The online racing simulator
LFS as Opensource?
(21 posts, started )
#1 - nka
LFS as Opensource?
I've tried to search a bit about that, I would like to see "LFS" regain life.

Do you think releasing LFS as an opensource would help? Maybe yes. Some could also move this game to a better graphique engine, with more cars (not only modded cars that are already there).

I see a lot of potential in this game, but kinda "frozen". Could still have the Official LFS version with some more options, but also the community version, opensource, that would help dev the game?

Just saying!
no, LFS isn't for opensource because it doesn't make it any better
#3 - nka
Just notice it's my first post on this forum... hehe

Why do you think Opensource wont help the game?
because then we will have a bunch of shotty mods like rTractor
#5 - nka
none is forcing you to use the shitty mods. I'm pretty sure most of the mods will be shit, but some will be great addons.
Quote from nka :none is forcing you to use the shitty mods. I'm pretty sure most of the mods will be shit, but some will be great addons.

It is not about the mods or addons, it is about the game itself is far away of complete

EDIT: yes I know you mean to help the game, but believe me, only option is simply as how developers sees the game development right
No one in the LFS community has the skill, knowledge and time (most important) to even advance LFS if it was open source. Scawen has reiterated continually that he wants to build LFS at his own pace (and that's what he is doing).

If Scawen did go off his rocker and opensource LFS, it would spell the end of LFS. Cheating would become even more rampant, we'd have a billion incompatible forks and fundementally still have the exact same game that we have now.

Scawen has spent the last 10+ years of his life learning tyre physics and various other things about car dynamics and even longer just knowing how to write C++. It would take even a good team of programmers working full time several months to make something simple. It would take YEARS for a good team of programmers to make any significant changes to LFS, and no one is actually working full time on LFS as it is, nevermind a group of volunteers (with jobs, non-girlfriends, etc).

Open Source is not a magic bullet to success, especially on a long running project.
#8 - nka
Yeah... didnt see that this way!

Guess I'll wait for S3 !

no sense in having more than one open source racing simulator!!!!!!1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TORCS

the graphics are done, the physics are .. physics! needs a little net code. all the people who are sure they could make LFS better if it was open source can make something better than LFS using TORCS.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :no sense in having more than one open source racing simulator!!!!!!1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TORCS

the graphics are done, the physics are .. physics! needs a little net code. all the people who are sure they could make LFS better if it was open source can make something better than LFS using TORCS.

Maybe TORCS success (or lack thereof as the case may be) would be an excellent example on why open source LFS is a bad idea.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Maybe TORCS success (or lack thereof as the case may be) would be an excellent example on why open source LFS is a bad idea.

then again the underlying issue may be advertising and newness
i never even heard of the project until just now
#12 - nka
Quote from Shotglass :then again the underlying issue may be advertising and newness

Same here... hehe

But, open-source is just that people can see the source. Dosent mean that anyone will fork hes own version of the game ! LFS will still be LFS, people will be able to see the code, make (offline?) test and suggest them.
Quote from Shotglass :then again the underlying issue may be advertising and newness

I've heard about it just when the project started. The thing is, I don't see much changes in the state of the game as of now, compared to 10 years ago.
Quote from Kristi :The thing is, I don't see much changes in the state of the game as of now, compared to 10 years ago.

then again how is that any different from lfs?
The initial state of the game is pretty much worse than Live For Speed's :P
Quote from nka :I've tried to search a bit about that, I would like to see "LFS" regain life.

Do you think releasing LFS as an opensource would help? Maybe yes. Some could also move this game to a better graphique engine, with more cars (not only modded cars that are already there).

I see a lot of potential in this game, but kinda "frozen". Could still have the Official LFS version with some more options, but also the community version, opensource, that would help dev the game?

Just saying!

Why don't you set up your own open source sim instead of coming on this forum having absolutely no knowledge about how the developers want to work on LFS?

Just saying!
#17 - CSU1
...to be open source this community first needs to prove that a dev structure is already in place, up to speed & ready to assume development roles...of which there are none.

Quote from CSU1 :...to be open source this community first needs to prove that a dev structure is already in place, up to speed & ready to assume development roles...of which there are none.

What do you mean, we're all developers with 10 years of experience with tyre physics and overall car dynamics. Also we are masters of C++ with 160 hours a week of free time. Just waiting for the right time to showcase our unique set of skills.

/s
#19 - CSU1
Quote from dawesdust_12 :What do you mean, we're all developers with 10 years of experience with tyre physics and overall car dynamics. Also we are masters of C++ with 160 hours a week of free time. Just waiting for the right time to showcase our unique set of skills.

/s

...sarcastic bastard, whats next ey?

aaaanyway - I doubt anyone here is even worthy of entry into the basic of open-source projects for **** all caring about shit and shit.

E; noone cares (is what i was trying to say)
That's the most unique and creative version of saying "none cares" I've ever seen in my life.
One of you know it all whiners should convert lfs cars and tracks to torcs and make a wet environment. And it has to have perfect physics. Then lets see how awesome open source would be

LFS as Opensource?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG