The online racing simulator
#26 - abz1
It might be a good idea to move the map to the right of the screen under the time. This should solve the problem when the text overlaps the map.
Quote from abz1 :It might be a good idea to move the map to the right of the screen under the time. This should solve the problem when the text overlaps the map.

While im not bothered about the test/map overlapping as this is easily solved by blocking, what is slightly annoying is when you want to use the Menu.

For instance, I need to change my FOV so I press escape to bring up the menu, but if the text has scrolled down my window alot then it overlaps the menu a bit, meaning I either have to block or press 'h' to remove the chat lines so I can see and access the menu.

So, if possible it would be nice to switch the layers so that the Menu appears infront of any text and/or game window data, i.e. Menu 'always on top' feature
Quote from t1ger :Firstly, thanks for these updates - they are fantastic! Especially the new track selection screen - love it and love how it came with help from the community!

Now, as you have made changes to the minimap, I thought I would add my two pence! I suggested some time ago, that the biggest addition to the mini map would be the colour of the racer directly in front of you and the person directly behind you in position, be coloured slightly differently.

For example, I am in a race with 6 others and I am 3rd. The colours on the minimap would be:

Place Colour
1st Yellow - as they are now
2nd Light yellow
3rd Green - as it is now
4th Light orange
5th Orange - as it is now
6th Orange - as it is now

You only really need to know who these people are because they are the people fighting with you for the next position.

I am sure it should be fairly easy to do (should you want to ) and compatible.

Thanks and keep up the good work (Scawen and Community alike!!! )

Tim

EDIT: oh yes, nearly forgot, the server list sorting is most excellent!

I like this idea, I´d use another color code though.
Here´s my idea:

Place Colour
2nd Purple (I fear that light yellow will be barely distinguishable from the yellow)
3rd Green - as it is now
4th Red (as it is a very important thing to see where the car behind you is)

Perhaps also a different color for cars that ar one lap down, blue would do it

P.S.: Great work with all these patches
+ 1 lap blue.. that's what I always thought..
AI's = blue

Sorta like what LRB_Aly was saying, Maybe have it a gradient effect, where Green = first then it slowly gradients to an orange, and the player behind you is a contrasting colour (Customizable colours maybe?) with lapped people being another colour (have it all customizable, E.G the ability to select what colours it fades to, what colour leader is, person behind, lap down ectera...)
Quote from dawesdust_12 :AI's = blue

Sorta like what LRB_Aly was saying, Maybe have it a gradient effect, where Green = first then it slowly gradients to an orange, and the player behind you is a contrasting colour (Customizable colours maybe?) with lapped people being another colour (have it all customizable, E.G the ability to select what colours it fades to, what colour leader is, person behind, lap down ectera...)

Not sure if it has been said before, If it has, consider it a "+1" vote.

Anyway, here is my idea;

Instead of having different coloured triangles, why not replace them with numbered triangles? I.e. 1st place a 1, 2nd place a 2, etc... They could still be kept very small so they don't overlap etc.... Then have 1 colour for people in front, 1 for yourself, 1 for people behind, and 1 for people who are 1 or more laps behind you.......

What do other people think of this idea?? If you can't picture it, I'll draw up an example on photoshop if need be...

Anyway, great work as always Scavier!
Quote from Kegetys :Instead of removing the map from the arenas, the map could instead be made more useful there by displaying autox objects in it.

My words exactly

+1
I think AIs should be grey. I like the lapped=blue idea, but the positions should not be colourcoded. I know I would have problems memorising them Instead, have small texts following each car saying 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. at a customisable size and colour.
Quote from t1ger :Firstly, thanks for these updates - they are fantastic!

Place Colour
2nd Light yellow
3rd Green - as it is now
4th Light orange

I agree on that, and I especially like that you don't add many new colors. Seeing the positions of the chased/chasing racers is really the most needed information, and packing too much information in that little map will make it confusing. While racing you normally only have time for a quick glance on the map, and if this map is a quirly mess of colors then nobody is helped.

I can also see the concerns about light yellow/orange not being distinguishable enough, though. Maybe put a black dot in them for marking the closest racers?
So instead of Light yellow/orange you'd have
2nd = yellow + black dot
4th = organe + black dot

Anyways, in conclusion:
+ln(e)
I'm not sure about aditional colour coding and numbering. If you add too much variation it will look very busy and confusing on the map.

Just my thoughts. It would be nice to have a more consistant way of showing other drivers, their positions and who you are viewing, instead of the currently seperate connection table, results table and whatever else there is
I also agree that the map must not be too crowded or too complex. Otherwise there is no use of it.

However, being able to distinguish the closest (in race position) racers to you is a real need for me. To be honest, I don't really care where the last guy in the race is or the first guy, if he is miles ahead. I do however care, where the guys next to me are.

What do you think of the black dot marking? No new colors but the racers next to you would be clearly distinguishable.
Maybe add the near-car-info as a marker at the edge of the screen.

So when a car gets near you (from behind), the marker appears at the lower corner of the screen. When the car gets next to you, the marker changes colour and its position at the edge of the screen represents where the other car is relative to you.
Quote from SladiVadi :Maybe add the near-car-info as a marker at the edge of the screen.

So when a car gets near you (from behind), the marker appears at the lower corner of the screen. When the car gets next to you, the marker changes colour and its position at the edge of the screen represents where the other car is relative to you.

Although its a good idea, I think that would be a bit too arcade-ish for LfS. We do have mirrors in our cars.
Quote from SladiVadi :Maybe add the near-car-info as a marker at the edge of the screen.

ive suggested something similar a while ago with two coloured bars at the sides of the screen to somewhat replicate peripheral vision
Please dont waste time with upgrading minimap. Everytime I see minimap, I think "oh, another arcade looking game.." Instead of minimap, we need trafic lights in pit end etc. What is imo bad, I cant switch off hud (shift+f), because I dont know what lap and position I'm on. I like GTR2demo way, table and radio requests, no screen full of hud. I'd like less arcade components in LFS.

Quote from Wordan :Just my thoughts. It would be nice to have a more consistant way of showing other drivers, their positions and who you are viewing, instead of the currently seperate connection table, results table and whatever else there is

agreed
Quote from St4Lk3R :Although its a good idea, I think that would be a bit too arcade-ish for LfS. We do have mirrors in our cars.

I agree
Quote from Pablo.CZ :Please dont waste time with upgrading minimap. Everytime I see minimap, I think "oh, another arcade looking game.." Instead of minimap, we need trafic lights in pit end etc. What is imo bad, I cant switch off hud (shift+f), because I dont know what lap and position I'm on. I like GTR2demo way, table and radio requests, no screen full of hud. I'd like less arcade components in LFS.

agreed

+1
On AS Historic at some times part of the map disappears off the screen. In this case my location is not visible, as it is on part of the map that is not visible.
Attached images
minimap.JPG
Quote from Wordan :I'm not sure about aditional colour coding and numbering. If you add too much variation it will look very busy and confusing on the map.

Just my thoughts. It would be nice to have a more consistant way of showing other drivers, their positions and who you are viewing, instead of the currently seperate connection table, results table and whatever else there is

+1
Quote from PLAYLIFE :On AS Historic at some times part of the map disappears off the screen. In this case my location is not visible, as it is on part of the map that is not visible.

I believe that's because the minimap rotates in accordance to your relative direction. Since you are facing the wall, off track somewhere, the minimap rotates as well, making your location not visible as you say. If you had turned the car facing away from the wall and towards the correct direction of the track, most likely your position would become visible again.

As for the minimap itself and the new triangles, I think it's good but here's my suggestion to make it better. Everyone, so far, has been mentioning position numbers of different colors to distinguish lapped cars and those on the same lap. I would think that shapes are far more easier. Keep the color coding as they are now, but if a driver is a lap or more behind then the shape would change, for an example, back to the squares. Those on the same lap would be triangles but still using the color coded system as it is now. This way you still have to see only 2 colors on the minimap (so it's not too messy or "arcadey" as it's been mentioned before).
Quote from ZeroR :I believe that's because the minimap rotates in accordance to your relative direction. Since you are facing the wall, off track somewhere, the minimap rotates as well, making your location not visible as you say. If you had turned the car facing away from the wall and towards the correct direction of the track, most likely your position would become visible again.

As for the minimap itself and the new triangles, I think it's good but here's my suggestion to make it better. Everyone, so far, has been mentioning position numbers of different colors to distinguish lapped cars and those on the same lap. I would think that shapes are far more easier. Keep the color coding as they are now, but if a driver is a lap or more behind then the shape would change, for an example, back to the squares. Those on the same lap would be triangles but still using the color coded system as it is now. This way you still have to see only 2 colors on the minimap (so it's not too messy or "arcadey" as it's been mentioned before).

So how's that? (look at the minimap)

As for lapped drivers, well crashers are usually lapped and you certainly would want to see which way they are driving...
Attached images
minimap2.JPG
Quote from PLAYLIFE :So how's that? (look at the minimap)

As for lapped drivers, well crashers are usually lapped and you certainly would want to see which way they are driving...

On the minimap you attached: Well that is a view I don't use when racing so I can't help you there.

Errmmm, you just contradicted yourself, as just a few posts before, you mentioned you didn't care about "those who are miles away from you". Now you say you want to know which direction the crashers are driving??? If the crashers are around you and you can't figure out which direction they are heading that you would need to see it on the minimap, I can't help you out there either.

BTW, I only turned the minimap back on just recently just to see the new triangle shapes (so pretty). I used to only race league races so when i had the minimap on, I would look there, loose my concentration and soon find myself in the grass or sand trap. So I turned it off and had much better results. Hmmm.. I think I better turn the minimap off again

Anyways, I said "squares" as an example for lapped traffic. It could be any other shape. What I mentioned is not what Scawen HAS to code into LFS, so don't worry so much that it's not going to be to your liking.
inconsequent: minimap on all tracks (autoX too!!!) or no minimap at all. why should the autoX thing be disadvantaged in features?

the minimap is imo the only way to get a picture what is going on on the track when you are racing on autocross layouts...
Quote from ZeroR :On the minimap you attached: Well that is a view I don't use when racing so I can't help you there.

It has nothing to do with the view... :doh: All the longer Aston configs are so big, it's just too big to display with the map placed where it is now... I couldn't care less about it though...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG