The online racing simulator
Race Strategies
(4 posts, started )
Race Strategies
Well, I've joined a league and need some input before going in. I will be racing in the XRR and all the races are 100mi/160km long. Some questions:

Quali setup vs Race Setup - basically I'll be using WR setups from team inferno, I know these setups are mostly designed for hotlapping/qualifying, and from what I can tell the inside of the fronts are pretty red after just a few laps (KY GP Long). What changes do people make from their qualifying setup to the race setup as far as the setup and even driving style? Are the softest tires usually the best choice for a race this distance (estimating only 1 stop )?

Pit Stop length - can I tell my crew not to repair damage if it's just a few scapes and bruises to make a shorter stop?

Splits to next/prev car - is there an easy way to tell the time differential between the guy in front of you and behind you? I'd like to know if I'm gaining on the guy in front, or if the guy behind is gaining on me!

And any other tips on these types of races would be great! The longest race I've ever driven is only 10 laps, so this will be a little different (and fun!!).

Thanks!
from qualy to race, all you reall need to do, is use tougher tires, no need for R4's, but R3's should do the trick, and make the camber more positive, so the car isn't riding on the inside most area of the tires down straights

as for pit stops, there is currently no option to not fix damage

as for splits, just make sure you dont have any F9 or F10 or whatever open, and you can see how far ahead or behind you are from everyone else.. is the only way
#3 - bbman
Tires: I found that most of the time, adding pressure and reducing negative camber does the trick... You'll have to have a smooth driving style though...

Pitstop: Nope, but choose the amount of fuel and the tyre wear-value (after which the tires are being changed) wisely, you can loose so much time especially in the GTRs with wrong values...

Splits: As XCNuse said...

And for some other advice: Race your own pace, NEVER EVER try to keep up with faster guys or catch them when you fell back... You WILL make matters worse... Consistency is the key...
Quote :Quali setup vs Race Setup - basically I'll be using WR setups from team inferno

Find one setup you like and adjust downforce and gear ratios at each track, this will help you to be more consistent and learn the ropes quicker.

Quote :I know these setups are mostly designed for hotlapping/qualifying, and from what I can tell the inside of the fronts are pretty red after just a few laps

This is normal for a team inferno setup, you'll need to adjust the tyre pressures to make the tyres last, but you're better off getting a race setup from somebody and using that as a base, inferno setups tend to be very edgy and unstable and that isn't good for a long run.

Quote :Splits to next/prev car - is there an easy way to tell the time differential between the guy in front of you and behind you?

Currently you only get this information from LFS' own split time reports which do not stay on screen very long, however I plan to add a feature which you may appreciate to a mod i'm working on which tells you if you are gaining on the cars around you.

Quote :And any other tips on these types of races would be great! The longest race I've ever driven is only 10 laps, so this will be a little different

It depends how seriously you want to take it, for my league races I tend to do at least 1 full distance run, and several hundred laps practice for each event. Mostly this is because I am new to every track that gets used (although i'm getting to the point now where I pretty much know most of LFS' tracks). You can learn a lot from full distance runs, but the biggest tip of all is to enjoy the racing, and doing full length runs by yourself is not always that much fun.

Race Strategies
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG