The online racing simulator
My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Pablo Donoso :
Q) How much would it cost if it took $1 dollar per player per year, to save
the statistics for lap data, if it were a group of 1000 people?

A) $1000 dollars a year.

Add up a few thousand of us that have paid for LFS with hundreds of thousands of Demo users that haven't paid at all, then multiply the cost per player with the amount of years they played which even if it where a few pennies per person would still be tens of thousands of dollars within the first few years. A few MB's here and there add up quick when skins are taken into account.

It isn't as simple as you describe. Those players are spending years in demo simply because they have no intention in paying even a penny for the game. If you removed the demo feature, or didn't even implement it in the beginning it wouldn't double the number of S2 users, I'd even guess less users would have paid for the game. That is a dead assumption, which has been made ages ago and as wrong as possible.
Not to mention that AFAIK, LFS owns the servers that run the infrastructure. That means there's only colocation as a cost.
Quote from Gabox :For god sake, I'm not saying that they should hire 50 people. I'm saying it's definitely not OK, that all the programming is done by one person. Scawen should focus on physics only, because that's his main interest I guess. There should be a separate guy for the graphics, and networking at least, 2 people for designing/maintaining cars/tracks, and 1 for building the site.

Not so many people, but with this build, you could actually move forward, and things would not settle because of the f*cking tire model.
Anyway, i think it's a bit too late for this. They should have expanded the team right away when S2 got released, and money was still flowing.

I respect Scawen for his technical skills, but he obviously sucks at project management, and this role should be taken away from him.

I respect Scawen for his technical skills, but he obviously sucks at project management,...

Yeah. That.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :There's still 2 months of paying a person to literally do nothing except read code.

Also, Scawen clearly doesn't want to. He wants to do things in the order he feels happy with. He's had chances for people to give wholesale car data, and rejected it because it's not in "his" vision of LFS.

I can respect Scawen for having his own vision for LFS, and not compromising that vision to make a quick buck or to hop on some trend that he's not passionate about. It may not be what we desire, or at the speed we desire, but it was made extremely clear before we purchased our LFS licence that LFS was in development, and that things could change at will.

I can respect Scawen for having his own vision for LFS, and not compromising that vision to make a quick buck or to hop on some trend that he's not passionate about. It may not be what we desire, or at the speed we desire, but it was made extremely clear before we purchased our LFS licence that LFS was in development, and that things could change at will.

Yeah. That.
And that is the most appealing thing about it to me.

I could care less about coding and whatnot as I like sunlight.
But I do know a little about mass production and final output decided by committee. The only way that works is with compromise. All sorts of reasons demand that compromise. What in LFS would you want compromised so this committee can get S3 out there?
I figure when LFS was developed, or started out, it was done with the attitude of a garage band. Now this garage band is asked to perform at Wembley Stadium.
LOL the Black Keys of video games. No wait LFS has old cars... Timbuk 3
Yeah the Timbuk 3 of video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeA20ydkjKM
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You must be great fun at parties.

Troll.

I think you need to help him fix his username :P
Quote from Bmxtwins :http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g09.html

What's your point? That the Americans have managed to bastardise every single phrase ever conceived?

Saying "I could care less" is just ridiculous. That means nothing. Someone saying "I couldn't care less" actually means something.

It means that if the given subject tried really really hard to not care about something, they could not actually care less than they currently do.

Good job using Google at least Ray. It's a exhibition of small personal growth. Maybe next time you'll post something useful.

:clapclap:
I wouldnt be surprised if it happend ! many Studios took that way for their sim Iracing Rfactor2, R3E and even Assetto Corsa will have a DLC program!!! it's the only way to make money and keep the sim up to date without loosing money ! No money no update no update no players. I prefere paying for a full service instead paying 40$ for a game that has only couple years of life and will die like LFS. I will pay the membership without any argue if the sim is good
My theory of what happened to LFS is this:

Scawen and Eric are heroically stubborn
The community around LFS is full of immature people
????
This thread
Yes. What you originally said was "I do give a rat's ass", which is clearly the opposite of what you meant.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes. What you originally said was "I do give a rat's ass", which is clearly the opposite of what you meant.

incorrect, he said: ''I could give a rats ass''.
or they could change everything and let you pay for example

10 bucks to get access to one car turbo
10 bucks for aerodynamics
20 for suspension
100 to get your own setup
finally since this model will slowly rise up to EA levels each skin will be 200 bucks
also pit stops will be like real life you want fresh tyres and more fuel? well pay them with real life currency exchange!

(also you will need a sponsor for the car)
Ghosts in a ghost town
LFS is dead. Nothing has happened in a very long time and what was a great simulator with a great community has turned into a frustrated community and a dead simulator.

If Scawen & co have any sense they have quietly moved on to pastures new and left you lot to the sinking ship.

Move on - or don't - whatever. No one cares anymore, this is an ex-parrot.
since there is people around playing its not dead
lfs is mature enough to move on
Quote from giannhsgr1 :or they could change everything and let you pay for example

10 bucks to get access to one car turbo
10 bucks for aerodynamics
20 for suspension
100 to get your own setup
finally since this model will slowly rise up to EA levels each skin will be 200 bucks
also pit stops will be like real life you want fresh tyres and more fuel? well pay them with real life currency exchange!

(also you will need a sponsor for the car)

I think iRacing already patented that business model.
iracing is like iphone only for hippies that doesnt know better
Quote from giannhsgr1 :iracing is like iphone only for hippies that doesnt know better

Not quite, considering an iPhone actually has functionality unlike iRacing.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Not quite, considering an iPhone actually has functionality unlike iRacing.

well wrong point

you pay a lot just to be fancy
@Gabox There is a time in development when you overcome most challanges and the challanges remaining are too much time consuming without big effect or just not interesting enough.
I think thats what is happening as Scawen working on this sim for years pretty much personally. I think he already overcome his biggest challanges so isnt as motivated. This isnt his main job also. Thats my opinion.
Quote from giannhsgr1 :iracing is like iphone only for hippies that doesnt know better

I agree, you get a half-decent support and consistent service for you money. I don't see how anyone is fancy by getting iRacing. You've never thought about the fact that some racers would love to compete online regularly, right?

I want online racing without children, and a number of reachable short-terms goals to achieve. Show me a better one then according to my preference.
gtr 2
its free(nowdays)
there are tons of mods for it (some really high quality..if you like historical models too..)
kids dont play it because they dont even know about it
and it doesnt have too much of a community (worse than lfs but it still going)

then is lfs (or was or or or..)

the good thing with iracing is the payment model that is the main reason that you dont get idiots/kids/divebombers/jihadists

(i personally think that achivements is the worst things that could happen to them game genre as a whole..suddenly you see rankwhores and achievement whores everywere destroying the fun )
So you are suggesting that I can fire up my GTR2 and/or LFS any night and jump into a balanced grid of 30 cars? I think I didn't experience that in LFS for years now, not even in league races. Also in most of the Simbin games, I tend to find the kids online, simply because it's too forgiving for a kamikaze action. I can only wish Assetto Corsa hurries up with fixing their netcode and the joining system so even pickup racing can be enjoyable at some point. It will never reach the standards of the iRacing matchmaking in a popular series though.
This thread is closed

My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG