The online racing simulator
LFS Companion (Alpha)
(387 posts, closed, started )
Quote :But that´s only a question of the used sound-files, so don´t matter

If you make a new profile can I host it for others to use please ?

Quote :i was on place 1 like 1-2 seconds ahead, and i got the messege i´m on place 2

It's to do with LFS' outputting of the data (basically it outputs 8 cars at a time, so if I process 1 lot of data and they've all moved "3 nodes" and the car ahead is only 1 or 2 nodes ahead it will show as overtaking when it hasn't yet overtaken), i've had two ideas here though which will increase accuracy and 1 of them might make tonights update. It's a matter of time though as i've only got a few hours to do all this stuff tonight I shall do my best.

Quote :I would like to get it, into my HeadSet, while i have my LFS-Sound on normal Speakers.

Hands in the air here, I have no idea how to do that.
#52 - Vain
@LFS on speakers and Companion on Headset:
I'm not a pro in sound related things, but during sound initialization you should have a line that binds to a device. Usually you use the "primary device", the standard choice that will make DirectSound pick a device. You should also be able to ask DirectSound for all available sound devices and then ask the user in a menu which one to choose. But that is a feature for later use, when you got the userinterface.

Vain
I have to agree with Kev, your 1st post is just crap. Excuse the language but it was pretty frustrating reading your replies to kev and your immature level of communication.

I actually had to read loads of posts just to find out what the hell it was...
A description of what the application is wouldn't go a miss....

LFS Companion.... is it a virtual friend that appears on your dashboard!?

Nothing there says that a voice plays over your speakers infoming the driver about certain events, which is basically all i wanted to know....

Anyway now that thats all out of the way, it could be quite a good application. I'll try it out when its complete, keep up the good work.
Quote :A description of what the application is wouldn't go a miss....

LFS Companion.... is it a virtual friend that appears on your dashboard!?

But how would it be a virtual friend that appears on your dashboard when it clearly says it is a pit radio mod? What would a pit radio mod do if it didn't send messages to the driver about the race around them? Sure it did not clearly say they where audio messages but that's what the example sound file is there for...

*boggle* - maybe i'm just spoilt by the fact that i've used a real pit radio so I know what one is, but i'd have thought with the coverage that pit radio's get in televised motor sports that any and all racing fans would be familar with the concept, no?

@Vain - the DX sound initialisation is being handled by the compiler, i'm not setting up control manually. If I was writing it in C++ i'd still be working on the backfires .
Quote from Becky Rose :But how would it be a virtual friend that appears on your dashboard when it clearly says it is a pit radio mod?

Ok but that doesn't matter what its called, we have a PitSpotter mod, does that play sounds? No! it displays text....
I honestly thought thats what ur PitRadio mod did too...

Quote from Becky Rose :maybe i'm just spoilt by the fact that i've used a real pit radio so I know what one is

lol!!! thats makes no difference. i used them too but that doesn't make me understand your post any more...
Sounds like i have some special mental forces.
I knew from the first posting what it is, and i understood the:" Feature not ready, yet"
It means it will do it, as soon as the tool is done.

Perhaps she´s writing in a bad english, which fits to my bad english
I don´t care. I could read and understand it.

And yeah, if i can get a Sound-Pack, i will give it to you. And i can host it on my Root-Server too.
And btw: Do you allow me, to host your Mod(perhaps all your mods) on my server, and to offer it on a new german LFS-Portal?
I've never been keen on hosting software on 3rd party sites for two reasons, firstly that of loosing the statistical reporting (which is very useful information), it means I create an app, then hear silence. Also it means users are looking in the wrong place for updates.

However my narcicistic message on the first race restart after loading should ensure that all drivers are aware of the latest version, and I guess I can live without statistical reporting on software of this type as it's not a prime release, but rather a 3rd party mod for somebody elses software which was only writen because I wanted the functionality for myself, and not because i'm reacting to market trends...

So yeah, ok. You may host it for all your autobahn racer mates to download.
Quote :we have a PitSpotter mod, does that play sounds? No! it displays text....

If you're talking about Kegetysis' pit spotter mod, it plays sounds.
So we can make the assumption that it plays sounds when certain events are triggered. What sounds? And for what events?

Although I still don't actually know what it does, I doubt it is so complex and involved that telling us what it does would've been a time-consuming task. I can only assume you were/are being obstinate for the sake of it.
I have changed the example to be in large and bold text so hopefully now people will stop saying "But what does it do?".

As far as Kev is concerned, he opted to make the post confrontational. As far as I am concerned this attitude of 'pick fault in the 1st post' on these forums has been going too far lately, it's one thing to flame a newbie for not using the search feature on the grounds of some anally retentive drive for this forum to be unique amongst all others and never twice repeat a topic, but it's quite another to bitch at someone who's just toiled day and night to improve your play experience.

As far as I care Kev can rot, he doesnt have to download it. He doesnt have to understand what the mod is, he doesn't have to use it, provided he races fair when i'm around I dont give a hoot what he does. I committed myself to releasing the mod, I did not commit myself to helping others get a clue.
Quote :I can only assume you were/are being obstinate for the sake of it.

You now reveal yourself as wanting to know how it works, but have been asking what it does. As an end user I had assumed you wanted to know what it was, in which case, it is a radio mod. If you want to know how it works, i'm afraid i've lost the motivation to go into detail.

If you want to know what triggers are included, actually there's far too many to go into detail. Try the mod, ask for changes in any triggers you think are wrong - but do it through a proxy, as i'm likely to be short with you for some time.
Quote from Becky Rose :You now reveal yourself as wanting to know how it works, but have been asking what it does.

Piss about with semantics all you like, I asked what it does because I wanted to know what it does. You repeatedly replied with what it is - not what it does - because you were too busy whining about forum etiquette to read a perfectly reasonable question properly.

Quote from Becky Rose :As an end user I had assumed you wanted to know what it was, in which case, it is a radio mod.

So you concede that if you'd just read my posts properly instead of making silly assumptions none of this would've happened, and yet...

Quote from Becky Rose :Try the mod, ask for changes in any triggers you think are wrong - but do it through a proxy, as i'm likely to be short with you for some time.

...you're still sulking. Well I suppose I won't waste my time asking you for anything, given how loud I'd have to shout for you to hear me from that far up your own arse.
Hi Becky,

this is a very good mod. Actually a while back I was thinking, how cool it would be to have exactly this kind of pitradio.
I tested it today for some time. Apart from the volume it worked really good. I noticed, that I'm hardly looking on the mini map anymore. :-)

So this is really a nice tool that gives even better immersion in the game as well as additional info. I already have some improvement suggestions, but I will keep them to myself until you publish a beta or even final version. Maybe those things are still to come anyway.

But there are some glitches that I would like to report:
As you said yourself, after a race is finished the pit radio get's a bit carried away. The same happens, when a new race ist started. While I was waiting in the pit, no messages at all (which is normal) but as soon as voting for new race was successfull, several messages are coming before and while I was placed in the grid. I guess until the actual start of the race the pit radio shouldn't say anything (or even better until first split, to avoid adding to the usual T1 confusion :-).

First I was racing on a server with obligatory pitstop, where I was correctly told when the guy before me yet had to pit (really welcomed information BTW). Then I changed onto a server without pitstops. There I kept getting this message, even though it made no sense at all.

After closing LFS and restarting it while leaving your app open, LFS couldn't connect to your app again ("/insim=29999"). I had to close your app as well and restart it. Not sure whether this is by design, just noticed it by coincidence.

So, again, this is a very nice and welcomed mod and I'm looking forward how it develops.

Crowley
@Becky: Thank you much.
But perhaps it could be easier for me, if you post here a list off all files and what is spoken there. Some of the files i can´t translate, so it would be good if i get a list.

and it could answer all questions of thisnameistaken.
OK, it seems like he just wanna make trouble here, and after that list he will find something different to keep discuss about your style of this thread. But he would need to work out new argues.
Quote :several messages are coming before and while I was placed in the grid

This one needs me to go through all the triggers (I may aswell use the same jargon as everyone else in the thread ) and put in exceptions for post/pre-race messages. There are a lot of exceptions for pre-race stuff already (because it needs historical data to work), but some I know are still playing. This wont be in tonights update, but it will get fixed soon.

Quote :I was correctly told when the guy before me yet had to pit (really welcomed information BTW). Then I changed onto a server without pitstops. There I kept getting this message, even though it made no sense at all.

I've looked right through the insim docs and there seems to be no way to detect if a server has compulsory stops, I need your +1 vote on this thread here to fix it . The good news is the configuration options in tonights mod will allow you to manually turn the pit stop reporting off .

Quote :After closing LFS and restarting it while leaving your app open, LFS couldn't connect to your app again ("/insim=29999"). I had to close your app as well and restart it. Not sure whether this is by design, just noticed it by coincidence.

Yah that would happen. I might fix it in the future, I might not, i'll list it as a minor issue that would be nice to fix if there wasn't all this other stuff to do .

Quote :I already have some improvement suggestions, but I will keep them to myself until you publish a beta or even final version.

There's a number of new message triggers coming and some new features, but i'm happy to hear your ideas now especially if they involve fundamental changes it is often better to plan ahead .
Quote :post here a list off all files and what is spoken there

OK, but it might not be tonight as I want to get the relay finished and the update out.
Quote :So you concede that if you'd just read my posts properly instead of making silly assumptions none of this would've happened, and yet...

I concede that if I participate in an internet forum it is my job to be understandable, but not my job to be understood.
Sure i have time.
But i thought that you already have that list used to make the voices in it.
So i thought it´s just copy+paste

You already did a good job, and you´re very interested in feedback and suggestion.
I like that, it´s great if somebody makes improvements for the community for free.
@ BR: looks like you are pretty handy with the programming but man ur people skills could do with some work....
i dont wanna go OT again, but as far as i could see kev jus asked a question. and one that a few people would have like the answer to.
back on topic now for me. the apps looks very promising, hope u stick at it
Kev used sarcasm, he got it back, when he stepped up the ante he got a napalm flame bomb on his lap. It's clear that he's not even interested in the mod despite posting throughout the thread. So yes maybe I need to let myself be walked over - but I should think in the 1000+ posts i've made it's clear to a regular poster like him that i'm just not like that. Put me in a corner and I scratch - appeal to my narcicistic tendancies and I purr...
I've compiled a list of all the sound files and the messages they relate to. Note that it doesn't list exactly what the sound file says. It just gives an idea of what the sound file is trying to get across. I figured it would be a waste of time writing out each sound file verbatim since they will end up being changed for each language. The file is in microsoft Excel (.xls) format.

Becky - I'll volunteer to change the .wavs to .mp3s. I actually started conversion last night. I can easily do that during my spare time at work today (I hope). So, if you want to save some time and effort I can handle this portion. I'll need any updated sounds from you though.

Edit: MP3 sound files are done and have been sent to Becky for inclusion in the next release.
Attached files
LFSCompanionSoundIndex.zip - 8.5 KB - 245 views
No updated sounds just yet, email addy sent via PM.
Well, I can't actually just add static to it, it sounds silly then... I'm stretching (making my voice sound lower) the loops anyway. Who has heard of a young pit crew member, like me?

Well, I'll start some real recording tomorrow, when I have figured out all the effects I will add to it.
UPDATE

0.7mb LFS-Companion update ver ... lpha to version 0.2 Alpha

Enhancements Include:
User interface;
radio volume control;
backfire volume control;
enable/disable features;
outguage relay;
insim relay;
support for multiple voice profiles (just add a folder);
failsafe (untested) for missing sound files in a profile;
a few trigger tweeks.

Does not yet save config settings when you quit, that will come in the next update.

Leach & flame as usual ...

IMPORTANT CHANGE
In order to maintain compatability with Pit Spotter I moved this application to use insim port 49999.
#75 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :UPDATE

0.7mb LFS-Companion update ver ... lpha to version 0.2 Alpha

Enhancements Include:
User interface;
radio volume control;
backfire volume control;
enable/disable features;
outguage relay;
insim relay;
support for multiple voice profiles (just add a folder);
failsafe (untested) for missing sound files in a profile;
a few trigger tweeks.

Does not yet save config settings when you quit, that will come in the next update.

Leach & flame as usual ...

IMPORTANT CHANGE
In order to maintain compatability with Pit Spotter I moved this application to use insim port 49999.

hmmm, im gonna want to try this, if only i knew how to get LFS to always be /insim 49999

EDIT - woo, that was simple to set up, now to test it...
This thread is closed

LFS Companion (Alpha)
(387 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG