DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
A lot of fun IMO, can't wait for the rallycross.
Quote from Whiskey :
It's been quite a while since I played RBR, but I got stressed just by whatching you flying trhought that stage haha

My first thought whilst watching it: ooh, nice frame rate.
My second thought: you goddman alien.
Looks like exactly the same DiRT game with somewhat narrower stages to me?!
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Quote from Whiskey :
It's been quite a while since I played RBR, but I got stressed just by whatching you flying trhought that stage haha

My first thought whilst watching it: ooh, nice frame rate.
My second thought: you goddman alien.

Damn right godamn Alien, damn u Eza!
That is some lunatic speed right there Wink

But its way past dirt 3 i think in terms of handling and overall feel.
People saying its better on pad, I tested it with an xbox 360 pad for 2 days before even touching the wheel and, I completely disagree.
Whilst the usual flicking of wheel is easier, I felt so disconnected to what the cars doing skipping thru bumps and turns that advantage is nullified.
He's Finnish, what do you expect? :P

And yeah, gamepad controls are horrible. So frustrating to go fast because you have no sense of control over the car IMO.
What we need is Finland's stages for some real speeds! Did I Say That?

Al wanted little hotlap challenge last night, so here's my entry and ended up being wr even with those few errors.

P.S. little slower car this time to not stress out viewers! Big grin
Tried the Mini in Monte Carlo and the Fulvia in Greece. Liked the Mini, no problims there. The Lancia seems to have a mind of its own :-\
Quote from (FIN)Eza :P.S. little slower car this time to not stress out viewers! Big grin

Appreciated Razz

I love the sound in this game. When you are sliding throught a corner in 2nd gear and the engine is battling to keep its revs. I suppose that means that the physics are working right. Though I don't get the same sensation on the movements, they feel a bit off to me. Can anyone share his experience?

I have watched some reviews, in one of them the guy said that if we are coming from RBR we could be biased to not like this game. I guess part of my excepticism comes from this fact Shrug
Quote from (FIN)Eza :
Al wanted little hotlap challenge last night

P.S. little slower car this time to not stress out viewers! Big grin

Slower car still a madman behind the wheel Wink gives me a target thanks for the upload dude ;

@Whiskey
Yeah the sound is lovely and the incar and exterior effects sound believable.
Sliding on the pad was as mentioned above a little disconnected to what is actually happening on screen.
Coming from an RBR perspective its a little more forgiving and this I do appreciate, gives confidence.
Now wheel setup and actual car setup are things im just beging to experiment with. I always try learn things in vanilla format i.e. Stock settings.
Like learning the XRT or any other car use one set till you can feel what its doing then play with values. The feedback is sluggish with high values, lower wheel strength gives it a lot more definition imo.
There is an official wheel "settings" thread over at codemasters forums
Does the co-driver sometimes just skip corners?
Quote from Keling :Does the co-driver sometimes just skip corners?

I don't think so. At least I never noticed.

I did however change the offset so that he reads the commands earlier. It's a bit awkward at first but I think it beats "200 - 6 left long" *flat out* "intoimmediateacuteright" *CRASH* Smile

I've had some issues with the pace notes too. I've set them to "Later" in the options which is about right-timing wise for me for most corners. Except once I was doing about 80mph and he told me there was a "Turn 2 left" about 10 meters before the corner. Helpful. I've also had some very dodgy corner calls, e.g. a 5 left that was more like a 2 left...

Is there any way of changing the lock on a game by game basis in the Logitech Profiler? I changed the global to 270 which made it actually drivable, but then I have to keep changing it back as every other game on the planet manages to successfully change the actual lock depending on the car... Most cars seem pretty physics wise that I've tried apart from the Fulvia which felt like a crap rF1 mod.
Quote from J@tko :Is there any way of changing the lock on a game by game basis in the Logitech Profiler?

Yep. In profiler, click Edit (second tab), and then click the last item in the list.
On one of thew welsh stages he consistently cuts out for the last few corners for me. The notes still come up on screen and he does cue back in for the finish though.
Anyone knows/tried if it works with Nvidia 3D Vision?
If a real rally driver can get the feeling ot the game at his first try I think it's enough to be confident in the realism of the game hehe

Quote from felplacerad :

I did however change the offset so that he reads the commands earlier. It's a bit awkward at first but I think it beats "200 - 6 left long" *flat out* "intoimmediateacuteright" *CRASH* Smile

There used to be a stage in Network Q RAC Rally (PC game from about 15 years ago), where you'd drive about 3 miles down an almost entirely straight road at absolute top speed; after which he'd suddenly announce '30, square right' and you'd go straight on over a T-junction at 140mph.
Braking markers ! Just like the track, you need to learn them Smile

Quote from Nick7 :Anyone knows/tried if it works with Nvidia 3D Vision?

No, but this is from the Oculus forums.
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=22689

"This was surprisingly easy to hook up, all i had to do was put my rift in "Direct mode" then i started up the game and once I was in the car it all seemed to work just fine, the Logitech G25 was straight forward to hook up as well.
i just mapped the buttons i wanted to change in game. Same with the stick. Easy peasy.

At first i was like naaaaa not sure if i should buy this, but it turns out to be a very very cool rally game !
it runs freaking smooth, and even in the rift it was smooth sailing, the head tracking was spot on Big grin

And its just a great game even tho its early access, i feel its worth it.

-vr (Dirt Rally - Properties - set launch option)
0.5.0.1 (Oculus Runtime needed)
(Rift set to Direct mode)

Vr kicks in right before you jump in the car.
Also there is a read me file in the Game folder."
(Some spelling corrections)
Very quick review after 4 hrs;

Graphics; Looks good, even with an older card it looks sweet, definatly looks better than RBR. (11 Years newer tho !)
I suspect that like LFS it's more processor based than graphics card. Everything turned up with an old 560 runs fine but that's with an O/C Xeon processor, still, no stuttering or anything. Looks great.

Driving feel; Standard, no, just no. That's with a G27 on stock settings. Basicly feels like every earlier Dirt game, so........
Quote from BigPeBe : "I went on the internet and I found this"

..... much better. I suspect the game really needs careful setup to give it's best. However, bog standard, not even faintly near RBR.
Play lots here to get it right for each person, I'll get back on this.

Menu Setup: ARGH !!!, learn your key/button numbers as that's all it's saying ATM, Use button 17 to save !

First impressions; shows a lot of promise, not as good as RBR yet, but if they keep working on it and sort stuff out, we'll see. Graphics, yes, a win here. Physics, not yet, Occ Rift, well, it's a winner here, as expected.

I've played Codemasters games forever, the early ones were great so I'm really hopeful they'll get this sorted and give us the next great rally game. RBR is 11 years old and it's still the bleeding edge of rally gaming.....

Let's see what the next update brings Smile
#45 - robt
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Quote from felplacerad :

There used to be a stage in Network Q RAC Rally (PC game from about 15 years ago), where you'd drive about 3 miles down an almost entirely straight road at absolute top speed; after which he'd suddenly announce '30, square right' and you'd go straight on over a T-junction at 140mph.

Got that network Q game sitting in the drawer of the computer desk! Used to spend hours racing on it. Shame its so awkward to get it working without Dos.
some corner notes are a bit off, at first he wasnt giving out the notes fast enoough till i changed delivery to "early" and that helped a lot. The road/scenery graphics are quite nice to look at while driving Smile
New update is out. Pikes Peak and 3 new cars are now in the game.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Since they released the FFB patch I had to give this a try.

Now there is finally self aligning torque. This is good, but on another hand it highlighted how broken the physics actually are. I just lost any hope of this ever becoming a sim. It's fun if you like pretty graphs and awesome sounds with physics that only remotely remind of a thing with four wheels, but if you guys are expecting a sim that actually feels natural to drive don't spend your money.

For a simracer it's actually really hard to drive because the way the cars act and react is completely unnatural.

Biggest problem definitely is with the RWD cars, AWD cars are a little better but I cant enjoy driving them either.
That's a shame. The 'HUGE' issue with RSRBR (RBR) has always been RWD cars. I was really hoping that Codemaster may have finally fixed this issue Frown

Bit of a shame, Scrawen has had this RWD issue sorted for years but as LFS never do updates, allow tracks, etc etc....
They could have the whole car sim thing sorted if they actually cared but however ......

As I'm probably facing a ban for saying this so, maybe we should just steal stuff and release our own sim, with blackjack and hookers.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGi6Q1pNbS0

I'm gonna take a little back from my inital harsh review. I have found ONE car that feels natural to drive and that is the WRC Fiesta. Albeit with modded lowered grip and with funky setup (brake balance fully to rear). Still suffers from horrid understeer on the slow corners but I can at least "feel" the car under me and drive naturally.

Here's a video I recorded:

DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG