The online racing simulator
DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
DiRT Rally
DiRT Rally

17 CARS OVER 6 NEW AND CLASSIC CLASSES TO DRIVE NOW: Rally is about having the right car and DiRT Rally will have all of the right cars. At the start of Early Access, DiRT Rally delivers 14 cars and will be adding more cars over more classes in the future.

NEW DRIVING MODEL: The physical simulation for DIRT Rally has been completely rebuilt to adequately capture how it feels to race across changing surfaces, and loose surfaces collect under the wheels during lateral sliding, creating a completely new feel to sliding around corners.

RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS, RALLY ASYNC & CUSTOM RALLY EVENTS: Take on a single stage and learn the calls in Custom Rally events, compete against increasingly skilled opposition in Rally Seasons or prove yourself against the entire community of players in Rally Async

TEAM MANAGEMENT: Hire up to four engineering staff to work on your vehicle between stages. Drill down and hire them based on their contract length, wage demands, and on the insight they can offer over upgrades to the vehicles you own. Keep renewing an engineer’s contract and you’ll be able to give them perks that will help upgrade specific vehicles faster.

UPGRADES: As you drive a vehicle in events your engineers will become more familiar with it and will research upgrades that will unlock the full potential of the car. DiRT Rally’s comprehensive upgrade system makes meaningful improvements to the car’s handling and performance to stay competitive in the Rally Async challenges.

TUNING: Delivering the most comprehensive tuning system ever in a DiRT game, DiRT Rally enables players to tune their cars based on weather conditions, car condition and more to ensure they can refine their setup and get the car feeling right for their driving style.

DAMAGE & REPAIRS: Off-road racing is tough and unforgiving; competing causes vehicles to suffer wear and tear as replicated by DiRT Rally’s comprehensive mechanical damage system. Thankfully, damage can be repaired by hiring Engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages. Much as in the Colin McRae Rally games, there’s a finite amount of time to repair cars between rally stages.

PHYSICS-BASED ASSISTS: Being fast is about skill, not raw speed. Whilst DiRT Rally allows players to experience cars in their purest form it also offers a selection of real world assists similar to those seen in race and road vehicles. Traction Control works to minimise wheel spin, ABS increases your braking ability by preventing the wheels from locking up and Stability Control keeps your car from over rotating in the corners.

I've just downloaded the Early Access on Steam, it's barely Early Access, it's basically a working game with achievements just lacking some of the content. So far I'm enjoying it, it's the sort of game I think people on this forum have been waiting for, the simulation is not RBR level, but it's better than the previous DiRT games.
never even heard of ttle before, so just read an article on Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-27-dirt-rally-could-well-be-codemasters-first-real-sim

altitude dependable engine performance, depth of gravel affecting grip, no PVP mode but asynchronous multiplayer .. sounds interesting

Quote :"So we got a new physics programmer in onto Dirt, and he brought fresh eyes to the problem. Starting with a new tire model and a new surface model, he's basically rebuilt our physics from the ground up. That's only been possible by having a handling team that wanted more out of the engine, and always asked questions. That pairing has really enabled us to break down the walls of assumption and bring in new features."

I recorded a couple of videos, my driving is crap because unlike the other DiRT games you actually need to practice the stages a bit on this one, it's less forgiving. The game is visually fantastic, these videos are all on max settings, just got a bit washed out by youtube.

EDIT: the first paragraph about the game on steam...

"First I want to say thank you, all you guys and girls have been awesome these last few years. You’ve been telling us what you want for what seems like forever, over on the forum there is a next DiRT game wishlist that actually predates the release of DiRT 3. There have been comment threads on gaming websites telling us were we went wrong and hundreds of posts each day on Twitter and Facebook telling us exactly what you want. That’s how awesome you guys are, you’ve been our inspiration and got us through some tough times. So thank you."
Been watching this for a while now on Twitch. Not a super hardcore sim, but looks to handle well enough to suspend disbelief. Haven't a wheel, and I doubt it would be amazing with keyboard (+ mouse?). Pad purchase might be incoming.
#5 - AJS
price is okay. just dont expect the hardcore physics because they are not... you can pretty much drive pedal to the metal without ever spinning out (except on ice). on tarmac with E30 M3 that doesnt feel too realistic.

rear will come around only if you brake into corners.

night stages are fun as is to blast thru gravel and mud. sounds and graphics are top.

P.S.

After getting used to it actually gravel and sand doesnt feel too bad and tarmac still needs to be fixed physics wise. Then again getting back to Assetto Corsa the cars obviously feel mega sensitve Big grin
Gotta admit from the footage I have found on youtube, this looks and sounds fantastic.
Of course I can't judge physics fully from videos, but at least on the replays it looks believable enough. I might just have to give this thing a chance.

-EDIT- A little question before I rush in to buying this, can you disable the virtual steering wheel? I had a little google on the cockpit view stuff and apparently you can adjust FOV, but I found no info about camera position and virtual wheel/hands?

-EDIT2- Also can you remove g-force simulation and vibrations from the cockpit view?
If they kept the physics from the previous 2 Dirt titles, it's a very nice handling semi-sim which is fun to play with a gamepad.

What I really liked about the previous 2 titles, handling wise, is that you don't get annoyed by the handling, which is the case with most of the other arcade or semi-sim games out there.

I hope you understand what I mean Smile
I found some nice footage:
https://youtu.be/no3cwtthlUs

At least on this video (proper locked incar view driven by a capable driver) the car's handling looks very realistic, better than previous Dirt titles. On another note youtube is full of footage where the physics look iffy to say the least, but it could be the controller/driver skill that causes this too. Even RBR looks like an arcade game when it's driven by a not so skilled driver.

I'm trying to not to get my hopes up, but it's getting quite hard. It's on sale now, but I will probably have to wait untill they patch the FFB, common opinion seems to be it's pretty non-existent right now.
The footage from that video looks awesome! I might have to pick it up to give it a try.
Awesome graphics, but every Dirt version I've driven has felt loose and floaty. If the physics are as good as RSRBR 2015 then it's worth a play.

Any feedback on this before I waste $ ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqNHSRBTqc
Yes, the graphics with RSRBR are crap by todays levels, but nothing yet has driven as well !
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Alright, enough talk -- I took the plunge! It's not THAT expensive plus I didn't get GTA V yet so I'm allowed to indulge myself. Smile

I have no idea how the (async) multiplayer works but if anyone cares and would like to arrange something here's my steam profile.
Ok I'm gonna confess I kinda hurried in to the decision and bought this, because I saw a thread about unofficial FFB fix on RaceDeparment:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-fixed.104679/

But no, it doesn't fix the ffb. I have driven this for a while now and I can see some potential, but with the current FFB it's impossible to judge the physics really because I can't feel what the car is doing, at all. Biggest problem is that the car doesn't counter steer (caster effect) thru the FFB at all, so I don't know when it's understeering or oversteering.

Codemasters seem to have acknowledged this problem, they mentioned they are working with this in the latest patch notes, so there is some hope.
There are other problems from a simracers POV too, not enough customizations to camera views and controller settings (I can't configure a H-shifter if it isn't the default G27 shifter).

Sounds are fantastic tho, I'm pretty sure that this is the first time I have actually heard a game to be able to deliver a believable representation of the induction note of a N/A 4-cyl engine.
And not just that, every engine I have yet heard sounds spot on. Even a realistical sounding anti-lag is there.
#14 - AJS
its okay i see hope here and it has potential. let the modding come...

i dont feel like f@ck i wasted my money like with Project CARS Big grin

having said that ... lets install it again and see.

hope dies last :DDD
Yeah I noticed but it doesn't work. Well, it kinda works because it alters the FFB, but it's still not right. There simply isn't any caster effect, or self-aligning torque (how you wanna call it). Currently the FFB is just a centering spring and some rumbles and shakes.
Any input lag? Every Codemasters game I've ever played since Colin McRae 2 has had hellish input lag rendering it unplayable.
I haven't noticed anything and I'm typically quite sensitive to input lag. Altho the current FFB makes you kinda disconnected from the car so it's hard to say for sure.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Any input lag? Every Codemasters game I've ever played since Colin McRae 2 has had hellish input lag rendering it unplayable.

One thing I noticed on these games, was that it hadn't input lag, it had driver animation lag...

For example, if I drive on the hood camera, I have no problem at all, but on the cockpit camera, seeing the animation of the driver with massive lag, my brain goes dãããr and I can't drive properly...

Dirt 1 with 900 degrees on hood camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSt5Lgzo2aQ

Dirt 3 with 900 degrees on hood camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQjKkNvknw
Gamepad, no assists...much fidelity...such physics...wow Big grin

I don't think there's much hope for this to turn out good...
Brakes look......rather effective?
Quote from sinbad :Brakes look......rather effective?

Yea...I actually think I was on the brakes for less than 5 seconds in the entire stage...
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
I bought the Fulvia and it's exactly like that. The car will pull left of right seemingly randomly at high speed, which is almost impossible to correct with keyboard inputs (I don't mind not supporting my wheel, but no mouse controls? really?). I find myself in a semi-controlled tank slapper down every straight, pounding left and right keys just to make it to the end.

Funny that this is a PC only game, because gamepads seem to be the preferred controller at the moment.
Might aswell put this here too.. Recorded one random run for friend. Not best run by any means, but Group B is fun! Cool

Quote from (FIN)Eza :Might aswell put this here too.. Recorded one random run for friend. Not best run by any means, but Group B is fun! Cool

Is it just me, or does the trees come towards the car faster than in any other game? xD

It's been quite a while since I played RBR, but I got stressed just by whatching you flying trhought that stage haha

DiRT Rally
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG