The online racing simulator
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You can force cockpit view, but AFAIK that still allows you to enable forces view.

LFS doesn't allow F-mode in forced cockpit server
Quote from Scawen :You mean the shadows of the world objects? The ones that are all spiky and messy? I agree they are a problem but there's no quick solution for that. Really I want to get to the point where the sun can move in the sky and the shadows can move, as part of a changing weather system.

But this is after a tyre physics update. I'm trying to get realistic about the tyre physics update, to make a good solid version that works well and makes LFS cars feel great (because of the force combinations that are mathematically based) with good simulation of tyre load sensitivity but not worry too much about extreme detail as it will never exactly match reality.

yes I mean world object shadows, thx for responding, and wow your plan look very promising for this years, can't wait to see that in game!
Regarding that F-mode... many people claim to use it because FPS is much greater when its is on.
Check this thread for example

for me FPS is like 40-50% better, altough I cannot imagine driving in that stupid view
Some optimisations should be made, because I don't believe rendering cockpit requires so much power, especially since its most time just static
Quote from S.E.T.H :and by the way disable forces view in online racing and hotlapping! it ruins realism.

No. Deal with it. And boys, don't make this thread one of the SETHs thread regarding forces views. When I click it I expect to read new stuff about DX9, not another ****ing post about SETHs issues.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :
Some optimisations should be made, because I don't believe rendering cockpit requires so much power, especially since its most time just static

There is a big difference when you render something in OpenGL2 and OpenGL3 which gives you about 10 % better performance. Lets hope its similiar with DirectX
Quote from S.E.T.H :and by the way disable forces view in online racing and hotlapping! it ruins realism.

sitting behind the computer does too
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :sitting behind the computer does too

there is nothing we can do about it. but scawen can remove forces view altogether. maybe it can be available only in replays to check how the car acts. many people use it most of them claiming they have bad pc, if you have such a bad pc that cant run a sim which is mainly focused on feeling and not graphics, i advice you to pay for a new pc just like you pay for internet. aside, its a lie to justify their usage of it.

you say button clutches, macro? why dont you tell him?
Guys, let's not make this a spinoff of a spinoff. If you feel the need to discuss the problems forces view, do so in this thread.
-
(Neilser) DELETED by Neilser
intresting to see that most people posting in this tread only care about their ability to run programs on either platform.

only very few seem to understand that the main problem for scawen is the crippled or broken functionality that he needs as a developer!

looking forward to the dx9 test patch, so there is finally something new for me after the new 3d functions, which i do not use at this time.

also i support the idea to give up on directx/microsoft dependance and convert lfs to open gl to free it for every platform - lfs on ios anyone? (but not giving up bigger platforms at the same time, so lfs on pc or mac at home and on ios for when you are on the go).

peace, mo
Quote from molocco :looking forward to the dx9 test patch, so there is finally something new for me after the new 3d functions, which i do not use at this time.

I'm curious - what does DX9 offer you?
Quote from CodeLyoko1 ::ices_rofl

what is so funny about the wish to have the best racing simulator on earth also available on the best mobile platform?
or do you like to have a windows mobile (:ices_rofl) version instead?

and i don´t know what the dx9 patch "will bring me" as i do not always want "more" as most of the people do - it is just that i´m looking out for testing that patch for overall functionality and bugs, because doing this and the direct communication with the devs was always one of my favourite parts that made this game so different and special above most other game development.
some people enjoy different things than others - you might like to just play a bugfree game - i like to enjoy finding that bugs, even if they destroy my gaming experience untill they get fixed.

peace, mo
Quote from molocco :what is so funny about the wish to have the best racing simulator on earth also available on the best mobile platform?
or do you like to have a windows mobile (:ices_rofl) version instead?

and i don´t know what the dx9 patch "will bring me" as i do not always want "more" as most of the people do - it is just that i´m looking out for testing that patch for overall functionality and bugs, because doing this and the direct communication with the devs was always one of my favourite parts that made this game so different and special above most other game development.
some people enjoy different things than others - you might like to just play a bugfree game - i like to enjoy finding that bugs, even if they destroy my gaming experience untill they get fixed.

peace, mo

:ices_rofl
LFS on Android anyone?
Shut the **** up and stay ontopic anyone?
Quote from Neilser :I'm curious - what does DX9 offer you?

Some new graphic cards don´t support DX8 anymore

EDIT: Mainly new AMD cards... Nvidia 6XX series supports DX8 correctly... not sure about Nvidia 700 and higier though
Quote from Neilser :I'm curious - what does DX9 offer you?

I'm curious to see if the Xbox 360 controller will have the triggers on different axes without using 3rd party drivers.
Quote from pik_d :I'm curious to see if the Xbox 360 controller will have the triggers on different axes without using 3rd party drivers.

I really don't see how that would be related to the DirectX version? Were just talking about the graphics engine here.
Quote from Jakg :I really don't see how that would be related to the DirectX version? Were just talking about the graphics engine here.

DirectX is more than Direct3D, maybe I missed what Scawen is doing but the 360 controller plays better with Xinput, which was introduced in the XP/DirectX9 era rather than DirectInput which is what DX8 uses exclusively.
has d3d9 had any effect on framerates?
Sorry, but this is just an open IT question......

Why not make LFS software (OS) independent and go with openGL, taking a long term view this would seem to me to be a sensible choice.
It will work with win ???? and it will work with Linux.
Yes, Scrawen is still with XP, which expires in April, but IMHO, openGL has a future........

Just giving my opinion, which, according to my partner, is wrong anyway as it's my opinion

If you have issues with 7 then WTF ??????
Quote from Racer X NZ :Sorry, but this is just an open IT question......

Why not make LFS software (OS) independent and go with openGL, taking a long term view this would seem to me to be a sensible choice.
It will work with win ???? and it will work with Linux.
Yes, Scrawen is still with XP, which expires in April, but IMHO, openGL has a future........

Just giving my opinion, which, according to my partner, is wrong anyway as it's my opinion

If you have issues with 7 then WTF ??????

Because it's not that simple. DirectX provides a lot more than just a graphics library. DirectX provides a pretty well-rounded package for Audio, Video, Input, FFB, and other pieces as well. You can't just "port DX to OpenGL" as you're now missing a variety of pieces.

Unfortunately, on other platforms, there's not really a standardized system to use "the other bits". You can try to use something like SDL, but that doesn't solve all the problems either (still no standardized FFB strategy).

It's very simple to say "Yeah, make LFS use OpenGL" without realizing that they're not comparable or even offer the same feature set.

Nevermind that Scawen may or may not even know the OpenGL API, or that OpenGL drivers on Windows actually are TERRIBLE compared to DirectX. (Maybe that's changed, but it's unlikely).
The recomended way for going multiplatform is to
1) Move to SDL2
2) Move from D3D to OpenGL
3) Sort out any remaining issues

Rewriting everything from WinAPI to SDL2 would be a herculean task.

OpenGL drivers on Windows are fine. id Tech engines used to be OpenGL-only. When Valve were porting Source engine to OpenGL, the OpenGL version outperformed the D3D one even on Windows and that was despite the fact that there is an internal D3D->OpenGL wrapper in the engine.
If that tyre psychics saga is not going to be completed / shutdown / put behind then there is no LFS future to begin with. How many times I now have heard the last years; "after the tyre psychics have been updated", it's becoming uncountable.

Spinoff : DirectX and Windows version discussion
(291 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG