The online racing simulator
My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
#1 - Gabox
We can all agree of the fact, there is no way that the devs have abandoned this magnificent sim.

So, here is my theory:

Scawen, and the rest of the team realized, that they cannot go further anymore with the "pay once, play forever" model, and they decided to change LFS to the subcription based model that iRacing has.

That's it, they are turning LFS to a continuously improved service. Of course, this cannot happen overnight, so the team is now developing the back end systems to support that, including advanced multiplayer features like leagues, licenses, safety rating and stuff like that.

It is easy to see that the subscription based, continuously improved service model is the future of sim racing, and any sim that doesn't follow this model, will die soon (including assetto corsa). Their original plan to declare the game finished by releasing S3 is obsolate, as there is no such thing as finished sim in this new era. There are always things to improve, and the only model that can support that, is iRacing's model.

So that's it folks, some competition is coming to iRacing which is great!
I don't know what drugs are you taking,but you should decrease the dosage!
#3 - Gabox
Quote from Eclipsed :I don't know what drugs are you taking,but you should decrease the dosage!

No drugs man. I used my bare intellect to figure this one out.:nerd:
Then I feel sorry for your intelect... One does not have to be economy expert to see,that it will go totally wrong if devs will put subscription to sim,that's slowly losing player base (as we know,that most feel something promised and are disapointed to not get it,so they are leaving,leaving only true racing fanatics still enjoying racing).
#5 - Gabox
Quote from Eclipsed :Then I feel sorry for your intelect... One does not have to be economy expert to see,that it will go totally wrong if devs will put subscription to sim,that's slowly losing player base (as we know,that most feel something promised and are disapointed to not get it,so they are leaving,leaving only true racing fanatics still enjoying racing).

LOL, just remember my theory, and enjoy watching it happen
this was the funnies thing I've ever read.
#7 - Gabox
I respect your theory, but I don't think it's correct
Thanks for the laugh.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Thanks for the laugh.

I guess you think that they are still f*cking around with the tire model.
Don't be so ignorant, and admit to yourself, that they are working on something greater than that.
Quote from Gabox :I guess you think that they are still f*cking around with the tire model.
Don't be so ignorant, and admit to yourself, that they are working on something greater than that.

bicycling yes
@gabox I think from the previous replies, you are not only barking up the wrong tree, you are in totally the wrong forest to be fair.

Scawen and his team as you put it, are doing what they want and how they know best, it's as simple as that, so there is not subscription basis like IRacing as you put it.

It will be, as they said from day one, a one off payment for S3, but thank you for your outset and make us smile

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :@gabox I think from the previous replies, you are not only barking up the wrong tree, you are in totally the wrong forest to be fair.

Scawen and his team as you put it, are doing what they want and how they know best, it's as simple as that, so there is not subscription basis like IRacing as you put it.

It will be, as they said from day one, a one off payment for S3, but thank you for your outset and make us smile

Fordie

Who cares what they said 5 years ago? Times are changing, and they have to adapt to stay in business.
It will be even more funny to bash you when the tyre physics will finally be finished but the payment method will stay the same.
Quote from Sobis :It will be even more funny to bash you when the tyre physics will finally be finished but the payment method will stay the same.

Do you think your sh*tty 25 bucks that you paid them in 2006, will keep them happy forever? If I'm wrong, and no development is going, that's only because they realized that they can earn much more money by getting a job.

Yes, they f*cked up with the current payment model, but it's not too late to change it.
Quote from Gabox :Do you think your sh*tty 25 bucks that you paid them in 2006, will keep them happy forever?

No,but if LFS devs would be so much after money,we would have S5 level content already (maybe rushed,buggy,but would be released). But obviously they aren't so much money-motivated,as they have decided to rework tyre model instead of next content level,which they can sell. And some subscription system deffinitely won't be that hard to code,as they are taking so much time for it.
Why don't you take your conspiracy theories somewhere,where some still believe that The King is still alive?
Quote from Gabox :Who cares what they said 5 years ago? Times are changing, and they have to adapt to stay in business.

You have a point, however it is their business to run as they want. If they wanted to make a fortune they could have done, however they chose to keep it the way it is. The only targets the have to meet are what they choose and as long as it keeps paying the bills and making a bit of money it's not a bad way to make a living, doing what you enjoying doing with only yourselves to answer too
Quote from GAVD999 :You have a point, however it is their business to run as they want. If they wanted to make a fortune they could have done, however they chose to keep it the way it is. The only targets the have to meet are what they choose and as long as it keeps paying the bills and making a bit of money it's not a bad way to make a living, doing what you enjoying doing with only yourselves to answer too

There is a difference between not getting rich, and not earning money at all.
The later seems to be the case now.
Quote from GAVD999 :Indeed and as Scawen posted a while back :

https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1833284#post1833284

Well, I was not aware that Scawen is still posting to the forum.
By reading this post from him, you have the impression that we are dealing with a bunch of hippies, who really have no desire to take responsibility.

If this is really the case, then we can officially declare LFS dead. It's already a miracle they managed to go this far with this sim.
Quote from Gabox :Well, I was not aware that Scawen is still posting to the forum.
By reading this post from him, it seems that we are dealing with a bunch of hippies, who have really no desire to take responsibility.

If this is really the case, then we can officially declare LFS dead. It's already a miracle they managed to go this far with this sim.

lol
Quote from Gabox :It's already a miracle they managed to go this far with this sim.

I wouldn't call it a miracle. good games tend to live a very long life. like CS1.6 which is still going. why? the game is good and has a great competitive or fun aspect where people simple come back for. Same goes for LFS. Same goes for rollercoaster tycoon
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :I wouldn't call it a miracle. good games tend to live a very long life. like CS1.6 which is still going. why? the game is good and has a great competitive or fun aspect where people simple come back for. Same goes for LFS. Same goes for rollercoaster tycoon

Yeah, but the long life will soon come to the end, if they don't change their hippie mentality.
This thread is closed

(221 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG