The online racing simulator
2014 IndyCar Series
(136 posts, started )
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Did Dixon get a penalty in the end? He and Wilson were at it for a couple of corners before so it's not like Dixon wouldn't expect him to be close by.

he should have
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Did Dixon get a penalty in the end? He and Wilson were at it for a couple of corners before so it's not like Dixon wouldn't expect him to be close by.

He didn't. The officials have adopted a more "relaxed" views on incidents over the winter, which is subject of much controversy: http://racer.com/indycar/item/ ... d-non-calls-at-long-beach

IMHO it's quite a tough incident to judge anyway, as from what I recall, Scott followed the racing line, and left more than one car width to Justin. But I haven't seen the incident again so I might be wrong. Definitely not as easy to call not as the Power-Pagenaud incident.
Good to see Montoya up to pace, shame he binned it... Was an interesting race
Yeah Montoya showed signs of his old self in that race, I think he will improve as the season gets on, still lots of rust though.
There's what, like 2.5 passing opportunities there?
this would of been more appropriate for the F1 cars avoiding most of the cambered oval corner.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :There's what, like 2.5 passing opportunities there?

Seems like it. Which is not THAT bad for a 1:10 lap TBH.

Not really sure about that section on the inside of the oval T1 however, it's slow and isn't really a passing zone. I mean, they got rid of most of those tedious 2nd gear corners on the infield and they add 2 there. Last corner is kind of cool though. I guess the idea was to provide a slow, technical section to watch from the T1 grandstands.

Interesting to see it has remained fairly low grip, was kind of cool to see SeaBass fighting so much with the steering wheel. But of course it was the first ever official session on the track, might change later with rubber.

Overall it seems much better than the old layout so job done, whether it was worth the investment is another question, but if the Indy GP idea sticks it could well be.
I like the layout edit in the last part of the course, much better. Quite liked the old layout's alower corners but this looks like an interesting track.
Track is nice, shame it is so short. Two passing opportunities a lap isn't bad when the race will have plenty of laps.
I'm at the qualifications day for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis...pagenaud quickest in am prac, was wet but drying...qual at 2pm east coast USA time. USF2000 qual just starting. Threat of rain all day.
Jealous!
Ryan Hunter-Ray just Ralf Schumacher'd it out of the final corner at the end of qual. LOUD bang on impact, heard it fom several hundred yards away, they heard it at start finish also. He got out and looks okay. Savedra on pole, changing weather all session. USF2000 race 1 up shortly.
once again Hawksworth impresses me, great talent and maturity behind the wheel.
Hawksworth is very impressive, but who the heck was calling race strategy for him? Let's pit with 37 to go with a pit window of 27 - 29 laps Genius. It lost him the race most likely.
I agree, as long as the kid keeps driving like that, and is decent on ovals, I can see a bigger team poaching him
Quote from Cornys :Hawksworth is very impressive, but who the heck was calling race strategy for him? Let's pit with 37 to go with a pit window of 27 - 29 laps Genius. It lost him the race most likely.

Good point. Very surprised that so many teams went for a pitstop during this caution. (and by the way, I am pretty sure that BHA's strategist is no other than Bryan Herta)

I'm quite disappointed that IndyCar is closing the pits again under yellow on road/street courses anyway...

Quote from Mustangman759 :I agree, as long as the kid keeps driving like that, and is decent on ovals, I can see a bigger team poaching him

Ovals were clearly his main weakness in Lights, but with more track time(and the lower-downforce package IndyCar mandates on most ovals other than Indy), it could possibly change, we shall see.
Also the lights cars are very easy to drive compared to the proper car. Conservation should help him.
Kurt is doing a great job.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :He is. But being fast on your own is one thing(especially since with the current aero package, it's easy flat all the way), being fast in traffic is another. Let's see how he does in the race.

Arguably, Kurt may have more experience with racing on an oval in aerodynamic traffic than most of the drivers in the field, but just how similar is a stock car and an Indy Car in aerodynamic traffic? Stock cars cannot hope to pass at Indy unless they get a huge run off of the corner, and we know that in Indy Cars it's much easier to pass.

I can see it being less of a problem for him than others, but it still could present quite a problem. If he's quick enough to hold down the front of the field though (top 5), it may not matter as much.

2014 IndyCar Series
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG