The online racing simulator
#1 - nacim
Update maximum resolution in LFSW
With nowaday screens (1080p for example), car skins in 1024px are too bad, and LFSW compress them too much (it's less important for helmets for example, nobody look at other's helmet ).

It is possible to increase the size to 2048px and with less compression (for example JPG with 80% compression (approximatively 400ko per skin) ?

Times changed sinces the start of LFSWorld, and quality need to be reajusted. What do you think LFS community & LFS devs ?
Agreed. Bandwidth is not really the argument anymore I think. Lot has changed on the internet the last five years.
#4 - nacim
True, computers and displays too.
LFS's high-resolution skins are basicaly low resolution texture of recents games !
#5 - kdo
Quote from cargame.nl :Agreed. Bandwidth is not really the argument anymore I think. Lot has changed on the internet the last five years.

I agree. the display screen resolution need a little update too.

But i'm not one that already own better than a 1920*1080
Yeah, low resolution skins cause motion sickness in Rift
#7 - nacim
It also create sickness of ugly things with my display
I agree totaly, it is MANNY years since I made 1024 skins, I now use 4096 tbh, so other players look at a pixel-stew on my car

Internet and hardware have gone a loooong way since the standard of resolution on skins was set by the developers, a bit overdue on a update.

The problem will be a bigger strain on lfsworld servers, but I am willing to go down on how many skins I can upload, if I can get higher resolution tbh
#9 - nacim
Same for me, I just upload 10 skins, and I don't really need more (even if I create my own skin for every car I use), but I need more quality, like 2048px.

It could be an option like you can upload 50 1024px skins or 25 2048px skins.
Isn't there an option to upload 2048x skins if you pay some cash?
Quote from Bose321 :Isn't there an option to upload 2048x skins if you pay some cash?

If you pay £3 you can download 6000 (really £1 for 2000 but minimum payment ammount is £3) 1024x skins. There's no option to download or upload 2048x which is why leagues have you post them in the forum.

I'd love for higher res skins to be supported by LFSW and the in-game download system. 2048x is probably enough for now but I can see 4096x being preferred in the future.
Even if LFS doesn't have the capability to use skins bigger than 1024 online, I think it'd be nice if LFSW could resize the skin itself, as making 1024 versions of all your skins and saving them in a seperate folder gets a little wearisome after a while.
#13 - Gunn
Quote from McGherkin :Even if LFS doesn't have the capability to use skins bigger than 1024 online, I think it'd be nice if LFSW could resize the skin itself, as making 1024 versions of all your skins and saving them in a seperate folder gets a little wearisome after a while.

Resizing causes quality loss, so best results are found if you make the skin at the desired resoultion in the first place
Quote from Gunn :Resizing causes quality loss, so best results are found if you make the skin at the desired resoultion in the first place

And that is high resolution so the owner of the skin gets the most quality posible xD
Quote from McGherkin :Even if LFS doesn't have the capability to use skins bigger than 1024 online, I think it'd be nice if LFSW could resize the skin itself, as making 1024 versions of all your skins and saving them in a seperate folder gets a little wearisome after a while.

I made an imagemagick script for that; feed it a 2048 png and it'll spit out a high quality 2048 jpg for LFS and the best quality 1024 jpg that'll fit in 400kb for LFSW.
It'd be nice if I could upload 512 ones as well, because I'm sure I could generate something with better quality than the smudge that LFSW comes out with - I have the CPU cycles to burn to do that, not something I'd expect LFSW to spend the time doing.
An alternative solution is that when you connect to a server, your skin is automatically uploaded to LFS World servers in full resolution (or converted to 2048px) or to the server (and the server select max resolution), and then other players download the skin.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG