the min specs for Occ Rift etc that we all believe is the future ??

Pcgamer on Vive specs....

— NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
— Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
— 8GB+ RAM
— Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
— 2x USB 3.0 ports
— Windows 7 SP1 or newer

"Why doesn't my Celeron 2.4 running intel graphics and XP with 1 Gig of ram work anymore ??????????"
Quote from Racer X NZ :
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, just remember, people out there might still have single core CPUs without hyperthreading.
Big grin

And please remind me about the min specs for Occ Rift etc that we all believe is the future ??

Pcgamer on Vive specs....

— NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
— Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
— 8GB+ RAM
— Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
— 2x USB 3.0 ports
— Windows 7 SP1 or newer

"Why doesn't my Celeron 2.4 running intel graphics and XP with 1 Gig of ram work anymore ??????????"

I guess it's a good thing then that VR headsets aren't mandatory.
Yeah, cus the min requirements would need a major update then.

"Minimal system :
1 Ghz CPU, 3D accelerated video card, 128Mb system memory, 400Mb free HD space."

Wot, no Himem.sys ?

"Recommended system :
2 Ghz CPU, Video card bought after 2006 with at least 128Mb of video memory, 512Mb system memory, 1Gb free HD space (for updates and accessories)

LFS will run on any Microsoft Windows system."

Now, where's my Win ME box with it's Voodoo 2 SLI card system ...???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNk3fjFeZw
It already did;

OS requirements
LFS works on both 32 and 64 bit Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10).

Minimum computer requirements
2 GHz CPU, 256 MB memory, DirectX 9 capable 3D graphics card.

Recommended computer requirements
3 GHz CPU, 1024 MB memory,
3D graphics card with at least 512MB memory.
LFS is mostly CPU dependent due to its physics calculations.
A full multiplayer grid requires a fast CPU more than a fast GPU.

The LFS S2 download functions as a demo until unlocked with a licensed account.
To unlock LFS S2, you need an S1 or S2 license (info / shop), and your computer must be connected to the internet!

Bittorrent download link
If you like, you can use BitTorrent to download Live for Speed.
There normally are enough peers to let you download very quickly.

- Download the Live for Speed torrent file

You need a major update. With a chair.
It is best to realize a dynamic sky (when the low and high winds), from graphics engine. And a dynamic track (the temperature of asphalt), from physics engine.

LFS Graphic improvments #2015-future
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG