The online racing simulator
LFS Companion (Alpha)
(387 posts, closed, started )
That says it cannot load the backfire sample, which I suspect is because the archive either isn't extracted with the folder structure intact, or the download was corrupted.

EDIT: just checked the download and all is ok
Quote from Becky Rose :That says it cannot load the backfire sample, which I suspect is because the archive either isn't extracted with the folder structure intact, or the download was corrupted.

EDIT: just checked the download and all is ok

ill re-extract that in a min then, but the relay does work
Cheers for that, I was aware but I had not put it on my to do list.
Quote from Becky Rose :
  • Allow players to specify driver that radio messages are given for

How and where can I specify the driver to follow? Or am I being stupid here?

Nice work. It gets better and better... :-)

Crowley
It's on the config menu, leave it on auto and race a lap in windowed mode and you will find it has auto detected you, turn off auto and save the config file, eh voila
It´s getting better each day

Do you allow to make custom-GUI´s and that they get shared in the community?

Here´s an example:
Attached images
menu Kopie.jpg
Great app, really adds another layer of immersion to the game.

Thanks

edit: Can I suggest providing the update information as an edit to the first post. I didnt read through all 7 pages so downloaded ver0.2 AND ver0.3 thinking due to its size ver0.3 was an incremental update. A little note to say its standalone would benefit many people I imagine
@Sven: Provided the buttons / Windows all work and I dont have to recode anything I have no problems with that.

@pb: That's a very valid point, I have updated the first post to make this clearer .
I'm working on the statistical reporting at the moment, it's still early stages for this so ignore the menu on the right as it will change.

The key feature here, other than the fact that i'm going to extract every concieveable bit of data I can find, is that the program inserts the data onto a template page that you can design yourself. Shown here is the default template I have made, but as long as the web page is .html format the stats output will comply with it.

I hope this will give leagues a whole new level of post race statistical depth, it generates reems of data already and i've only just begun .
Ooops I fogot to attach the example picture, here you go
Attached images
companionData.jpg
Quote from Becky Rose :@Sven: Provided the buttons / Windows all work and I dont have to recode anything I have no problems with that.

Thx.
The Buttons are all aligned to the positions of the original GUI.
No need to recode. It works fine.

Only thing what cause some lil problems, is the background of the settings.
If i use a plain black background, the datas don´t go away at menu-change. Only the new data get shown too.
I don´t know why this happens, and for the moment i use your background of that field, and it works good.
If you know a fast solution for it, please let me know. If you don´t know it, don´t care about it. It works good.

Quote :
hope this will give leagues a whole new level of post race statistical depth, it generates reems of data already and i've only just begun .

great
Quote :If you know a fast solution for it, please let me know. If you don´t know it, don´t care about it. It works good.

That's because I left croma-keying on as it didn't effect my background image, allow me to explain:

Any pixel that is colour 0,0,0 is shown as transparent so when the image is pasted down to clear the screen (no point in doing an actual screen clear when your pasting a full screen image) those transparent pixels are not covered.

To counter this you should ensure that no pixel is 0,0,0 - but there's a complication.

Anyone with a Windows bit depth of 16bit may have their colour indexes remapped so you should ensure that each pixel is at least 8,8,8 - but there's another complication.

Because the image is .jpg the actual colour of a pixel may change when you save it, so you should make sure each pixel in the text area has at least one colour index of about 16.
OK thank you.
Something like that i thought.
With your explain i can handle that easy.
i have done a new ui to. take a look
Attached images
menu.jpg
Attached files
ui.rar - 104.8 KB - 545 views
Neet I added it to the front post, cheers.
Here´s the 1 i did.
I also changed the beep.wav.

The Buttons lite green if marked.
And the save-sound is a crazy horn, short and not disturbing.
Attached images
menu.jpg
Attached files
ui.rar - 235.9 KB - 399 views
Yay ! Added.
@Private Message Person - posted here for all to see.

I dont mind you taking my ideas and running with them, I dont mind you taking things further where I havn't and I dont mind you recreating my work providing you dont brand it as mine or directly use my work without asking.

What I will not do is give away an active project, i'm still writing this, today alone i've added around 10-15 pages of source code. That's a lot by anyones standards, and it's all been a slog because i'm dealing with awkward stuff I dont usually deal with.

That does not meen i'm incapable of writing the project.

So sure, recreate my work I wont stamp on you. However I will not just give you the entire source code. I'm actually quite insulted as to the suggestion. I suppose you asked Scawen for LFS' code too so you could add shader 2 support?

If you want a feature request it, but bear in mind that I have only once ever released the full source code of a project in all the years i've been coding. If you want help making your clone, ask in the appropriate place. Don't expect me to just hand over an active project, I am not incapable.
Quote from Becky Rose :Yay ! Added.

Yay! nnow such a cool program doesnt look like its on a SNES!
just to check, does this need any outgauge set up?
Update sounds excellent, just got in from work so not tested yet but will have a go tomorrow. Its pretty cool its skinnable as well, I'll have to have a quick go at one tomorrow

Regarding open sourcing your app, I can see the point of view from the person who sent you the message, theres quite a few applications that have done much better being open sourced than they could have by only having 1-2 people work on it. Look towards projects such as Linux, The Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. I would not see it as an insult, I have released some of my work under an opensource licence (GPL V2) before which helped them grow. I would agree though its best not to do that at the moment as its still in very heavy development, and it is of course your choice if you prefer to remain the sole developer, very often that works better on small projects with specific goals. Like LFS Vs Racer for example.

So basically, don't feel insulted someone else wanted to hack away at your code Take it as a compliment.
Quote from Jakg :just to check, does this need any outgauge set up?

No, it sets everything by it own.
You just need to make the InSim-Connection.

Standart-Setting is 49999
But in the new version, you can set the InSim-Port on your own.
I just got around to trying LFS Companion and I gotta say GREAT work! I love it and im looking forward to future updates. Im hoping that this will replace my ingame HUD and add to the immersion factor. It's genius! The backfire mod sounds good too. Thanks Now I got more testing to do! The voices are a little hard to understand at times but I guess that's a feature not a bug.

Looking forward to the other great features as well, cant wait! This is something that i'll be definitly keeping!
Whereas the backfire mod kinda leaves skeptical (it just sounds sampled too much as you'll hear the exact same backfires over and over), the pit radio is just plain incredible. Becky, you need to make the on demand reports thing go. That'd just be too awesome.

Tying acknowledgements for in-race pit settings changes would be pretty cool too, like, when asking for a tire change, having your radio operator going "Got it!" would be funny.

One suggestion though, to whoever worked on putting radio call-ins and static, the call-ins and outs are a little too loud, I'd lower their volume by 10-15%. Aside from that, those samples are great!
Pitspotter
I seem to be having some trouble trying to get Companion to work with PitSpotter. The Companion radio sounds and backfires work fine, but pit spotter only annouces the postion of a car ocasionaly and not at the right times either.

I have setup the insim relay to port 29999.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

When you where testing it with Pitspotter Becky, did it work normally for you?

ps loved new version, cheers
This thread is closed

LFS Companion (Alpha)
(387 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG