The online racing simulator
LFS Companion (Alpha)
(387 posts, closed, started )
Excellent update, works very nicely, just run a few races and it does help immerse you in a bit more.

There were a couple of bugs I noticed - not to knock your work, but at this stage I figure bug reports are good, in brief:
    • Have to go all the way up the volume to go down? Almost blew my ears out I think
    • When Shift-F4'ing to it to change volumes, the ui takes a very long time to update. Same after exiting LFS
    • Doesn't save settings, this I think is the biggie.
    • Maybe make the ingame message text colour adjustable?
    Btw I ended up with these volume settings:

Car Sounds: 12
    Radio: 10%
    Backfire: 30%

Very nicely balanced, all I get with the car sounds volume any higher is extra interference and distortion.

Will be nice when there is a couple of radio profiles to choose from, and if you get the time to tweak the backfire part a bit Very nice work though, thanks.
    Quote :I switch outgage realy to active and put 29999 in the relay line....guess im too dumb for this

Your not dumb, something isn't working right and i'm not clever enough to figure out what illepall, perhaps a fresh LFS download to a new folder might be worth a try? I dont think it could be a firewall issue, it's very strange that it does this.

Does the outbound insim relay detect when you fire up pit spotter? It should automatically fill that one and is a sign that the relay configuration is all ok, assuming the radio/backfire mods also work then the program configuration is ok, I dont know what else might be wrong :/

Quote :For the moment, i miss a config-file or an auto-save for my InSim and OutGauge Relays.

Its one of my top priorities, right after taking a short break.

Quote :Maybe make the ingame message text colour adjustable?

It wouldn't be true narcisism if it didn't match my player name !

Quote :When Shift-F4'ing to it to change volumes, the ui takes a very long time to update. Same after exiting LFS

I'm not sure how to fix that, i'll have a think about it. It would be nice if it didn't loose the graphics display, but I think i'm being booted off the graphics card by windows. There is a test in indi-gaming circles called the Alt-Tab test, and I always fail it because i've never really looked into it, it's basically to do with Windows reserving the graphics ram to another application, or something like that anyway.

Quote :Randomly when i was in 6th it would say I was in 9th

It probably was reporting the radio for the wrong car, a 'quick fix' for this is to tab then shift-tab back again on a straight - but I will soon allow you to type your LFS name into the radio mod config and it'll play radio messages for that car regardless of the camera focus which is a much better solution.

Currently I think it might be bugged for the car in pole position, not sure yet.

Also it cannot report positions on autocross layouts because the information it uses to calculate positions isn't available (it's that path node thing Scawen talk about when people ask for "full Aston" configs).

Quote :Have to go all the way up the volume to go down? Almost blew my ears out I think

I'm glad you've recovered from the ordeal, I almost faced a court case once for a game that had high volume settings and when you ran it a high pitched tone was played as part of the intro, it allegedly gave a pet a heart attack (the things people will claim!), anyway I was setting up my own volumes earlier and it struck me that the right mouse button would be handy there. Also there's currently no way to remove a relay so I need to fix that in the UI too.
    Quote :I think your talking about the relay for this mod which is 49999 as far as I know soul.

Just to be clear, as I understand it the LFS Companion mod works fine for SOul, the problem is getting the relay to let Pit Spotter work in tandem, right?
    narcisism..now theres a useful word to remeber

Lol @ the potential court case, bit silly. Right mouse button would work well. Would be nice if you could use the scroll wheel when hovering over it to make finer adjustments, if possible.

Couple more things I noticed - when starting a 5 lap race, it runs the "only 5 more laps to go" sample, which sounds a tad silly just before the race starts. Can you catch when its the 1st lap of a race and exclude it from lap announcements?

Some sort of hotkey to disable it for autocross would be nice as well..espically with the popularity of cops & robbers at the min.
    hehe, yes and yes.
    Quote from Rtsbasic :Some sort of hotkey to disable it for autocross would be nice as well..espically with the popularity of cops & robbers at the min.

Would probably be easier to just autodetect and disable if track == autocross.
    Front post massively updated to reflect the programs current state, and includes everything on my to do list.
    Quote :Would probably be easier to just autodetect and disable if track == autocross

I think I will probably detect track and then use lap count & last sector information to calculate positions instead, rather than turn off position reporting - because not knowing your position when banger racing makes it hard to decide whether to bash or race .
    Sounds good. If theres no checkpoints set (e.g. cops & robbers) it just won't say anything?
    Ultimately I think in the case of cops and robbers you would probably hit the numpad key to turn the radio off, I can't think of any messages that would be useful when playing those servers - what that needs is the cops all on team speak.
    About the outgauge-issue:
    MOMOleds runs at port 53551 or something like that (read it up in the configuration file). That means an outgauge-relay to 29999 won't help MOMOleds at all. And pitspotter doesn't use OutGauge at all.
    After switching to the correct port outgauge worked nicely. Great tool.

Vain
    One idea I did have with drifters in mind, which might suite cops and robbers, was when I did the atmospheric sounds to apply an environmental sound to other cars, namely an excessive bass note thumping away just like the ricers who tear up the street setting off car alarms.
    aye 29999 is for Pit Spotter. I'm glad the relay does definately work for momo leds though. I wonder if I can squeeze room in the relay menu for some default configs.
    Really interesting mod!

Have u thought of editing the voiced for making it a bit more like "radio" message?

I mean with the interferences and the usual background sounds of a pit radio message, similar to GTR or NR2003 ones
    It already has the background static and the start and end radio noises. What else would there be?
    Becky - I finally got home and had the chance to try my mp3 versions with your program. It wouldn't recognize them with the .mp3 extension. I renamed them to .wav and they sound very distorted in-game. However; if you listen to them in Media Player they sound perfectly fine. Any ideas?

Also, a little user experience - I've found that the messages that you're battling a car ahead/behind are mostly unnecessary. When the car is a lapped car, or when you're a lap car they're nice, but when you're on the same lap as the other car you generally know it. I've renamed ahposX.wav and behposX.wav which makes it much nicer. You may want to make a separate on/off checkbox for position announcements of cars on the same lap as your car.
    A couple of bugs to report which may or may not be related to the same thing that causes bad sectors to not be reported. I've seen the following:

Messages that I'm in position X when I'm either ahead or behind that postion (ie: it thinks I'm in 6th when I'm in 4th or vice versa). Someone else reported this already, I know.

I got a message that I was on the last lap, right after I'd crossed the finish line and ended the race (in first place).

I got a message that the car ahead had not yet stopped for fuel, but I was running in first place.

I got a message that I was running great (I'm guessing it was a "fast sector" message, but I had just spun out and lost a ton of time not 10 seconds before I got the message.

Other than these little problems, I love it. Once it's polished a bit I'm sure this will be a VERY popular mod.
    Hmm. The download link isn't working in the first post

Great piece of programming, Becky (or how should I yet know )
    Quote :had the chance to try my mp3 versions with your program. It wouldn't recognize them with the .mp3 extension.

It is possible to encode .wav files with a .mp3 codec but still conform to .wav protocols, which is what I had in mind. I will have a look at using raw .mp3 files. I suspect doing so would have a small but visible effect on framerate for some people (1-2 fps).

@Cue-Ball - it sounds to me like you where getting radio messages for the wrong car and the mod had lost track of who the selected player was. I will have to try to improve the auto-selection, and also provide a text field to put your driver name in so you can specify which driver to follow.

Quote :The download link isn't working in the first post

Please try again later.
    Quote :when you're on the same lap as the other car you generally know it.

I think the usefulness of this information may be relative to the length of the race, when I am doing [real] endurance racing this is the most vital bit of information I get, because it means I have to start studying the lines of the other driver to work out a way past.
    Ok, I started recording today, some loops are louder, but I can't do anything about that... my crap microphone . The loops will be much shorter, because I only repeat everything 2 times and I talk very fast.

EDIT: I found a function in Audition, which can put all selected files to selected volume
    where is the link to download this one? the actual one from banshee does not work ...
    The Banshee site is down at the moment due to a server issue, it will be back soon.
    Alright,so i started Companion and then started spotter....Then a message appears in the spotter window,saying:Conecting to [IP adress]:29999........Connect timeout
    Could it be something with the firewall?
    This thread is closed

LFS Companion (Alpha)
    (387 posts, closed, started )
    FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG