The online racing simulator
No Rules Race? Is this possible?
I'm asking those of you with more programming knowledge than me to help with an idea that I have for an awesome race Smile

I would like to run LFS with tweak enabled on an online server and run what will essentially be a no rules 500 mile oval race. Drivers can chose their car from those that LFS offers and they can change the setting on it such as 1,000,000 HP or 1kg of weight with tweak. (Similar to what RR did with Live For Slicks a while back in the TBO)

Short of this being possible, I'd like to have a tweak that changed the FZR to a much more powerful model that would require braking for at least turn #3 if not turn #1 as well at KY1.

Is this possible, and is anybody able to put the things together to make it happen?

Thanks Big grin
Not 100% sure about what i wrote below, but still going to post it since there is no one else to answer:

Quote from Cornys :
I would like to run LFS with tweak enabled on an online server and run what will essentially be a no rules 500 mile oval race. Drivers can chose their car from those that LFS offers and they can change the setting on it such as 1,000,000 HP or 1kg of weight with tweak. (Similar to what RR did with Live For Slicks a while back in the TBO)

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's possible(I think all you have to do is to turn on the "modified" sertting on your server), but not without gigonormous amount of lag(people running with different tweak settings causes cars to jerk all other the place between the moments the server receives the correct car position info every few seconds), which combined with the huge speed would inevitably cause enormous carnage.

Also, LFS used to auto-reset cars once they reached an arbitrary speed near 700kph, I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

That said it's an interesting idea and i'm not sure if it has ever been tried, but it would be better suited for a time trial event I think.

Quote from Cornys :Short of this being possible, I'd like to have a tweak that changed the FZR to a much more powerful model that would require braking for at least turn #3 if not turn #1 as well at KY1.

I think you can probably figure it out yourselfSmile LFSTweak is quite instinctive, I'd suggest some trial-and-error type test runs to find out the best formula. Play with the power, weight, tyre width, etc.

For online playing, AFAIK(once again, not 100% sure) all you have to do is run the server with the right tweak on, and it will automatically kick out people who either don't have a tweak on, or have the wrong one.

On a side note I think Bob Smith's NASCAR Experiment provided some of the best oval racing I've seen on LFS(870hp XRT with slicks), but since it's stuck on 0.5X you might have trouble getting people to play it.
Thanks, GreyBull.

I might play with Tweak, but I'm not the best at it Taped Shut. I'd probably need help to implement it into the server and export the setting for download. I'm a noob at those kinds of things.

Sad to learn that different tweak setting cause lag :/
Quote from Cornys :I might play with Tweak, but I'm not the best at it Taped Shut.

I haven't used tweak in like 5 years, so I can't help you, sorrySmile

If you're interested, you can find the NASCAR Experiment specs here. It was really great for KY1 as far as I can recall, big lifts at T1 and T3, plenty of power in between. That said the FZR has a lot of downforce, lower center of gravity, and a very different weight distribution, so it will handle differently, and it'll need a lot more power(maybe around 1000-1500hp?) for braking at T1 and 3.
#6 - Sobis
LFS still resets your car when you reach ~720 kph.

Such race should be fun as long as you control the tweaks. I mean if you don't give people restrictions, it won't really be fun. Everyone will be flying and jumping around because of power and other differences.
As Rony said, I tried this a while ago, but people were not really interested in that, sadly.. :/ But it is possible, at least to make it without rules. With rules, i am afraid of people setting a little bigger engine power or something, as lfs is not really cheatfree Frown
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :On a side note I think Bob Smith's NASCAR Experiment provided some of the best oval racing I've seen on LFS(870hp XRT with slicks), but since it's stuck on 0.5X you might have trouble getting people to play it.

Last I heard was that the devs were no longer keen on these tweaker apps and as such it's not getting updated publically (nor have I updated it in private, for that matter).

Glad to know people put it to use though.
You have to have some specific tweak, otherwise you will end up having everyone lagging too much.

Afaik, there is no way to check and limit actual tweek parameters server guests use. Technically that would require changing the values that LFS cheat protection works with. The way tweak works now is that it just disables cheat protection what so ever.

There was a "Tweak controller" initiative to achieve tweaks synchronisation between server guests, but afaik it wasn't released.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG