The online racing simulator
Quote from dawesdust_12 :not to make people "faster".

Okay lets do the opposite statement then.. What if it actually makes you slower? Which I think it does. There is of course a learning curve but are people going to spend hundreds of hours in this sealed off from the outside world helmet to achieve the same results you get without such a device? Driving in a car on a track which nobody can relate to? Yes, I am skeptical about that. Not strongly negatively biased or what else. Just that it deserves not that much resources.

But hopefully this official Rift release is not more then a year away, then it will finally tell if its all worth it.
Quote from Scawen :Without going into details, I don't think the access roads are only for cruisers.

This is the rally pack that Tor has wanted!

As for the Rift, I've never been a fast driver (nor really wanted to be), but the Rift is extremely interesting to me because I feel it will give me an experience that nothing else can. It could make me faster by giving me a more accurate "presence" in the world (rather than feeling disconnected by FOV).

It's something that's bothered me in all racing sims, is I either have a super wide FOV which gives no feeling of speed, or a super narrow FOV which makes me feel like I can't see anything horizontally. I've tried with 3 screens, but that loses the vertical FOV as well. I think that the Rift does solve both of those problems. I just have been waiting for CV1 to actually purchase one.
Quote :But I feel the new open configs system is important.

Could you elaborate? Is this allusion to the new path system? I assume you have your hands full with the graphical side of things but are the InSim updates still "scheduled" for next patch?
I have a question Scawaen. Do you use premade tools for making maps, if so, what tools do you use, or do you use your own program? Thanks in advance. Also, loving the track so far! I can't wait to try it out. It will probably feel nice to drive on something new.
Quote from misu2048 :I have a question Scawaen. Do you use premade tools for making maps, if so, what tools do you use, or do you use your own program? Thanks in advance. Also, loving the track so far! I can't wait to try it out. It will probably feel nice to drive on something new.

Scawen has indicated that he's written his tools from scratch. Lots of mentions of adding tools to make Erics life easier when building content.
Quote from Scawen :there are some quite interesting ways around Westhill. Without going into details, I don't think the access roads are only for cruisers.

This is actually the stuff I'm hyped up for the most. I just hope there are going to be hillclimb servers with access road layouts.
Quote from cargame.nl :
Okay lets do the opposite statement then.. What if it actually makes you slower? Which I think it does.

I´ver never been a good driver, but as someone who first played lfs with the Rift (DK1 last year and helping Scawen to implement it correctly / now DK2) I can hardly imagine that an already good driver will be slower!
Anyway I for myself primary play for fun. For example I have seldom played lfs in the past. Now with the Rift I almost play every day, even I used to play in front of a 2 meter projector screen before!
So the only negative aspect I can tell about the Rift is, that it will spoil your desire to play on a screen again Smile And I am not the only one, some already plan to throw their 3 monitor setups away...

Quote from cargame.nl :
Just that it deserves not that much resources.

The Rift will revolutionize the sim genre! I am sure. It just has to come out with slightly improved specifications. Higher res, a bit lighter.
But for me the Devkit it´s already good enough to play lfs.
Quote from Scawen :Again and again I say, we are working on this at the pace we like. We don't use the help of others because we like it this way. Just don't expect things out quickly. If you want more variety than is available in LFS, go and race in a different sim for a while. That is fine! Come and race when there is something new to try out.

So much true on this one. I keep on following your posts for updates and come back to LFS once i feel like i want to enjoy driving a proper simulator again.

Unfortunatelly sometimes instead of seeing a nice update post i see people crying for more and more stuff...

Just take your time and and enjoy what you doing instead of being forced and in a rush doing silly mistakes/bugs.

We all would like to see more content and something refreshed that can rise up this great sim again to the top.

Until then i'll take a break and try something new, then come back again and thank you for every single second you dedicated on that, cause there's nothing else that feels so close to real life.

Now im going back to my cave and maybe play something else while waiting for the next update.
Quote from Scawen :
I'm not planning many InSim updates, other than some long running requests that I have already confirmed. But I feel the new open configs system is important. I am going to see if I can add a system to enable a custom start grid as there are some quite interesting ways around Westhill. Without going into details, I don't think the access roads are only for cruisers.

Thanks for the response Smile Sounds like a lot of this is going to be very good!
Quote from cargame.nl :

Okay lets do the opposite statement then.. What if it actually makes you slower? Which I think it does. There is of course a learning curve but are people going to spend hundreds of hours in this sealed off from the outside world helmet to achieve the same results you get without such a device? Driving in a car on a track which nobody can relate to? Yes, I am skeptical about that. Not strongly negatively biased or what else. Just that it deserves not that much resources.

But hopefully this official Rift release is not more then a year away, then it will finally tell if its all worth it.

It is not a matter of whether it is worth it or not...or if it will make someone faster...(seems unlikely that you of all people would be saying this sort of thing).

Maybe you do not like the direction of development.
I could have ranted when I was playing/hosting/admining many hours everyday....along with many other people out there.

Sure, VR is of no interest to me...nor Rockingham..nor Scirocco...and I always thought the current physics were fine but the choice is not up to me or you.
Stop trying to be the leader of the people!

If I want purple hair then I will have purple hair...do you read me?
Quote from Anthoop :
Stop trying to be the leader of the people!

What people? Stop trying to make assumptions of my personality I get a little bit annoyed with that. I don't even know you! Last race information three years ago sigh. I have my own opinion and yes I happen to run a racing server which got a little bit popular during the last five years, big deal. I would have had -exactly- the same opinion if I was just driving around on some racing server. Even a stronger opinion actually.

Quote from Anthoop :If I want purple hair then I will have purple hair...do you read me?

I don't even know who you are, why would I care? Do you understand me?

Quote from Anthoop :(seems unlikely that you of all people would be saying this sort of thing).

And why is it unlikely? Any idea how many LFS races I watched?

Quote from Anthoop :
Sure, VR is of no interest to me...nor Rockingham..nor Scirocco...and I always thought the current physics were fine

So you basically have no opinion. Do you realize you made an empty post?
I wrote a little review here - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2jyeos/dk2_sim_racing_ready/

But basically, it makes it better and was definitely the right thing for Scawen to do for the little amount of time taken, plus the added bonus of motivation and inspiration to do graphic updates.

ATM it does make me personally slower due to the far distance resolution issue which won't be a problem for CV1.

It seems to me people are now complaining after years of Scawen working on physics updates which we have yet to see a single benefit from, that he is now releasing pretty frequent updates which the community asked for, and they are still complaining.

The tyre updates are what I am waiting for the most, and even for those that are not, when they are done then SCAVIER can go full content release mode.

A rock and a hard place comes to mind.....

@ Dave, no offence mate but some of your posts do come across as trolling. I know you well enough to understand that you are just trying to help, but it sometimes comes across the opposite.

Quote from just2fast :
The Rift will revolutionize the sim genre! I am sure. It just has to come out with slightly improved specifications. Higher res, a bit lighter.
But for me the Devkit it´s already good enough to play lfs.

The issue here is a hell of alot of sim racers are quick and play to win, especially in LFS. It is a sim afterall and not a arcade racer. For this reason, I imagine that until the far distance issue is fixed (hopefully CV1) then for the moment it can be argued to be not worth it of Scawen's time.

This would be a short-sited view IMO, and Scawen should be commended for having the foresite to implement it now.
-
(jasonmatthews) DELETED by jasonmatthews : double postage :P
Quote from cargame.nl :

Okay lets do the opposite statement then.. What if it actually makes you slower? Which I think it does. There is of course a learning curve but are people going to spend hundreds of hours in this sealed off from the outside world helmet to achieve the same results you get without such a device? Driving in a car on a track which nobody can relate to? Yes, I am sceptical about that. Not strongly negatively biased or what else. Just that it deserves not that much resources.

What if Scawen implements full head tracking and nimble hand tracking of the avatars, before any other sim? How freaking cool would that be?

I am pretty sure that hand tracking will be in CV1, so imagine going past someone who tried to take you out and he can see you looking at him whilst you flip the bird? Pretty awesome I would say Smile

Imagine when you lift your hand off the wheel to change gear, you see that shit.... Crossing the finish line in full hands raised mode :P Imagine making a mistake and showing a raised hand to say sorry, this is the future. I hope Scawen does this stuff absolutely!

That is a pretty simple thing for Scawen to implement and would provide a level of realism and presence that would blow my mind..

Link to hand tracking info - https://www.oculus.com/blog/nimble-vr-13th-lab-and-chris-bregler-join-oculus/
Link to oculus forum post - https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15110&p=229042#p229042

P.S.

If we get full body tracking for the rift, I will have to pull a full on mooney when overtaking someone for the win Big grin
Quote from jasonmatthews :
ATM it does make me personally slower due to the far distance resolution issue which won't be a problem for CV1.

The experiences seem to be different. Some postings under your blog claim they aren´t slower Smile

At least CV1 will hopefully please everybody.
Eh, no one in that thread says that?...
Alright, here's my (somewhat idiot proof) nutshell of the thread *advance with caution*

1) Possible Karting Configuration
2) Upside down bleachers for the Aussies
3) December Not November
4) Hopeful patch before the 25th
5) Lots of dedication
6) Enough with the Rockingham & VW talk noobs.
7) Write your own nutshell(s)
8) People type wayyyyyy to much stuff down sometimes.
9) Some people don't type enough >.>
10) This is only because I got to 10. Yay me!
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Quote from jasonmatthews :How freaking cool would that be?

Probably cool but again if it slows down racers they won't use it. The current situation is simply that racing on LFS is in a state of getting extinct. We can do funny and smart about it but despite the already top rated VR features and the higher reported license sales the downward spiral keeps going on. Now only the weekends provide some action packed racing, after the holidays it will deteriorate even more. Now, I've read looonnggg ago that this situation was almost a wish (and got repeated recently)... That people could go elsewhere, enjoy some racing at another sim and then; return. But the returning bit I don't really see that happen, why would people return? Because of VR? That much trust in this future technology? Taking a pretty high risk.
Quote from cargame.nl :... why would people return? Because of VR?

No because iRacing, Asseto Corsa etc. already have Rift support. iRacing even before lfs had it.
This alone was a reason to implement VR, just to stay competive against the other sims!
The good thing is that the VR implementation of lfs so far is considered as one of the best.
But also this can change very fast.
Quote from cargame.nl :
So you basically have no opinion. Do you realize you made an empty post?

I have an opinion....and I realise that I should not have posted!
-
(kdo) DELETED by kdo : hello :-)
I love westhill. Scawen, do it fasterrrr. Please! Smile
Can't wait to race on it, it looks absolutely fabulous.
The argument that Rift is a bad idea because it doesn't make people faster completely misses the point. My H shifter and clutch probably slow me down, but realism and immersion is much better.
I'm not trying to be unrealistically fast, I'm trying to enjoy an accurate simulation of motor sport.
There seems to be a common delusion that most users of LFS pump dozens of hours each week into competitive online racing. Looking at the number of online racers, it quite clear that this is not the case.
The fact is that the majority of users don't play online. I'd bet also that they'd prefer realism over being competitive. Why wouldn't the devs cater for these people?
Don't forget that everyone has paid them the same amount of money regardless of how they choose to play, how often they play or whether they play online or not.
Not sure if a Rift would make an already fast hotlapper even faster, but then what would? Wink

With Rift one is able to look at the apex of a turn etc, even without having tried that it is imo clear that will give huge advantage. Just multiscreen give advantages too, even dualscreen is worth it.
Hotlappers do not need to do look around so much anyway, they probally know the track "blind."
But for everyone else?
Surely it will make it much easier to judge what the car is going or how close you are to track edge.

Age-old problems of all simulators is that one can not see as much in a monitor as one can see out of the windows of a car. Rift might be one solution to that.
Try racing side by side with very narrow FOV on a single small screen. Then try with bigger FOV on more screens, suddendly you see things that you previously missed. (like others cars or that you were two meters away from ideal line)
Now imagine being able to look excactly where you want to, without awkwardly pressing some buttons.
Being able to see cars that would otherwise be lost in blindspots, that makes big difference.
It is not just about laptimes...
Quote from farcar :competitive online racing.

You suggest there is competitive offline racing? Hahaha.

No, there isn't.
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
-
(Slovakia ring) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG