The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :I'm laughing about that for some reason! Maybe time to stop for the night!

Looking in the code, I can see that bug taking place if your computer is not able to create and use a render target texture of size 2176 x 1088 pixels.

Easy to fix anyway. Thanks.

Check this thread please
Its same laptop, so maybe a bit related...

EDIT: when running ingame server on E7, window name is same as in dedicated host "HostName - 0.6E7" (not sure if you wanned to apply that also to clients?)
Quote from Scawen :I know you used nvidia 3D vision before there was any stereoscopic support in LFS. Are you using the LFS system at all now or still doing it the old way, with 2D selected in LFS? I'm asking because I don't know if it's possible for the nvidia system to use side by side 3D output and turn that into a shuttered 3D image.

If you are still doing it in 2D mode then I have no idea how to swap eyes, because there is no concept of a left or right eye in 2D mode. That sounds like a bad bug in the nvidia software. Does is make any difference if vertical sync is switched on or off in LFS?

Yes I'm doing it in 2D mode. I am also not using the LFS system.

The reason for the eyes upside down thing is I am using a hacked EDID for my projector so Windows thinks it is a supported 3D Projector. All the 3D movie players and quite a few games allow you to swap left/right eyes, which fixes the problem.

Have you thought about getting Nvidia 3d Vision certified? I can lend you a spare 3D vision kit if you want to do some testing.
Quote from just2fast :I thought i have tested it also with the Rift as the only display, but i will check it again when I´m at home tonight.

Ok, I tested again. This time i completely switched to the Rift as single monitor, but the result is the same. With a resolution of 1680x1050 in lfs the output on the Rifts display differs from 1280x800 (maybe some 5-10%)!
It must have to do with the hardware, because as I understood the downsampling happens in the Rift box

Quote from Scawen :
I'm interested in trying something though, an option to render each eye twice as big to an intermediate square texture which would then be halved in size when transferred to the current render texture, using the bilinear filtering to perform antialiasing (4 texels to 1).

I´m curious for this results, too
Quote from just2fast :Some thoughts regarding 1280x800 vs. 1680x1050.
While the native resolution feels fine, with 1680x1050 there is noticeable eye strain!
That means even if the radio of both resolutions is the same (1,6), it displays different on the Rift.

I did a test.
I chose 1280x800 and sat in the BMW Sauber F1 looking with my head pointing directly on the steering wheel (BMW logo).
Then i rolled my eyes to the left and the right (head keeps still pointed forward). In this way i could see a some part of the mirrors.

Then i chose 1680x105 and did the same. However with this resolution i could see both mirrors completely!
I also had the feeling the picture is slightly squeezed horizontal.
Conclusion: be very careful choosing an other resolution then the Rifts native one!

So in a nutshell my best practises with the rift and lfs are:
- Set up a profile with correct IPD value in the Oculus config Utility and mark it as default.
- Setting the vertical field of view to somewhat between 110°-116° (I´ve choosen 112°)
- Use the Rifts native screen resolution of 1280x800
- Show the virtual driver and steering wheel
- Move driver in x,y,z direction until your head-position matches with your virtual body
- Set the option for moving view with animation to NO (hey, we have real headtracking now!)
- View accelaration option of headmovement: DEFINITELY(!) set the value of the angular headmovement to ZERO (0°/g)!Else the shaking of the view in VR makes you crazy!
- View accelaration options of horizontal, vertical and forward directions: Can be chosen to personal preference, but if too high you feel like a fat guy wobbling in the car

That´s it, with these setting i had a wonderful experience so far, despite the low resolution. For me racing is much more fun now and I love the subtle details:
Intuitively looking over the shoulder, looking into the corners, seeing the lifesize tyres left and right in front of you (I want to touch them and feel the heat), the desire to lean outside/inside the car and have a closer look at everything (even it´s not possible yet)
I barely can imagine what a consumer version with higer resolution and positional tracking will bring.

Thanks for the recommendations. I just went to give them a try, and it turns out that I had naturally set things up almost identically myself (to the point of even using exactly 112 FOV!). The only difference I had in my settings was that I was still using my monitor resolution (1600x900) and I hadn't actually noticed any eyestrain. I might try to do some more tests, but it's interesting that we came to almost identical settings independently.

I also 100% agree that the experience in LFS is fantastic and one of the best I've had in the rift to date. It's been a while since I've driven it much, so I may be imagining it, but I'm finding I'm able to control the car far better when playing with the rift. I'm wondering if you are able to more easily perceive the moment when the cars starts sliding? Maybe it's placebo, or just that I've been using other simulators that feel far less natural for catching slides, but it definitely feels way easier to control the cars than I remember it being previously!
-
(Dmitry[RUS]) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Quote from just2fast :Ok, I tested again. This time i completely switched to the Rift as single monitor, but the result is the same. With a resolution of 1680x1050 in lfs the output on the Rifts display differs from 1280x800 (maybe some 5-10%)!

Maybe your video card is performing underscan or overscan on the output at one of the resolutions? Could be worth looking in your graphics card control panel.

Edit: I get the same weirdness at 1680x1050. Needed to cross my eyes a bit and felt nausea as soon as the car started moving. It's fine at 1920x1200 and 1280x800.
Quote from Strien :... it definitely feels way easier to control the cars than I remember it being previously!

This is what i was thinking too. I just wasn´t sure if its a delusion or not, because I didn´t play lfs for 3 years now (and before that I didn´t play that much, too)
Anyway yesterday i was able to compete on profi-level with the AI drivers, which the last time i can remember was very hard for me.

btw.. Did I mention that I LOVE play lfs in VR?
I was just thinking how cool would be to implement some more stuff about Oculus rift, now when its supported. First thought was when you look like left-up to automaticly enable chat history, which would be cool IMO. No need to press key anymore, you just look at the direction of chat and bang its all there After that though about several other things like when you look to the right to show connections to server, when you look down to show tyre temperatures and stuff (F9). And then I realised every other person would like to adopt it by their needs, different than others which complicates thing a lot. So why not to allow us to read Oculus rift output over InSim? Its probably easiest way for you and yet best for us
Quote from jasonmatthews :Yes I'm doing it in 2D mode. I am also not using the LFS system.

The reason for the eyes upside down thing is I am using a hacked EDID for my projector so Windows thinks it is a supported 3D Projector. All the 3D movie players and quite a few games allow you to swap left/right eyes, which fixes the problem.

Have you thought about getting Nvidia 3d Vision certified? I can lend you a spare 3D vision kit if you want to do some testing.

I just found a setting in nvidia inspector to swap eyes, will try it later.
Quote from jasonmatthews :I just found a setting in nvidia inspector to swap eyes, will try it later.

I hope that works! I did read up a bit after your post and was wondering about it. It did seem like a 5 minute fix for nvidia to add a swap eyes button, although apparently this was not available. I can't say how long it would take me to integrate LFS with nvidia's SDK and for all I know, it might needs DX9 and quite likely it doesn't compile in my compiler, so I wouldn't like to start down that path when I'm finding the stuff I'm on confusing enough!

Currently working on the 3D version of the 2D interface, it's requiring a lot of code rearranging and I'm dealing with the can of worms that results from the rearrangement.
About interleaved rendering...

How about stencil buffer test? If you don't use it for anything else, you could probably draw interleaved lines 0/1 into stencil and then render two times whole screen with inverted stencil test.

I'm not sure how much it would hurt performance, but as LFS performs ok on older hw, and anyone wanting 3D picture has probably better, it may work.

But I'm just making this up from theory, I didn't code any 3D for years (10+ already?), so I may be horribly wrong...
Rift support works like a charm
Thanks, I hope you will like the next patch - the menus and HUD will be much bigger and you should be able to read it easily by looking around it. It will not be curved around you, just flat like a big piece of glass in front of you with the HUD and menu projected on it. I know curved around might be nice but there are too many technical difficulties with that for now.

I guess most in game views are reasonable now, because looking around works. I am wondering what the TV camera views are like as an experience. I can't allow looking around to change that view. The direction is set by the cameras following cars. All that zooming in and out and changing direction... is it quite mad and crazy? Or is it actually not too bad? I'm still considering putting the TV view on a virtual screen in front of you (like being in a cinema).
Sounds reasonable. That way justify its name.
I take my rift off when the tv camera view comes on, lack of head tracking makes it uncomfortable for me. I think the virtual screen would be easier to deal with.
Hmm, this version of LFS crashes when used with SoftTH :-(
Hi Peter, thanks for the report but please could you try to give as much information as possible about that?

When does it happen? For example, immediately as LFS is started, or when you select a wide screen mode, or when you enter the game? Can you make the crash happen 100% of times you try, or does it happen randomly for no apparent reason?

If possible can you provide a crash address or offset? Windows can often provides one when you ask for "more info" or something like that, in the dialog that tells you something has gone wrong. The crash address would look something like this : 0x00456fe4 and sometimes there is an "exception code" as well. The crash address sometimes leads me to the exact line of the problem.
It happens randomly, but does not take very long (within 10 seconds of leaving pits, for example) regardless of the 3D settings. Here's the crash info from Event Log. I realise this may be an issue with SoftTH or the D3D8 to D3D9 wrapper, rather than LFS. There is no crash with 0.6E.

Faulting application name: LFS_6E7.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52813c0c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x45452134
Faulting process id: 0xdcc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee2fb6b959fd5
Faulting application path: C:\LFS\LFS_6E7.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: ee8298f2-4eee-11e3-b931-00106052c624

Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: LFS_6E7.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 52813c0c
P4: StackHash_498f
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 45452134
P9:
P10:
Thanks... unfortunately that crash address isn't one that will help, because it's outside of LFS. It could still be a function called by LFS though. I'll make sure I run LFS in the debug version of Direct X.

One more disadvantage of Windows 7 - it seems to be impossible to run a debug version of DX8 or DX9. If I am wrong about that I would love to know. From google I've only found out how you can use debug mode in DX10 or DX11. So now to get a debug output, I have to run a separate XP computer and do remote debugging on it. So what that really means is I only do that occasionally and I'm not constantly running in a debug version. And this will still be the situation even when LFS moves to DX9.
If your Win7 PC config allows you, maybe it would be easier running a XP VM ?

LE: and directly to your question, maybe this could be a solution ? (don't really code 3d applications myself).
-
(GT4_PL) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Quote from Scawen :...And this will still be the situation even when LFS moves to DX9.

Scawen, is there a chance to implement chromatic aberration correction with DX8?
upgrade to dx 10 then.. problem solved.
Quote from just2fast :Scawen, is there a chance to implement chromatic aberration correction with DX8?

I don't think so, because I think that needs a DX9 pixel shader. I am still considering DX9 though.

Quote from R3DMAN :upgrade to dx 10 then.. problem solved.

Not a possibilty because LFS must still work on XP and I will not budge on this point. Millions of people use XP and it's a perfectly good operating system, still the best in many ways. I don't have to be part of Microsoft's efforts to move everyone off it. They are only doing that to try and screw more money out of existing customers.
Hi Scawen, i think you need some motivation for working/finishing the "3D stuff". Read this :
Quote from halfshay :Holy Crap, this integration feels a lot better then iracing. I keep my resolution to 1920x1080. Way less screen door

(posted on the Oculus forum lfs thread)
Hi, I already saw that because I subscribed to that thread.

I'm pleased that LFS seems to work well with the Rift and it is being received well although not finished! Actually I don't need more motivation, I'm really interested in this and I am looking forward to racing in VR when the higher resolution Rift is available along with the 6 DOF head tracking.

The next update of Rift support is coming along. The interface is processed in a new way that means it can now be drawn in 3D as a virtual transparent monitor fixed to your car. Trying to get that out this week, but I don't know what difficulties might come up and push it into next week...
I'm glad 3D support implementation is going well so far. I suppose upcoming patch will focus solely on 3D support? There is no chance you could squeeze the little InSim improvements discussed last year (autocross: no ground level check flag, new flat slab object)? If you decided to ditch this idea could you say so please, because it is fueling some (false?) hope
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG