The online racing simulator
New monitor needed, but what?
(37 posts, started )
I concur, used GTX 660 hover around the 100€ area nowadays. That'd have all the power you'd need to run 1080p with very high settings with the rest of your system.
Input lag and tearing only is an issue if you're above the refresh rate of your monitor.

I have to correct myself the typo, I have to U2312HM too not the H and can confirm the slightly lightness on the corners Wiskey mentioned, but really only noticed it in the beginning and forgot about it after a few days. You'd only notice it when looking for it

However, why not egt something really cheap in the meantime until money flows better? What about this? https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=80928

or ebay.

If you wait a bit and g-sync get sorted out, it's definitely something to consider.
Thanks for the replies folks.

I spent more than I wanted to and bought the Dell 2312HM. It's pretty damn nice, and should last me quite a few years. I'm still using my AOC 919LM from 2003 at work, even though it's a 19" TN panel with a response time of about a minute.

Suspect I'll need a new GPU soon, so I'll keep an eye on prices and special offers. Good to have a play with Assetto and Skyrim again though
Sorry for that, but we weren't able to hide the beauty of this monitor xD I'm pretty sure you'll love it as much as we do.

Disclaimer: in case you regret your buy for any unknown reason, blame jazzOn, not me
I can vouch that the U2312HM will prove to be an amazing purchase. I'm using one right now for the past year and other than the bottom-right backlight leaking when it is in full black screen, the colours are quite vibrant and you can dial the brightness all the way down (almost no heat generated) and still find it quite bright!
Quote from Whiskey : blame jazzOn, not me

Thats fine, I don't have feelings anyway. (this smile is just a fassade and the result from years of practise)
A late reply
You are all wrong

The Oculus Rift is the only way to play race sims. I have the Rift Dev Kit. The resolution is terrible. But the sensation of really siting in the car is awesome and no monitor can compete with that. The immersion is just perfect. You are there in 3D. So far LFS has been my best experience on the Rift.
The rift consumer HD version comes out during 2014 and no race sim can do without this hardware miracle.
You will all be buying this soon. Trust me
Quote from kludermor :You are all wrong

The Oculus Rift is the only way to play race sims.
[...]

Yes*. It is the way to go, but Oculus is not yet ready to be considered the main option. And you need a monitor anyway, I don't think the day that you can use confortably the Oculus for browsing folders or internet is anywhere near

Sure. I have already stated that several times in this forum, but as I said above, the dev kit is not appealing to everybody, we have to wait to the "finished" one (Crystal cove or whatever they come up with).
Quote from kludermor :You are all wrong

The Oculus Rift is the only way to play race sims. I have the Rift Dev Kit. The resolution is terrible. But the sensation of really siting in the car is awesome and no monitor can compete with that. The immersion is just perfect. You are there in 3D. So far LFS has been my best experience on the Rift.
The rift consumer HD version comes out during 2014 and no race sim can do without this hardware miracle.

Possibly not http://www.techradar.com/news/ ... oculus-rift-away--1215666

I am just concerned, VR headsets came out years ago, and they crashed and burned, so what's so different this time around?

Fordie
If you're talking about the craptastic 90's VR goggles, they cannot even be compared to the Rift.

Reasons:
  • High resolution display panels available now thanks to mobiles
  • Low input lag and image persistence with OLED technology
  • FOV is wide enough to avoid binoculars feeling
  • Low overall weight of the unit so no fatigue
  • Price will be reasonable due to generally available components
The time is finally ripe for VR, and it WILL happen. No question about it.
I have the Rift DK2, and I have to say, it's a game-changer. The higher resolution means that all of your dials and such are readable, there is almost no image latency now, and I may be a freak, but I can wear one for hours without any ill effects.

Scawen has done an amazing job of getting everything to work seamlessly in VR - it's quite simply the best game conversion available so far. No fiddling with settings and screen configs, no having to use a screen for menus and then back to the rift to race... You set it up once, and it works every time after that. Simply brilliant!

The only problem with it is that while you are completely immersed in the game, you are unable to see your keyboard or other peripherals, which makes it a little hard to communicate with others. I'm slowly finding ways of working around this...

After I had been using it for a few weeks, I decided to play on a screen so that I could be a little more social. I had no idea how difficult it would be - I almost had to re-learn how to drive! I don't think I'll ever go back to playing LFS on a normal screen if I can help it.
Have not been following the VR helmets since some of them are stupid, and other just cost too much... I do not like not being able to see my wheel.

Maybe they already do this, but;

The VR Helmets will need a web cam, built into them, so you can see through them, or a way to flip the monitors away.

VR will need a button on your hand, to quickly and easily flip between, full VR mode, Hybrid/Augmented Reality, and Full Reality.

Hybrid would allow you to see people next to you and still see the action on screen. This would be done by displaying them on top of each other, transparency style, or Picture in Picture.

If they do this and cost less then a high end monitor, I might consider using it.

New monitor needed, but what?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG