The online racing simulator
My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Eclipsed :
Why don't you take your conspiracy theories somewhere,where some still believe that The King is still alive?

Depends on who you call the king...Elvis/George/Jackson are dead...sadly Senna too..but King Kenny is still living.
Brilliant! Apparently I was wrong thinking that the conspiracy theories about frozen LFS development cannot get any crazier
Quote from MadCatX :Brilliant! Apparently I was wrong thinking that the conspiracy theories about frozen LFS development cannot get any crazier

Challenge accepted!
Sorry folks. LFS is dead. It isn't coming back this year or the next. It just isn't. A post on a forum from one of the devs in 2003 should be an indicator. Like others, im loving the denial.
Quote from Rpbert :Sorry folks. LFS is dead. It isn't coming back this year or the next. It just isn't. A post on a forum from one of the devs in 2003 should be an indicator. Like others, im loving the denial.

You must be great fun at parties.

Troll.
Quote from Rpbert :Sorry folks. LFS is dead. It isn't coming back this year or the next. It just isn't. A post on a forum from one of the devs in 2003 should be an indicator. Like others, im loving the denial.

But numerous test patches with the 3D engine ported over to DX9 and VR goggles support might...
If you go back and read over this entire thread, you will, at least, see why some of us, including myself, haven't really stuck around as strong as we used to. Disagreeing is one thing, but people can be really hard on those who suggest things like this, cruel even.

The theory is interesting, and certainly a possibility, although I find unlikely as well, I feel we would have heard something by now; but why not keep an open mind, it's healthy discussion.

I post maybe once or twice a year, because of the way people behave, but again, many, if not most here are good people.
Most people here are kind and generous, but some just... come down way too hard on people for talking about this Sim's development and its direction. I realize how much people care about LFS, so I'm understanding of people taking a hard line when discussing stuff like this, but it's almost always over the top and too much.
Myself, I think it's worth thinking about. I don't know how difficult programming is, truly, I don't have much experience, but I did study physics, and I have a hard time believing the delay is simply an issue of the tire physics model. Something more must be going on.
i belive LFS will flare upp because iRacing is too ****ing stupid..
I wish scawen would put his mind a littl bit on fixing the physics.. because i belive they are a littl bit flawed.. and it showes on the owal tracks..
Think about it.. iRacing can not measure up to LFS when it comes to cost versus racing..
Quote from axabaxa :i belive LFS will flare upp because iRacing is too ****ing stupid..

Quote from axabaxa :I wish scawen would put his mind a littl bit on fixing the physics.. because i belive they are a littl bit flawed.. and it showes on the owal tracks..

Quote from axabaxa :Think about it.. iRacing can not measure up to LFS when it comes to cost versus racing..

I (sort of) agree, but have you heard of the edit button?
yea sorry about that... i got ADHD and it is mutch easier too wright and post and wright and post.. somehow.. cant hold a thought too long you know..
Quote from axabaxa :Think about it.. iRacing can not measure up to LFS when it comes to cost versus racing..

Yeah it is expensive but a quality service. And the quality is ensured by the monthly subscription fee, that allows them to keep the service healthy each month.

Pay once, play forever model is simply not efficient for massive multiplayer games like racing sims.

Check out my similar thread in the AC forum for more details:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/fo ... ac-is-not-a-service.8253/
Quote from axabaxa :yea sorry about that... i got ADHD and it is mutch easier too wright and post and wright and post.. somehow.. cant hold a thought too long you know..

I understand your handicaps. I am sorry for my ignorance.
Quote from Gabox :Yeah it is expensive but a quality service. And the quality is ensured by the monthly subscription fee, that allows them to keep the service healthy each month.

Pay once, play forever model is simply not efficient for massive multiplayer games like racing sims.

Check out my similar thread in the AC forum for more details:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/fo ... ac-is-not-a-service.8253/

Suggesting that iRacing "got it" would mean that all of us play iRacing and AC and LFS aren't required to continue development as everyone plays iRacing.

It's pretty obvious that isn't the case, so to suggest every racing sim to go to a service model, would be like suggesting every motorcycle to become a trike, because 1 manufacturer makes trikes.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Suggesting that iRacing "got it" would mean that all of us play iRacing and AC and LFS aren't required to continue development as everyone plays iRacing.

It's pretty obvious that isn't the case, so to suggest every racing sim to go to a service model, would be like suggesting every motorcycle to become a trike, because 1 manufacturer makes trikes.

But you do know, that in 20 years, 95% of cars manufactured will be pure electric? Why? If something doesn't make sense anymore, it is slowly replaced by a new, and more efficient paradigm. There are pioneers like Tesla, but others will join soon.

For me iRacing is the Tesla of racing sims...
Quote from Eclipsed :Then I feel sorry for your intelect... One does not have to be economy expert to see,that it will go totally wrong if devs will put subscription to sim,that's slowly losing player base (as we know,that most feel something promised and are disapointed to not get it,so they are leaving,leaving only true racing fanatics still enjoying racing).

It's a plausible theory - don't be an arse.

While I don't think this is why things are being delayed, it is certainly a creative and possible idea. Sure LFS is near dead now, it's been going that way for some time and it's really not 100% down to there being no updates. I've grown up on this sim, grown up with people my own age and unfortunately for LFS the entire generation has moved on. We're all at university, or living our lives, or settling down, it just isn't realistic to drive all day every day anymore. And those who do take it seriously have moved to where all the other drivers are - iRacing. And why shouldn't they? Regular updates, cash prizes, a decently run system, a professional outfit.

I'm sure some people will flame me or whatever, but we're a bit old for that now are we not? Let's say I enjoyed LFS while it lasted, had some of the best times of my life with the people here, all good things come to an end and I'll still pop in from now and then. I, as I am sure many other people, will be back in a flash should S3 come out and there be some regular updates.
Quote from Gabox :But you do know, that in 20 years, 95% of cars manufactured will be pure electric? Why? If something doesn't make sense anymore, it is slowly replaced by a new, and more efficient paradigm. There are pioneers like Tesla, but others will join soon.

Except your comparison is imperfect:

The reason cars will eventually turn to electricity is not because it makes sense as current battery technology is heavy and requires a lot of batteries to provide adequate power. Never mind that batteries do have a finite life span, and do eventually fail to hold a charge.

Cars will eventually turn to being primarily electricity because we will simply run out of fuel. Oil is not a renewable resource (without millions of years of time).

iRacing aren't pioneers. They're just arrogant enough to think that people will pay them monthly for subpar physics. The wiser ones have abandoned iRacing as they've realized how terrible it truly is. Eventually iRacing will be left with a decrepit pit of users, crying every week, saying that "Kaermer will bring us good physics next build!"

And then the next build never comes...
Quote from Gabox :But you do know, that in 20 years, 95% of cars manufactured will be pure electric? Why? If something doesn't make sense anymore, it is slowly replaced by a new, and more efficient paradigm. There are pioneers like Tesla, but others will join soon.

This is pure speculation and doesn't have much in common with computer software. It has been explained like gazillion times that more money does not equal better product or faster development. The devs said so, practical experience from various SW projects supports this claim. iR hasn't invented anything, its just an MMORPG business model applied onto a racing sim.

The devs have never ever suggested that financial difficulties were an issue. If they had, they could have sold the whole product and move on. I imagine that LFS physics engine would still be worth a lot of money.
I even linked the bible of "moar devs !== moar productivity" in this thread!
Quote from MadCatX :This is pure speculation and doesn't have much in common with computer software. It has been explained like gazillion times that more money does not equal better product or faster development. The devs said so, practical experience from various SW projects supports this claim. iR hasn't invented anything, its just an MMORPG business model applied onto a racing sim.

The devs have never ever suggested that financial difficulties were an issue. If they had, they could have sold the whole product and move on. I imagine that LFS physics engine would still be worth a lot of money.

Well, they might not have invented anything, but iRacing was the first one to try bringing that business model into a sim and guess what? It worked. That's why people play iRacing and not because "uber crazy physics" and whatsoever. It's cause you get matchmade with people around your skill level at any time of the day in nearly any car. You also see a curve of advancing while driving those races and you don't just drive laps endlessly without being rewarded if you did well, that attracts a lot of people including me. I stayed in LFS for nearly 10 years counting demo, and I enjoyed it, I would still enjoy it if league races or even public racing (CTRA) would be as rewarding as it was years ago. I'd take LFS' CTRA over iRacing's system any day, too bad it's dead.
This thread is closed

My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG