The online racing simulator
Sorry but this is my experience,

7 is just XP with a body kit. If you run 7 prof, and I fail to see any real reason to run any home version, you get to virtualise XP as a built in feature.

XP, as good as it is, was released in 2001. How long ago was that ? 7 really is capable of running any XP program without any issue. PROVIDED you don't want video card support if you really must virtualise. If you really want XP, then why not just dual boot ? While XP is 'not supported' after April next year, what does that really matter ?

While XP only supports DX9c, LFS isn't even there yet. DX11 support is irrelivent.

As someone running an IT company, dealing with old software, etc, keep a good eye on Valve's work, that is really looking promising.

Running Windoze programs on Linux with a modicum of porting, no need to pay for an OS as it's opensource, that, IMHO is the future.

Forget Xbox, PS4, look at a cheap pc setup that dualboots, so you can still run Win 8, as we all know how 'great' that is........

And, FYI, the same box will still boot to XP.

Feel free to flame away but let's look back at what I'm saying in a couple of years, and see what's happening then.
Quote from Racer X NZ :Sorry but this is my experience,

XP, as good as it is, was released in 2001.

XP is by far the best Windows for 32bit PC´s. However, if you have 64bit machine you should go for Win7 because it has better memory management and proper 64bit support.
Quote from Impreza WRX :Apple sells entire solutions. Its a lot easier to keep the money flowing on a forced upgrade path. Microsoft has several years (3-5) between milestone changes of Windows, and backwards compatibility hardware-wise to a great degree. MacOS? Nope. Every generation of Apple device brings about changes that can't be backported to older hardware, not easily, and with a yearly release cycle, you have to spend a ton of money to keep things rolling.

Isn't this pretty much what I said? Apple doesn't have huge industries and corporations demanding that their 15+ year old software works with new computers and Windows pushing them to maintain backwards compatibility, so they can redesign and innovate.

Quote from Impreza WRX :
Have you tried GNOME3 or Ubuntu's Unity interface? It's the same storm of grief and rage from users of the most popular desktop and distro of Linux, but a year before Windows 8 came along.

I believe that the initial distaste for Unity goes on account of its slowness and numerous bugs, GNOME Shell had similar problems (to less extent) plus many people dislike the continuous dumbing down of the configuration options ("yes, of course you can change that... if you know JavaScript and rewrite that yourself...") I'm not sure about Unity, but GNOME Shell's mouse gestures oriented controls seem like an awkward thing to use on laptop. On desktop with a proper mouse I kinda like it though...
Quote from Impreza WRX :
Have you tried GNOME3 or Ubuntu's Unity interface? It's the same storm of grief and rage from users of the most popular desktop and distro of Linux, but a year before Windows 8 came along. Also, MacOSX has a similar launching panel now, but it feels stiched-in like an afterthought. The end of the Start menu will still happen, and many nay sayers have not even tried to actually use the new menu design and set it up in a way that would be efficient for them. They try it for 5 minutes, go "WHAR IS MENU?!! >" and give up with a table flip, instead of looking at the simple instructions.

I liked the idea of Unity but for a one stop centre that you were to access all your stuff from, it wasn't actually very comprehensive in it's searches. Plus once they stuck the amazon spyware in, it was bye bye from me. I now use xubuntu with a piece of software installed called "synapse" which does what unity aimed to do, properly and doesn't by default send my search entries to amazon.
Here's the problem. It's a change. People get frustrated and irritated at change, no matter how small.

Here's an example of a little change that causes big confusion. A long time ago, my mother needed to move my Civic in the driveway to make way for her Element. The Civic is an automatic, and has a shifter like this:

Her Element has a shifter like this:

Both cars have a 4-speed automatic, a unique Honda design. There is no difference other than age and holding power. However, the Element uses the same shifter as the CR-V, which is unique in having a more "AMERICAN!!!" Overdrive button type shifter, with P R N D 2 1 as shift options. The Civic uses the Honda unique "every gear selectable" automatic shifter, with P R N D4 D3 2 1 (2 actually locks 2nd gear in all Hondas).

After moving my car, she wakes me up and says "Drive 1,2,3, and 4? Which one do I use?!" I am not kidding.

ANY change made to anything, no matter how small, will make someone somewhere table flip. Don't hold yourself back on an absurd level of backward compatibility.
In my country, using automatic shifter is a sign of weakness

Yes, people will always have trouble with getting used to changes and it gets worse as they are older(including us!). But technology is advancing fast nowdays so we just have to adapt to survive... And DX9 will be crucial to survive arrival of new GPUs because not all of them will have DX8 support
Quote from Bigbob1993 :In my country, using automatic shifter is a sign of weakness ...

My current car is Auto only because my last good job was a job that eats clutches on manual cars. And I had one. I like driving 5 speed, but I had to get automatic. :/
Quote from Scawen :Sorry to upset you but it is fictional that you need continual updates from Microsoft for your XP computer to continue to operate. I switched off the updates years ago, I do not install anti-virus software and never got a virus. It's quite simple, don't install viruses or run an exe without being sure that it is safe and you'll be fine. I do use zonealarm on my XP computers - an old version which was still usable unlike the recent versions. That's good because it lets you control which programs connect to the internet.

I still using Windows XP. I am happy to read about. I am using avast internet security - but ill look for zone-alarm.

I use Outlook Express. Only Microsoft Outlook is a good alternative for Outlook Express. Windows Live Mail is no alternative because its databaseless. I watch how to use Outlook 2k as alternative. I installed Office2K in a Windows 8 system. You have to move common Files to a folder without a ( in Foldername and change some registry entries for using Spell check.... But it contains the last excel with the faster algorithm. Windows XP FTW

Some of our Computers are Windows 8.1 and some Windows 7. And if i buy new hardware, Windows XP will be History also by me. I hope LFS will run in Windows XP some years after microsoft stopped support.

But what make Zone-Alarm when a trojan horse do drive by uploads and drive by downloads? I was infected by a banking trojan horse and a trojan horse which was stealing my email accounts. Its not possible to have a safe computer. No computer in the world is safe, but your computer is maybe a open door, because zone alarm can do nothing against a good virus. The hackers use software which not blocked by a firewall. They use Google Earth, Mozilla Firefox, Internet-Explorer, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Java........ The hackers can occupy your Computer with a simple PDF File.

I dont need the new tyre physics, because i think the physics are good enough. I drive at time only single player, and i also think Tracks are enough, because i drive at time only in WE International with BF1. I cant make the world best hotlap and drive ca. 15 min/day.

3D Great Idea, but i dont know what graphic hardware i need for it.....
Since the dawn of time . Relax, I wasn´t serious
Scawen said he wasn't sure how many LFS users were still on XP.
I guess this means that the connection to the master server doesn't transfer any useful info of this kind - but perhaps it should?

I think most users play online at least sometimes - the AIs are too awful to be fun, and even hotlappers probably upload laps now and then, which could also (maybe already do?) have a field inside to record the OS version.

The master server and hotlap scans could then record data for a few months and we'd know which users are on which OS versions (some will use multiple no doubt).

This is not a tweak I'd want to see holding up the tyre physics, obviously!, but would help to guide the decision about moving on from XP.
(Btw, I still use XP myself )
People don´t mind if their personal data are sent to server (hotlaps ) so everybody should be ok withsending info on their Windows version.... or Linux/MacOSX because there are players using WINE to play LFS on other platforms.
Quote from Bigbob1993 :People don´t mind if their personal data are sent to server (hotlaps ) so everybody should be ok withsending info on their Windows version.... or Linux/MacOSX because there are players using WINE to play LFS on other platforms.

LFS with WINE 25 FPS and with Windows 130 FPS.... Dont know how the dx to openGL works. Maybe with new hardware is it possible, but i tested it with a original Nvidia Driver inatalled on linux mint.... Only openGL works in Linux good.
From what I know WINE is translating DirectX to OpenGL at runtime so thats why there is a performance drop. Remember that DirectX was meant to be Windows only (and Xbox? not sure).
Quote from Bigbob1993 :DirectX was meant to be Windows only (and Xbox? not sure).

Yep, that's what the 'X'box stands for
DX9 almost here?
Quote from Bigbob1993 :Okay?

Considering the twitter account was created after that quote was stated. Also the LFSRacing twitter account has a follow button on the main LFS.net page.
So its legit?
Looks like the account of mother-in-law but seriously, the search for news and tracking everything is crazy.

Twitter
Quote from cargame.nl :Looks like the account of mother-in-law but seriously, the search for news and tracking everything is crazy.

Twitter

How droll of us to look to the official LFS Twitter for information.
It will be good if he tell us when DX9 test patch is coming like tonight, tomorrow,... , because I can't stop refreshing lfsforum today and I have other things to do.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :It will be good if he tell us when DX9 test patch is coming like tonight, tomorrow,... , because I can't stop refreshing lfsforum today and I have other things to do.

Nothing will change visually anyway, so why all the fuss

Spinoff : DirectX and Windows version discussion
(291 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG