The online racing simulator
What to get for a first car?
(36 posts, started )
Quote from eddy678 :Lots of 1.4 litre cars

Swallow your pride and drop the engine size down to 1.2 or even 1.0. As I said, after a year or two once your insurance has halved, you can start looking for something faster.
Quote from eddy678 :Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti 2002-2005 Insurance Quote with a black box: £2658 (I would get this car but I prefer the 2005 models, since they have a new shape, but they are harder to find, plus they're slightly more expensive to buy)

Vw Golf 1.4 2002 Insurance Quote with a black box: £2869 I would get but the mileage is always high on golfs, plus I wouldn't like to keep the car for more than 3 years

Vw Polo 1.4 2001 (60bhp puts me off..) Insurance quote: Similar to the Golf, £2800. I would go for the Polo but 60 bhp puts me off, and I prefer the 2001 or 2007 Model with the facelift, but the 2007 models are harder to find.

Also, if I were to get the 2007 model, I would go for the 1.4 80bhp one, but again, they are hard to find, and go slightly above my budget.

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, Honda Civic 1.5 and a Citroen Saxo 1.1 upwards were all above £2800 to insure.

I haven't tried to insure the BMW since parts will be expensive if something goes wrong, and insurance will want something stupid like £5000.

So I guess it's a choice between a:

VW Polo 60bhp older model/80bhp newer but more expensive model

VW Golf 1.4 2002

Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti 90bhp

OR just pay slightly more on insurance for a Corsa/Fiat Punto/Seat Ibiza 1.4 2002.

If anyone has anymore cars to suggest or what car I should go for on the ones that I have mentioned above, then please say.

See, I wouldn't be so picky about my first car, since most people only keep them and wait for their no claims bonus to kick in, and then buy a new car. However, I want to keep my first car for a lengthy amount of time, like I did with my first push bike.

Those quotes are scary. I know new cars are typically cheaper to insure, because safety etc..., what sort of premium would you be paying for a 100bhp 1.0ecoboost Fiesta?
#28 - Jakg
You wont want to keep your first car for 3 years.
#29 - CSF
I'm on 3 years with my inherited 2010 Yaris... getting rid. Was looking at an Abarth 595, but after a night of being told how girly it was, abandoned that idea.

Dunno what else to look at... looked at a Scirocco, but I am worried it would take 6 years to get to me.
Quote from Jakg :You wont want to keep your first car for 3 years.

My Focus is still going strong nearly 6 years after I bought it Smile I love it, I have a feeling I will actually be in floods of real tears they day I have to scrap it.
I drove my first car for 3.5 years and sold it fully functional,never had trouble in technical inspections,it was a '88 Mazda 626. Unless you're a retard or just bought a junk,every car can serve a long time. Also japanese cars like Honda,Toyota etc are known as very reliable,might be also worth to consider.
#32 - robt
How old are you Eddy? Might make a difference!
OH and avoid the black boxes, they lower the premium, but from what I read up on what they give you discount for driving style wise, all it does it make you a danger to others!
Awarded from accelerating very slowly........not handy onto a motorway or A road. And they also dont seem to take into account speed, so as long as you accelerate slowly to 80mph in a 30 zone theyll reward you Rofl
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Quote from Jakg :You wont want to keep your first car for 3 years.

My Focus is still going strong nearly 6 years after I bought it Smile I love it, I have a feeling I will actually be in floods of real tears they day I have to scrap it.

Just got rid of my baby. It wasn't my first car, but it was the best I've ever had, or ever will. So I know how you'd feel.
Whoa, those insurance prices are insane... I pay around 550 USD/year for my 2012 Seat Ibiza... I know it's new but it's not even close to those numbers! Holy crap!

I would recommend to go for the coolest 1.2 or 1.4 liter car, you don't need to pay gazillions pounds for gas, it'll take you places and as some say, you'll find better insurance fees later Wink

Anyone want a Seat Ibiza by the way? I'm selling it. Hehe.
#35 - mr_x
Quote from sinbad :
Those quotes are scary. I know new cars are typically cheaper to insure, because safety etc..., what sort of premium would you be paying for a 100bhp 1.0ecoboost Fiesta?

Would be interesting to see what that would be. I bought one of those Fiestas last June (astonishing engine, same power, more torque, more MPG than 1.6l), my girlfriend passed her driving test last May, when my insurance renewal came around in September I added her to the policy and it was a total of £304. I was expecting double that. Now what helps is when I took the policy out I was 26 with 6 years NCB, she's 25. But it would be interesting to know what insurance on the 1.0l Fiesta would be like with someone younger. I don't think insurance companies look at engine power, just engine size.
Japan cars is the best quality cars
bat a not nisan
If u wona small car use suzuki swif,.honda civic.toyota ...

What to get for a first car?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG