The online racing simulator
Just seen LFS On the Gadget show :)
Was watching a feature on the show on UK's channel 5 where the presenter was visiting Hyundai's research building and they had a Veloster turbo that doubled up as a simulator for LFS as the footage is projected on to the windscreen!

Nice to see the sim on mainstream TV still
Was this on the new series or an old series?
#3 - Bean0
If you tune in to 5+1 now, its on after the break.
Yes, in the final section of the latest episode of the Gadget Show, with Ortis trying out some unusual inventions at Hyundai, in this case "Real Racing" where you can drive LFS using the controls of a real car after you have parked it! Great that Ortis clearly mentioned "Live for Speed" when explaining how it worked. This was arranged with Hyundai, so thanks to them and the Gadget Show.
doesn someone have the link to the episode/section or something?
Saw you post this on Twitter, cheched it out thinking it was going to be about Oculus Rift and then when i saw it i was blown away! amazing stuff
#8 - lfsrm
Impossible to watch for us outside UK :-( .
You aren't missing much. It's a good idea which has been done hundreds of times before (although perhaps not with an otherwise fully functional car), but rather than a realistic projection of what you could see from the driver's seat, it's just a TV-sized display in the middle of the windscreen. Plenty of other things which would annoy a sim racer about the piece too.

So the important thing here is LFS getting a mention on a relatively popular TV show in the UK, on one of the main channels.
Just watched the episode on Demand 5, it was a cool segment with nice bit of publicity for Live For Speed!
Oculus Rift would made it although quite ok even for sim racers?
Although I'm not particularly interested in ordinary car seat+wheel, I prefer formula/kart seating and feel.
Quote from sinbad :It's a good idea which has been done hundreds of times before

Hundreds time with real car... I dont think so. But idea is good. If they develop this and picture covers 100% windscreen, then future i thinks to buy such a car.

But anyway, uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1X06WcQ3eU
Quote from moffer :But anyway, uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1X06WcQ3eU

Thanks!
Since you cut the end off my sentence......

Quote from moffer :
Quote from sinbad :It's a good idea which has been done hundreds of times before

Hundreds time with real car

Hundreds of times with a real car... I really don't think it has been done with real cars before, you're wrong there.
--------------

Lots of professional simulators use real cars as the cockpit, that's the good part of the idea. Personally I don't like the idea of my front tyres being steered back and forth whilst I sit still for hours playing a simulator in an otherwise real car......and if I can afford that sort of thing but not the fuel to actually drive it I'm doing something very wrong.
Quote from sinbad :Personally I don't like the idea of my front tyres being steered back and forth whilst I sit still for hours playing a simulator in an otherwise real car......

Yeah, dry steering, can't be great for the car. Would be better if they had the car on some plates to allow the wheels to turn properly, like these:
If you are brave you could install steer by wire!
Does it refer to brake-by-wire or am I out of the range completely :]
Quote from vitaly_m :Does it refer to brake-by-wire or am I out of the range completely :]

Aye, it would mean no physical connection between steering wheel and rack, so you could use the wheel for the sim without turning the actual tyres.
Wow there really is a production car using steer by wire! Nissan Infiniti Q50. Well you would have to be brave to drive that. Apparently if the computer breaks down, an actual mechanical connection is restored. As a programmer, I'd find that really hard to trust. Something about putting software in charge of my life... hmm... don't really like planes either btw, though I know they are safer than walking along a road blah blah blah.
As a programmer, I'd find that really hard to trust

Does it have something to do with the kind of programmer you are, or the type of programming is done around?
Time to get our tin hat out of the closet.
bah, no force feedback on the Hyundai... And I agree about the life expectancy of the wheel bearings playing LFS for hours without steer by wire...

But I don't 100% agree that steer by wire can't be safe, we don't all take 6 years to release an update :P... But some aviation style engineering would be needed to ensure the system fails to safe and I'm not sure I would trust some car marques with that job... So I cede the point
At some point, someone will die because of a failure in a steer by wire system. There's just too much to go wrong. I do understand that ordinary steering mechanisms can break too, but there is a lot less to go wrong. Planes do crash killing hundreds of people even though they are said to be safer than lying down in your bed, drinking a glass of water or whatever.
Planes also have redundancy, higher levels of maintenance and checking, more training for the operators, and usually a few seconds to realise something has gone wrong and do something corrective.
Better steer by wire having things under control then some teen mum busy putting a selfie behind the wheel on Twitter. People are not busy with driving anymore these days, only with themselves. Very important.

Just seen LFS On the Gadget show :)
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG