The online racing simulator
Your scoring system idea is uhm... Stupid. LFS' multiplayer is great in it's simplicity, and with airio system it has everything that's needed. Experience, ratings, championships etc. Mix of good and not so good players in my opinion is also good as when you race with faster guy you have motivation to drive faster too Wink On the other hand, sometimes servers are full of dumb kids which can't take a single corner... But hey, that's why airio has !lock feature! Pity it's not used often, though.
Quote from Marino109 :
  • New graphical interface - Big lovely welcome screen with music and animation playing in background and log-in window.
  • LFS store - Instead of having two basic licences to buy, start off with one car only and add option to buy new cars, tracks, setups, skins with either real money or racing points.
  • New scoring system - like chess.com has. Everyone starts off with basic score, let's say 1000. Depending on whether you win or loose, your score goes up and down. You're always teemed up with players that share similar overall score (+-200). That would also prevent mixing tops with less experienced players. Also, in your overall score goes not only wins but how well you drive. How much you deviate from racing live, how often you crash, how consistent you are in racing, how safe you drive, etc.
  • New multiplayer system - similar to lol, but with cars and tracks instead of champions.
That would I think bring LFS on a higher level.
  • New graphical interface - Good idea imo
  • LFS store - No. That isn't LFS style, and microtransactions ruin everything. Definetely no to this.
  • New scoring system - This was there, but was dropped because... i'm not sure why it was but probably because Scawen didn't like it that much or someone didn't
  • New multiplayer system - Not needed.
Quote from Marino109 :
  • New graphical interface - Big lovely welcome screen with music and animation playing in background and log-in window.

there is a music option
Steam, what a hunk of advert and attention grabbing poo, hot off the press. If LFS goes steam based you can park it and walk away. It will NOT be a good move, just to pander to a company known for being soft on security and high on unwanted adverts. LFS is about race driving rather than that kind of money grabbing philistines at the STEAMing great pile of dog motion.
S2 is pretty dead if you ask me. Just check out the cruise servers, full of +20 peeps online with their cars parked for like a week(Except TC, wich I'm lifetime banned from there).

The few drift servers only have 6 cars drifting around, and every 30 minutes it goes empty.

Without mentioning the 'race' servers that stuffs a XFG/XRG/UFR up your *ss until you sucess 40 races or so.

You may like it or not, but it's just my point of view wich I accumulated since years and years of activity on this great sim. LFS doesnt has the same popularity as 2007-2009 era.

PS. I learned to drive IRL thanks to LFS and rFactor, they have all my respect!
Quote from Rodrigo-Kaiser :PS. I learned to drive IRL thanks to LFS and rFactor, they have all my respect!

And believe it or not I still go over a few things with it before I attend trackdays for any last minute changes to see what sort of effects will cause.

Unfortunately, the whole mcstrut setup in LFS is far from accurate, particularly the whole angle of the control arms having an effect of camber gain on a mcstrut (hint hint, there is no camber gain, but in LFS there is)
Quote from Marino109 :
Quote from tom0900060 :LFS has been lacking of real progress and new features for years now, I don't see why the potential buyers would choose LFS over new sims like Assetto Corsa or Upcoming project cars etc.

I was thinking what would be a great new thing in LFS that would attract new people. Why wouldn't LFS become something like lol in terms of:
  • LFS store - Instead of having two basic licences to buy, start off with one car only and add option to buy new cars, tracks, setups, skins with either real money or racing points.
  • New scoring system - like chess.com has. Everyone starts off with basic score, let's say 1000. Depending on whether you win or loose, your score goes up and down. You're always teemed up with players that share similar overall score (+-200). That would also prevent mixing tops with less experienced players. Also, in your overall score goes not only wins but how well you drive. How much you deviate from racing live, how often you crash, how consistent you are in racing, how safe you drive, etc.
  • New multiplayer system - similar to lol, but with cars and tracks instead of champions.
That would I think bring LFS on a higher level.

Do you like work for Riot and are the leader of their "How to make a shitty pay2win game" team?
The only thing LFS needs is more content, new UI, new graphical engine, and the possiblity to add tracks and cars (like Assetto Corsa).

Nobody like the shitty pay-to-win/micro-transactions bullshit that big company created to have even more money in their pockets.
Quote from col :
Quote from R3DMAN :you know what the biggest barrier i faced when trying to get people to play LFS... no real cars/tracks, not graphics, sounds etc etc it was purely cars and tracks..

So they really want to _pretend_ they are driving some real world car on some real world track. Which means that maybe LFS is not the game for them.

LFS is a racing simulation, not a role playing game. It's about real sim racing, not pretend real world racing.
There is a huge market for racing/driving RPGs, and competition is fierce, if LFS tried to go that way, it would be dead in the water. The demand for racing simulations is much smaller, so big publishers stay out and there is market space for projects like LFS to exist and survive.

To the first quote there is real cars in lfs 4 of them. AS far as real tracks why would that hurt lfs. "real sim racing" what does that even mean as people that play these sims want realism and having real cars and tracks adds to a sim, not take away. I understand how a 3 man team doesnt have the resources to do say what iracing does but when i get into a car and the rubber hits the road if it feels right i could care less what the car is named. That is why we play LFS.
Quote from ANAMENOONEHAD :AS far as real tracks why would that hurt lfs.

Some people will have experience of the real tracks to compare to, so Scawen wants to release the new tyres first, IIRC. We have a laser-scanned Rockingham ready to go, so there wouldn't seem to be any other 'hurt' to consider. Perfectionism is a blessing and a curse Smile
i wish someday scavier release track editor, like scs software release giant editor for community.
Quote from col :
Quote from R3DMAN :you know what the biggest barrier i faced when trying to get people to play LFS... no real cars/tracks, not graphics, sounds etc etc it was purely cars and tracks..

So they really want to _pretend_ they are driving some real world car on some real world track. Which means that maybe LFS is not the game for them.

LFS is a racing simulation, not a role playing game. It's about real sim racing, not pretend real world racing.
There is a huge market for racing/driving RPGs, and competition is fierce, if LFS tried to go that way, it would be dead in the water. The demand for racing simulations is much smaller, so big publishers stay out and there is market space for projects like LFS to exist and survive.

This is why LFS makes me happy. I don't want to watch a car "driving", I want to experience something similar to what I might in driving a real car in the sense of the connection; the interactive subtleties of 4 tires on tarmac that make learning and knowing how to drive satisfying are what keeps us with LFS.
Quote from Marino109 :
[list]
[*]LFS store - Instead of having two basic licences to buy, start off with one car only and add option to buy new cars, tracks, setups, skins with either real money or racing points.
[*]New scoring system - like chess.com has. Everyone starts off with basic score, let's say 1000. Depending on whether you win or loose, your score goes up and down. You're always teemed up with players that share similar overall score (+-200). That would also prevent mixing tops with less experienced players. Also, in your overall score goes not only wins but how well you drive. How much you deviate from racing live, how often you crash, how consistent you are in racing, how safe you drive, etc.

So basically you want them to copy iRacing's scoring system and content purchase system..
Quote from Rodrigo-Kaiser :S2 is pretty dead if you ask me. Just check out the cruise servers, full of +20 peeps online with their cars parked for like a week(Except TC, wich I'm lifetime banned from there).

The few drift servers only have 6 cars drifting around, and every 30 minutes it goes empty.

Without mentioning the 'race' servers that stuffs a XFG/XRG/UFR up your *ss until you sucess 40 races or so.

You may like it or not, but it's just my point of view wich I accumulated since years and years of activity on this great sim. LFS doesnt has the same popularity as 2007-2009 era.

PS. I learned to drive IRL thanks to LFS and rFactor, they have all my respect!

a lot of truth in your comment. i see activity in forums with people showing skins and good image rendering, but in game ..... in my opinion is much blab bla bla and people dont play more than 15 or 30 mins. i love LFS anyway.
Not sure why this topic gets bumped frequently... It's from the start of this year. Enough progress is made and still going on. Just sit back and look stupid.
Quote from cargame.nl :And then what? We get another 5 trillion topics abouts whats missing, should be different, stuff about cars and blabla? Would expect we are past that stage after six years now.

Like Steam is going to speed up development.

Unbelievable how repetitive people can be. I think the same topics appear here in 2020.

steam would means more people buying, more cash for more adding some coders rather than one person puttings in a few hours every so often when the mood strikes, so you know, maybe we could get a finished game by 2020, which i highly doubt it.
at current development speed, we will have a man on mars before S3 is released.
Quote from obzelite :... more cash for more adding some coders rather than one person puttings in a few hours every so often when the mood strikes ...

If you really believe what you just said there, you have no idea how commited Scawen is.
His commitment goes way beyond "putting in a few hours every so often".
I can't believe all the moaning that keeps going on, on the forum.
We just got a great update bringing us a totaly new Westhill track with endless posibilities to create tracks and on top of that a huge performance improvement this weekend.
All distributed free of charge, while all people have paid for, was that game as it was at the time they bought it.
So even if Scawen would decide that enough is enough, nobody has any right to complain about that what so ever.
Quote from obzelite :
Quote from cargame.nl :And then what? We get another 5 trillion topics abouts whats missing, should be different, stuff about cars and blabla? Would expect we are past that stage after six years now.

Like Steam is going to speed up development.

Unbelievable how repetitive people can be. I think the same topics appear here in 2020.

steam would means more people buying, more cash for more adding some coders rather than one person puttings in a few hours every so often when the mood strikes, so you know, maybe we could get a finished game by 2020, which i highly doubt it.
at current development speed, we will have a man on mars before S3 is released.

More programmers != more work accomplished.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG