The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
Quote from PeterN :And is that vertical, horizontal or diagonal? It makes a difference...

You´re absolutely right. To be honest it´s not mentioned somewhere. There is just written "FOV". So there is still a lot of confusion left.
How do you know the 110° is the diagonal FOV?
Quote from DickDastardly :Actually the Rift's native resolution is 1280x800 i.e. 16:10 (not 1280x720 which would be 16:9) so 1680x1050 does scale correctly. You can easily test this yourself by comparing 16:10 resolutions in-game (which look correct) with 16:9 resolutions (which warp as you roll your head).
Cheers,
DD

Actually both resolution (1680*1050 and 1600*900) are wrong but with the 1680 one the 2 images don't merge correctly for me and I can't see without straining my eyes a lot.

I don't have any eyes problems(12/10 at both eyes 6 month ago, no glasses) but we all are made different.
Quote from PeterN :I'm without a Rift, but when Rift mode is enabled, LFS changes the FOV setting to vertical field of view. As the Rift's diagonal FOV is apparently around 110°, I don't think a vertical FOV of 115° is at all correct.

You won't see much difference between 110° and 115°. I have settled at 110°. Not perfect but it is where it is the most fun to me.

A few feedback additions:
- I perform better with the rift than on screen. I hardly crash and the driving is very natural. Even with the low resolution it is better than playing on screen. I do feel dizzy though after playing for a while.
- Digital information on the dashboard are readable with the rift. When it is a needle not so much.
- The fact that I can't see my real wheel and my hands does not bother me at all. I don't even think of it.
Why exactly wouldn't you use the native 1280x800 resolution? Is that option missing @LFS or is there another reason not to do that?
Quote from cargame.nl :Why exactly wouldn't you use the native 1280x800 resolution? Is that option missing @LFS or is there another reason not to do that?

You can use the native resolution but the image is better when you use a higher resolution. I don't know the technical explanation but it is significant.
Quote from Maelstrom :You can use the native resolution but the image is better when you use a higher resolution. I don't know the technical explanation but it is significant.

It´s called Downsampling
Quote from just2fast :You´re absolutely right. To be honest it´s not mentioned somewhere. There is just written "FOV". So there is still a lot of confusion left.
How do you know the 110° is the diagonal FOV?

The 110° diagonal FoV is mentioned on the Rift's kickstarter page. It mentions the horizontal FoV is 90° and according to project holodeck the vertical is 105° (which makes sense since each eye gets a 640*800 screen). I find the default of 90° in LFS a bit weird, 105° feels fine but so does 115° for whatever reason.

Does anyone else get fairly significant drift? Sometimes it barely drifts at all but sometimes I have to reset multiple times per lap. I'm wondering if LFS doesn't yet use the rift's magnetometer for compensation, or if maybe my Rift is causing trouble.

Another thing I'd like to see is the in-race GUI being in a fixed position in 3d space, i find it weird to have things stuck to my face Anyway LFS in the rift is a lot of fun, really looking forward to the neck model, prediction and other features!
Wouldn't the image be better if you keep native (1280x800) but loads of AA? (like 16xS from nVidia inspector or some other combination of AA)

also, for those who have the dev kit, could you guys post pics and videos of how it looks and feel on LFS?
Thank you all for your feedback.

I have seen all the posts and I am referring back to them so don't worry if I don't reply. I'm making notes and continuing with updates. I'll be responding to some of the other posts at some point.

Quote from Specht77 :Wouldn't the image be better if you keep native (1280x800) but loads of AA? (like 16xS from nVidia inspector or some other combination of AA)

Just a quick answer on this last point - I do believe that what you are saying is correct, but there is just one problem... it appears there is no antialiasing when rendering to a texture, at least in DX8. The 3D images must be rendered to a texture before distorting that onto the backbuffer.

I'm interested in trying something though, an option to render each eye twice as big to an intermediate square texture which would then be halved in size when transferred to the current render texture, using the bilinear filtering to perform antialiasing (4 texels to 1).

If that works then I think the best image will come from selecting the native resolution for output.
What about those that can't use this patch like me? Some patch for us?

Thanks!
Quote from Scawen :
I'm interested in trying something though, an option to render each eye twice as big to an intermediate square texture which would then be halved in size when transferred to the current render texture, using the bilinear filtering to perform antialiasing (4 texels to 1).

If that works then I think the best image will come from selecting the native resolution for output.

Sounds definitely interesting. What I read so far AA with the barrel distortion is not that simple. Here´s a good article which covers some of the issues which have to be dealt with.
Patch 0.6E7
Because of the crash fix that was needed, I decided to upload a new version today although it only has one more real feature - you can look around in more views.

Oculus Rift :

Added resolution and IPD to info display in view options screen
Head tracking now works in helicopter / follow / SHIFT+U modes

Fixes :

FIX : LFS crashed when changing track in Oculus Rift mode

https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1828478#post1828478
Quote from Specht77 :also, for those who have the dev kit, could you guys post pics and videos of how it looks and feel on LFS?

I made a short video here.

LFS in the rift feels great. It plays the same as on screen, but it feels like being in the car. The 3d and head tracking definitely helps judging distances at short range... but the low resolution of the dev kit means it's difficult to judge things like corners on a track you don't know well. It's only when they're in your face that you get a real benefit of the 3d.
Quote from acous :I made a short video here.

LFS in the rift feels great. It plays the same as on screen, but it feels like being in the car. The 3d and head tracking definitely helps judging distances at short range... but the low resolution of the dev kit means it's difficult to judge things like corners on a track you don't know well. It's only when they're in your face that you get a real benefit of the 3d.

Looks funny on you but really cool to drive

can you actually see messages at that crappy resolution? *there is option to make them larger in Display submenu
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :can you actually see messages at that crappy resolution? *there is option to make them larger in Display submenu

I didn't know that, thanks! Couldn't make out messages at all. Yeah dev kit 1 is ridiculously big alright
-
(joordy599) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
(Specht77) DELETED by Scawen : reply to spam that is now deleted
Quote from acous :I didn't know that, thanks! Couldn't make out messages at all. Yeah dev kit 1 is ridiculously big alright

Yeah, current resolution is pretty much useless. Text is barely readable on current resolution, not to mention longer messages can easily exceed screen size even on default size. 1280x800 pixels thats 640x800 per eye considering FOV values you mentioned thats like you are sitting almost on monitor. AFAIK normal FOV while sitting in front of monitor is like maybe 30º and most often monitors use 1080p. IMO minimum decent resolution for future oculus rift should be not less than 1440p, maybe even 4K but not sure are they able to do that and still keep price resonable.

One Bug/suggestion:
Played a bit with options and selected Oculus rift. After that I got message "Could not open Oculus rift", so I was back to 2D mode and anytime I did select 3D I simply got "Could not open Oculus rift" and I was back to 2D. It's not right that you cannot select some other 3D mode.
after some more testing, I realized its not bug in general. It does happen on my laptop, while I can't reproduce it on my desktop, I tryed using same cfg file just like on laptop and still I'm able to enter to 3D mode.
I deleted my cfg file and tried again, same thing...
here is video about problem
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Played a bit with options and selected Oculus rift. After that I got message "Could not open Oculus rift", so I was back to 2D mode and anytime I did select 3D I simply got "Could not open Oculus rift" and I was back to 2D. It's not right that you cannot select some other 3D mode.
after some more testing, I realized its not bug in general. It does happen on my laptop, while I can't reproduce it on my desktop, I tryed using same cfg file just like on laptop and still I'm able to enter to 3D mode.
I deleted my cfg file and tried again, same thing...
here is video about problem

I'm laughing about that for some reason! Maybe time to stop for the night!

Looking in the code, I can see that bug taking place if your computer is not able to create and use a render target texture of size 2176 x 1088 pixels.

Easy to fix anyway. Thanks.
Some thoughts regarding 1280x800 vs. 1680x1050.
While the native resolution feels fine, with 1680x1050 there is noticeable eye strain!
That means even if the radio of both resolutions is the same (1,6), it displays different on the Rift.

I did a test.
I chose 1280x800 and sat in the BMW Sauber F1 looking with my head pointing directly on the steering wheel (BMW logo).
Then i rolled my eyes to the left and the right (head keeps still pointed forward). In this way i could see a some part of the mirrors.

Then i chose 1680x105 and did the same. However with this resolution i could see both mirrors completely!
I also had the feeling the picture is slightly squeezed horizontal.
Conclusion: be very careful choosing an other resolution then the Rifts native one!

So in a nutshell my best practises with the rift and lfs are:
- Set up a profile with correct IPD value in the Oculus config Utility and mark it as default.
- Setting the vertical field of view to somewhat between 110°-116° (I´ve choosen 112°)
- Use the Rifts native screen resolution of 1280x800
- Show the virtual driver and steering wheel
- Move driver in x,y,z direction until your head-position matches with your virtual body
- Set the option for moving view with animation to NO (hey, we have real headtracking now!)
- View accelaration option of headmovement: DEFINITELY(!) set the value of the angular headmovement to ZERO (0°/g)!Else the shaking of the view in VR makes you crazy!
- View accelaration options of horizontal, vertical and forward directions: Can be chosen to personal preference, but if too high you feel like a fat guy wobbling in the car

That´s it, with these setting i had a wonderful experience so far, despite the low resolution. For me racing is much more fun now and I love the subtle details:
Intuitively looking over the shoulder, looking into the corners, seeing the lifesize tyres left and right in front of you (I want to touch them and feel the heat), the desire to lean outside/inside the car and have a closer look at everything (even it´s not possible yet)
I barely can imagine what a consumer version with higer resolution and positional tracking will bring.
Quote from just2fast :Some thoughts regarding 1280x800 vs. 1680x1050.
While the native resolution feels fine, with 1680x1050 there is noticeable eye strain!
That means even if the radio of both resolutions is the same (1,6), it displays different on the Rift.

I did a test.
I chose 1280x800 and sat in the BMW Sauber F1 looking with my head pointing directly on the steering wheel (BMW logo).
Then i rolled my eyes to the left and the right (head keeps still pointed forward). In this way i could see a some part of the mirrors.

Then i chose 1680x105 and did the same. However with this resolution i could see both mirrors completely!
Conclusion: be very careful choosing an other resolution then the Rifts native one!

If that really happens, it probally will show on screenshots, can you take one screen at 1280x800 then 1680x1050?
Scawen, as you are working on the 3D atm, would it be possible to have an option to swap eyes when using Nvidia 3D Vision?

ATM I have to use my glasses upside down in LFS, but quite a few other games have an option to swap them over.
Quote from just2fast :Some thoughts regarding 1280x800 vs. 1680x1050.

I did a test.

:

That's really weird. I see exactly the same FOV etc when viewing at 1680x1050 as I do when playing at 1280x800. The gif below toggles between a screenshot at each res (although obviously the larger one has been resized to 1280x800 for comparison purposes). As you can see they're identical apart from a very slight difference in head position (which presumably came from the rift tracker drifting slightly between shots as it sat on my desk).

One thing that occurs to me is that you may have set up your screen cloning incorrectly in your nVidia/AMD settings. You want the source of the cloning to be the rift screen not your (probably 16:9) desktop monitor.
Cheers,
DD
Quote from DickDastardly :That's really weird. I see exactly the same FOV etc when viewing at 1680x1050 as I do when playing at 1280x800. The gif below toggles between a screenshot at each res (although obviously the larger one has been resized to 1280x800 for comparison purposes). As you can see they're identical apart from a very slight difference in head position (which presumably came from the rift tracker drifting slightly between shots as it sat on my desk).

Yesterday I did the same with taking screenshots and overlapp them in Gimp. The funny thing is that everything matches as you describe. I think screenshots are not really compareable. There should be taken pictures of the Rifts display with a camera instead.

Quote from DickDastardly :
One thing that occurs to me is that you may have set up your screen cloning incorrectly in your nVidia/AMD settings. You want the source of the cloning to be the rift screen not your (probably 16:9) desktop monitor.
Cheers,
DD

I thought i have tested it also with the Rift as the only display, but i will check it again when I´m at home tonight.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Scawen, as you are working on the 3D atm, would it be possible to have an option to swap eyes when using Nvidia 3D Vision?

ATM I have to use my glasses upside down in LFS, but quite a few other games have an option to swap them over.

I know you used nvidia 3D vision before there was any stereoscopic support in LFS. Are you using the LFS system at all now or still doing it the old way, with 2D selected in LFS? I'm asking because I don't know if it's possible for the nvidia system to use side by side 3D output and turn that into a shuttered 3D image.

If you are still doing it in 2D mode then I have no idea how to swap eyes, because there is no concept of a left or right eye in 2D mode. That sounds like a bad bug in the nvidia software. Does is make any difference if vertical sync is switched on or off in LFS?
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG