The online racing simulator
LFS red-cyan anaglyph test [now available in test patch]
EDIT : Anaglyph 3D mode is now available in Test Patch 0.6F2 : https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86101

After reading this post by Jesse Kyytinen I ordered some cheap red / cyan anaglyph glasses, 4 for £1. Today I tried a quick thing, this was so easy to do by combining top and bottom (full) 3D mode with some of the Oculus Rift render to off screen texture code, and produced this new mode quite quickly. See the attached images.

A bit silly I didn't think of this before the patch release but anyway it does work quite well. There is ghosting and the colours are funny, but it allows LFS to be seen in 3D without any special equipment other than the glasses.

As Forbin points out here you can get better expensive glasses that compensate for the different focal length of the different colours. But you'll still get ghosting so it'll never be the greatest solution. Anyway I guess a lot of people have some cardboard red / cyan glasses somewhere.

Warning : These images contain a lot of separation and it can be hard to allow your brain to look into the screen. The ghost of the other eye's image can overpower the illusion so you fail to see 3D and you just see 2 images. This difficulty varies between people. It's easier to see when the image is moving.
Attached images
lfs_00000014.jpg
lfs_00000015.jpg
lfs_00000017.jpg
lfs_00000018.jpg
Neat I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to go for more expensive glasses though.
Great! I hope there will be some slider allowing to change both eye positions a bit (at pictures above some parts of objects are too far from each other so my brain take them as 2 different objects (using cheap paper glasses)). But you did good job in so small while...

Will it be availaible in 'Westhill update'?
I'm not sure when, I have just been researching a little more as some things are too hard to see. It's because it just uses the red channel of the left eye's view for the left eye output image and the green/blue of the right eye's view for the right eye output image. Really the red channel output for the left eye should be more of a brightness value from the green and blue, rather than being the red colour from the source image. We must accept some loss of colour because the brightness variations are a lot more important.

For example the left and right eye versions of the cones in the second image don't really look like they are the same object at all because their brightness variations are not similar in both eyes. So your brain doesn't want to look at them as one object.

So I'm just looking a little further. I am hoping to release it as a test patch you can use. But I just want to tackle that little problem because there are too many distracting artifacts at the moment. It is supposed to be a quick update though so I'm not going to spend a long time on it.
Under windows 7, you can use the 3D mode (red / cyan anaglyph glasses) for games LFS graphics cards from nVidia. The option is available for drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D-Vision-Discover-Main.html

Here are the screenshots:
Attached images
LFS_1.jpg
LFS_2.jpg
Thanks, those images have the correct brightness balance which my version does not.
Just wondering, will this actually provide a "decent" enough 3D simulation if I were to use this mode alongside with TrackIR? It's most likely not going to be similar to Rift, but the idea in general sounds rather neat for budget based builds just as mine.

EDIT: Well, that sounded better in my head but my point was that does this actually resemble 3D enough to be satisfied with?
michal 1279: Yes, you can adjust the interpupillary distance so the separation is not so great. It seems that the interpupillary distance setting (which matches the image separation for far way objects) should be set less than your real interpupillary distance, to make it easier to look at.

nikopdr: As you are still only looking at a screen in front of you, I don't think its use is connected with the use of TrackIR. So I'd suggest if you normally use TrackIR then you would want to use it with this, but if not, then you wouldn't. It just looks like a window onto a strangely coloured 3D world.

For me, it's interesting because I can see LFS in 3D and only had to spend a pound. By zooming in to get a FOV that matches the real FOV between my eyes and monitor, I get a sense of the scale of the environment that I did not feel in 2D views. But I'm not sure I'd like to race like that for too long, it's a bit odd having such different colour lenses over your eyes. I guess the glasses which adjust the focal length of the left eye would make it more pleasant.

Anyway, it looks like I need to make a simple pixel shader to render the left eye (red) according to the brightness of the green and blue channels, so I'll have a little go at that and if I get acceptable results I'll release a test patch.
I have amblyopia so I don't care. I wish I could care, but I'm simply unable to see anaglyph 3D

But I still think that it's something worth implementing if it doesn't take much effort. So good luck Scawen.
Quote from Amynue :I have amblyopia so I don't care. I wish I could care, but I'm simply unable to see anaglyph 3D

But I still think that it's something worth implementing if it doesn't take much effort. So good luck Scawen.

I belive I have that too
I remember when Spy Kids 3D has been released everyone were like wow, this is so awesome, but I never really saw any 3D thought I can see 3D in Oculus Rift as weel as in real life
Quote from Amynue :I have amblyopia so I don't care. I wish I could care, but I'm simply unable to see anaglyph 3D

Tough luck, man. Having a lazy eye must suck.

Good luck Scawen in implementing the anaglyph 3D mode. It will be useful for sure!
Hehe, that's great Scawen!
I do recall trying the anaglyph mode a while back (as built-in with the gfx-card) and it worked very well (as shown by Lucas McFly).

Enjoyed it for a couple of races now and then, also showed it to friends/relatives (who were generally knocked off the chair ).

However, you (well, I) start to miss the colors after a while and switch back to 2D. Nice to see your experiments with this option though!

I've got the same problem, no 3D perception for me. Looks like there are quite a lot of us in here. I have more problems with my eyes than that, in fact.

Quote from Amynue :Actually there is hope that I might be able to cure amblyopia using Oculus Rift:
http://www.medgadget.com/2013/ ... py-against-amblyopia.html
http://diplopiagame.com/
and they say video games are bad for your eyes...

Interesting, I always thought amblyopia could be cured until a certain age in childhood, after that it's impossible. But it's good to see that it somehow works.

Sorry for a bit of off-topic
Quote from Flame CZE :Interesting, I always thought amblyopia could be cured until a certain age in childhood, after that it's impossible. But it's good to see that it somehow works.

The fact that it can be corrected in adults was discovered and confirmed over the last few years. I found out about it a few days ago by accident. You can find a scientific report about it here: http://www.nature.com/srep/201 ... 02638/full/srep02638.html

I was going to buy the consumer version of the Rift anyway, but now I'm even more excited about it. What about you Flame, are you going to buy a Rift?
tried with glasses and looked good to me
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG