The online racing simulator
Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :Do you have evidence of that? Because usually when parked off road or in a garage the premium comes down because insurance only covers you when on a public road - on private property it comes off the property insurance. This is why you see so many "At your own risk" signs about in car parks and what-not.

I've never had a car park crash myself but I did have a guy have a go at me once whilst turning around and reversing the back of my car onto his drive, he came running out and started ranting about some bloke who crashed into his wall 6 months earlier doing a similar thing and who then claimed on his house insurance which put his premiums up.

People are ****s.

You seem to be applying logic to an insurance company!

Although you would expect it to get cheaper - it doesn't when I've tried changing the details (and when I've heard of other people trying the same thing). Insurers claim lots of incidents occur involving the car getting scratched in the garage or crashing into things - but who knows.

I think more likely is that if you've gone to the effort of getting a garage, and preparing to park your car in it (sadly most garages in the UK are too full of crap to park a car in), you'll use it even if it costs you slightly more on the insurance... so they'll take all the money they can get off you.
Quote from e2mustang :good example me,being 28(first insurance in uk tho) it didnt matter what car i got or what occupation i entered(i entered mechanic at the end and it went down a bit,which is wierd) all it mattered is the adress,and 10 month policy isntead of 12. the end result is 1600 gbp on a 2002 325i

Thats good going - I saved £100 just changing my occupation from "customer advisor" to "non-travelling salesman" when I was at PC World. I've heard "mechanic" is supposed to be very expensive as well
Quote from Mustafur :Yeah but its insurance, they dont have to know that stuff.

Insurers ask for lots of information (arguably far more than they need). You usually can't "not tell them" something (as a pose to just lieing about it)
I got two quotes, £836.53 and £876.35 annually. I said that I had a uk provisional licence...silly question but will I have to re-apply for car insurance once I get my full UK licence or will the cost still be at £836.53 once I get the full licence?
Change for full license, goes up by quite a bit i believe!
Quote from Jakg :
I saved £100 just changing my occupation from "customer advisor" to "non-travelling salesman" when I was at PC World. I've heard "mechanic" is supposed to be very expensive as wellit)

This is a useful tool: http://www.moneysavingexpert.c ... car-insurance-job-picker/

Put in your occupation, and it'll give you a list of similar occupations which incur a smaller premium.
Quote from eddy678 :I got two quotes, £836.53 and £876.35 annually. I said that I had a uk provisional licence...silly question but will I have to re-apply for car insurance once I get my full UK licence or will the cost still be at £836.53 once I get the full licence?

It will go up Eddy, it's cheaper to insure a car on provisional licence as you have too have a responsible/experienced driver sat next too you when you're learning, once you get a full licence you're on your own in the car. You don't have to reapply as such but you will have to tell them you've passed and they will then "adjust" your premium to suit.

Best thing to do is go on an insurance comparison site and put down that you have just passed your test, you'll soon see the difference
Quote from eddy678 :I got two quotes, £836.53 and £876.35 annually. I said that I had a uk provisional licence...silly question but will I have to re-apply for car insurance once I get my full UK licence or will the cost still be at £836.53 once I get the full licence?

My insurance doubled (difference of £1k) when I passed.
Quote from Jakg :My insurance doubled (difference of £1k) when I passed.

Which is so amusing. When I "complete" my licence (I've been able to for like 3 years, but don't care as the restrictions are irrelevant to me), my insurance will go down as I'm no longer a "Novice" driver. It'll also go down as I'll have 5 years of driving under my belt (without an accident!).
I now realize why it was cheap i put provisional license too.

Here a provisional license is what you get when you pass your driving test, your then on a 2 stage restricted license for the next 3 years in which you can drive by your self but your not allowed Turbocharged or cars with over 8 cylinders(as they don't want you driving fast cars), but its retarded as rich kids can easily get a Lotus which meets the rules.
Gotta love Western Australia.

Can drive whatever you want on your P's, Radar detectors are legal...

Love this state.
Whats better than doing 200 down a freeway?

having your radar detector go off and not get caught.
I thought it was getting your dick sucked at 200.

That's pretty epic.
Getting your dick sucked at 200 will end in a crash.

.....Now we know how paul walker died. I thought that hair was a little too purdy for a straight man
Radar detectors are for pussies. Do 200 with cops chasing you, now that's badass.

Or not.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Radar detectors are for pussies. Do 200 with cops chasing you, now that's badass.

Or not.

It's more badass when you do a jump at 200.

With cops chasing you.

While your dick gets sucked.

In a Ute.
You won.
Quote from klutch :getting your dick sucked at 200 will end in a crash.

.....now we know how paul walker died. I thought that hair was a little too purdy for a straight man

oh no!
Quote from Jakg :I think more likely is that if you've gone to the effort of getting a garage, and preparing to park your car in it (sadly most garages in the UK are too full of crap to park a car in), you'll use it even if it costs you slightly more on the insurance... so they'll take all the money they can get off you.

I'm about to buy a house with a garage but I'll never park my car in it.

I have a TT which is a small car, but it's 3 door so there is no pillar which means the doors open wider than the jaw of a teenager being asked a maths question. So like all British homes built with a garage after the 60's there is 0 possibility of me ever being able to open the doors.
Quote from Becky Rose :My first car was a Fiat 126 which was swapped for a microwave.

My first accident was a week later.

You crashed the microwave? I didn't think 800W could get you moving fast enough? :P

Quote from Racer Y :Yeah, that....
LOL I remember my "first" car. A 1974 Buick Electra with power everything. It was as big as the UK.

HAH! Though, American's slightly underestimate the size of the UK.

Quote from Mustafur :...then on a 2 stage restricted license for the next 3 years in which you can drive by your self but your not allowed Turbocharged or cars with over 8 cylinders(as they don't want you driving fast cars)

8 cylinders for noobs? I live on the wrong side of the world.
Nope, you're just on the wrong side of the pond. Get your permit at 15/16 (depending on your state). Hop in mom/dad's Gallardo with one of them in the passenger seat. Get full license at 16/17. Go solo in the Gallardo.

Insurance cost is probably comparable to a Fiesta in the UK.
Do the same as I am going to do in July, when i get my license: drive moms VW Golf MK 5 55kw...

Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG