The online racing simulator
Is S2 worth buying?
(65 posts, started )
Quote from The Very End :Edit: BMW - True, and it good that we have a actice server. Problem is that variation, you either have Cargame or you have...?

cruise, drift and demo servers :P
Quote from The Very End :Yeah, I should have known better than to belive we actually would have a discussion based upon what's really going on

At least for me if I was going online, I would look for a race server, not a cruise server and so on. But I guess you all are cruisers, and in that case, there are servers to chose from.

Edit: BMW - True, and it good that we have a actice server. Problem is that variation, you either have Cargame or you have...?

Looking at lfsworld and how the licensed racers are spread it's pretty even between race, cruise and drift. If enough people want to race in the manner you describe, why aren't they? The fact is leagues are often well attended, servers in the table are not. The devs do nothing to organise multiplayer, (as far as I know) they haven't "in da glory days" and don't do now. So if you want something, go and do it.

That said, personally I prefer league races than some silly F1 2014 5 lap scramble fest. I think the best of this sim is the league and endurance races. That's where the community and the tension and drama of competition is. I am not a cruiser and never will be but at least they're not on the forum complaining because they've got nobody to cruise with because they haven't got their act together.
LFS should not cost as much as it does, by my standards.

If that doesn't bother you, it is a great fit for modest hardware.
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :
Drifting isn't great in LFS-land. The XRT is the defacto competition car, and it has something like 240bhp. The steering rack can turn the wheels about 36°. To put that into perspective, top level drift cars IRL have 600-1000bhp, and can turn the wheels 48-60°.

As far as I know, LFS is a RACING simulator. Why would a race car (even though XRT isn't a race car, it's a street car) need such steering rack?
Quote from The Very End :You are not adressing my main concern, the pick-up driving.

The original question was "Is S2 worth buying?" and where to find good racing like seen in videos, so I adressed that instead.
The whole pick-up thing came up as a side thing.

To adress your concern:
To be honest it is a bit of an non-issue for me because racing in league/event is as easy as pick-up driving. Really it is.
So the main-advantage of pick-up driving you mention is "it is easier to join", but really leagues are not different there.

Another example how easy it is, on thursday I randomly joined onto some public server.
(it was quite full btw, but that is not the point)
There was chat about some event on friday, so quickly asked what it is about.
Did not know what to expect but it was full server and fun races for whole evening. Very nice. The tracks & cars were randomly, nobody knew what next track would be, that is about as casual and pick-up as it can get!
Point is: I did not even actively look for that, I just stumbled upon it.

It really takes more effort to actively ignore any organized races than to just join them.
If you know how to join a server from serverlist and post on forum, then you already know everything need for it.
Just instead of picking your server from the ingame-browser you pick it from calender, forum or other sources.

And if currently there is no race, then you look what is on next day.
And for this evening you just practice a bit (usually a few people always join for that)
You might see 4 people drive around on server and maybe think "wow boring. Multiplayer is so dead." But you did not know that maybe they were practising for a real race the next day, or even just a few hours later.

Mountaindewzilla:
"The last time I tried to race, there was only one person with a pace similar to mine, and they were a bit faster. It was not a gratifying experience."
Well racing can be hard. Remember the opponents are all humans, there is no "rubberband AI" that slows down for you in the last lap.
Still in league races I usually find drivers my speed and can often finish mid-field in my grid, even with just a little practice. I am many seconds away from WR on all tracks, if I can do it then anyone can.
You are way too biased Gutholz.
Quote from Gutholz :
And if currently there is no race, then you look what is on next day.
And for this evening you just practice a bit (usually a few people always join for that)
You might see 4 people drive around on server and maybe think "wow boring. Multiplayer is so dead." But you did not know that maybe they were practising for a real race the next day, or even just a few hours later.

That's very true, on the deadmen server we run a hour race every Thursday and pick up a fair few people who happen to stumble onto the server when a few of us are running short practice races on a random night.

Same goes for the DM® server who race on a Sunday night, last nights combo xfg at fe11 turned out a grid of 20 cars for a good hours worth of great clean racing.

So yes there is still life in LFS, you just need to look a little harder for it
Quote from The Very End :You are not adressing my main concern, the pick-up driving.

I hear you TVE. We used to have so much choice, that we usually ended missing our friends in server swapping around. Short, sharp pick up races was just so much fun..back then. That is the "key" words, back then. Things have changed.

Although there is still S2 server's these are never used, it's all the demo server's ( won't mention drifting, as I am not a drifter ) or the multiple class of Cargame.

League's are great, like TVE said, if you have the time and are available at that said time and day, which I am not, due to working away commitments.

I have already answered the OP question, but wanted to say, I hear what TVE is saying and he has a valid point. If the S2 "pick up" server's where to be more active, then maybe, S2 would be worth the purchase, but atm, you no better off with just having the demo if you want reg racing online

Fordie
I just got s2 for my bday now I'm at school I'm gonna play it all the weekend
Congrats mate!

Welcome to the S2 World

Enjoy
Quote from misu2048 :I just got s2 for my bday now I'm at school I'm gonna play it all the weekend

Welcome to S2!
and happy B-day :cake:resent:
Enjoy both, your B-Day and S2!
LFS has ramps in it. For jumps.
Quote from Sobis :As far as I know, LFS is a RACING simulator. Why would a race car (even though XRT isn't a race car, it's a street car) need such steering rack?

Your argument is that Scawen should not make changes that would improve the UX for thousands of people because of the subtitle the devs chose.

That's a pretty myopic perspective. Drifting has an international following.
Lfsdrift.net has over 15000 members. Assetto Corsa has drift versions of some cars. People are still putting on drift events in LFS on a regular basis.

It would take Scawen mere minutes to change the maximum steering angle for a couple of cars. Maybe he'd take the additional two minutes to allow street tires on the XRR.

The last thing that LFS needs is a large contingent of people that have an elitist or exclusionary attitude when it comes to (virtual) motorsports. It isn't good for business, it isn't kind to people that want to drift more than they want to race, and it causes pedantic flame wars.

I think Scavier should change the subtitle to "Online Motorsports Simulator".
-
(The_Death_Man) DELETED by Scawen : spam

Is S2 worth buying?
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG