The online racing simulator
S3 Price?
(101 posts, started )
Quote from TheRealEddie :What they should do is get rid of the requirement to have S1 to get S3. Otherwise they run the risk of not getting US sales since the game will be 36 pounds which is approching $60 which is too much for many causual racers. Keeping it around 45 US should be the target, if not less. Note this is just a US perspecitive...

-1. $60 is just fine for a sim of this calibre.
Quote from MAGGOT :-1. $60 is just fine for a sim of this calibre.

i agree.
Quote from TheRealEddie :What they should do is get rid of the requirement to have S1 to get S3. Otherwise they run the risk of not getting US sales since the game will be 36 pounds which is approching $60 which is too much for many causual racers. Keeping it around 45 US should be the target, if not less. Note this is just a US perspecitive...

I really do think some of you forget they need to make a living out of this ... they've got other costs involved just to keep LFS active. ISP bills, website bills etc etc. Then theres the big part, actually making money to spend for themselves. £36 (if you pay from scratch) for S3 will be a bargain, how many years of development ? 3-4 years. If SimBin were in charge we'd be at GTR 4 @ £35 a go = £140!

I can't think of anything that has cost me <£24s which has given me so much entertainment with more to come ... I've never got bored of LFS because theres always a new challenge when driving a new car. Something which very few games manage to do.

Quote from Live For Kill :that isnt really good. the S2 cost very much right now. anyway i hope that the prices will be lowered some time (when the S3 will be out, for example, the S1 will be 8 pounds). i buy softwares very rare, (the last was the Starcraft in 2005, for 990 HUF (about 1,90-2 pound). its not so good, that its so expensive (and that the S1 are no longer sold), that might be easier to buy it, and both the demos (several more cars and tracks) and the devs (some + money) would be happier

Why do you want S1 ? there are zero S1 servers ... just as well with the demo. As I've said to you before, can't see what the difference is with you hiding that £12 away until you get another £12 to buy an S2 license ?
in some countries LFS is really expensive, i had to pay 130 pesos to unlock s2, and i belive that if the S3 costs 36 punds wich is about 200 pesos nobody here would be able to buy it, damn third world prices, i should move to england or scavier should move to argentina, they would be rich here :P
Quote from RiGun :in some countries LFS is really expensive

Like I had said above, that is not the dev's fault. (Trying not to sound like a jerk here, sorry if it comes off that way). Being an online game, there is no effective way to change pricing for different regions without abuse. Some people will just have to go without LFS if they cant afford it.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Well I think the major improvement for S3 will have to be graphic engine.
Somethinng around DX9/DX10.Will be pretty hard staff for Scawen though.

I hope it would be too much for Scawen to do. I'm a casual racer and don't intend to spend too much money on my PC if any at all. On my AMD1800+ Gef5200 1gb ram LFS runs just about right but still suffers at racestarts even though the graphics are optimised.
I think one of the advantages of LFS is the medium system requirement and that should stay like that.
Quote from MAGGOT :Like I had said above, that is not the dev's fault. (Trying not to sound like a jerk here, sorry if it comes off that way). Being an online game, there is no effective way to change pricing for different regions without abuse. Some people will just have to go without LFS if they cant afford it.

I totally agree with you there is no way to charge less for a specific country, I just wanted to let you know that if you want to play you can afford it, if I can pay 130 pesos I belive that people from the USA can pay 60 bucks for an S3 licence.
#33 - joen
Quote from K.David :I hope it would be too much for Scawen to do. I'm a casual racer and don't intend to spend too much money on my PC if any at all. On my AMD1800+ Gef5200 1gb ram LFS runs just about right but still suffers at racestarts even though the graphics are optimised.
I think one of the advantages of LFS is the medium system requirement and that should stay like that.

S3 is still years away.

What makes you think that LFS will run bad on your PC when LFS will include DX9 support?

The graphic intensity will without a doubt be scalable and you will most likely be able to choose which DX level to use (like you can do with rFactor now for instance). So I don't see the problem. I want LFS to progress on any level, including graphics.

Besides, if you don't want LFS taking up any more of your PC resources you'd better wish for a stop in development of the physics instead. Because your CPU is the bottleneck in your system, and the CPU is much more important to the physics than the graphics.

Oh, and the problems at racestart are not graphics related, but lag related.
Quote from RiGun :I totally agree with you there is no way to charge less for a specific country, I just wanted to let you know that if you want to play you can afford it, if I can pay 130 pesos I belive that people from the USA can pay 60 bucks for an S3 licence.

Its not really a question of whether we believe LFS is worth it, we are already commited to LFS. I'm sure we'd all pay 60 for it. But to grow the LFS community $60 may price the game out of many gamer's consideration. 2 sold at 45 is more $$ than 1 sold at 60. I'm sure Scawen and company will choose their price with the big picture in mind. If thats $60 so be it. I'm in either way
With President chimp in charge, USA economy will probably only get worse. You'll probably have to shell out $100 by the time S3 comes along.

Often it's UK buyers who get shafted, as US prices are often transfered 1:1 into UK £'s. LFS is priced with UK pricing as it's basis. The currency conversion is just going in the opposite direction.

The UK is comparitively an expensive country to live in. Eating out and getting drunk cost a fortune :drink:
Quote from dontsimon :The UK is comparitively an expensive country to live in. Eating out and getting drunk cost a fortune :drink:

So I've heard. A friend of mine lived quite comfortably here, whereas when she moved back to England she is now on the brink of poverty simply because the cost of life is so much higher in the UK
The only thing that needs to be fixed to quiet any price discussions is the online license handling. It doesn't need to be done now, but it should be considered for the future.

Right now licenses can't mix, so someone with an S1 license can only race others who also only have an S1 license. Which is a number close to zero. This is a huge restriction on the license model, actually making any license below the current release pretty much worthless. Now if license mixing was allowed, so an S1 racer can race on S2 servers, but only with S1 content (he can view S2 content, though), THEN you we could finally argue only to buy an S2 or S1 license, instead of S3.

In its current state the model is bearable, but only because S2 is still relatively cheap compared to other games. When S3 comes around, this is not the case anymore, and many people will be reluctant to buy a game that is now over the average price. THEN it would be golden to be able to offer a smaller price for a bit less content.
be happy with s2 knowing that s3 is coming
I have to agree that $60 USD is probably too much. If you know anything about marketing, its that the market will pay for it what they want to pay for it. It doesn't matter how much it cost you to develop it, games tend to be in the $45-55 USD range.

I would pay $60 knowing what I know about LFS, but that doesn't matter to the consumer who knows nothing about the game. They will have trouble swallowing such a high price and it will stunt the growth of the game's community.
X-Plane is quite expensive, as is MSFS. People will pay more for proper simulators. There might not be the bulk of sales, but we don't really want LFS appealing to too wide an audience anyway...
If you compare it to the yearly EA, standard gaming price model of a new game ecah year, then S3 is only £12 per game. Buying the whole S3 product in one go will be only one packaage, but it represents three installmants, not one. With that in mind, the UK pricing of £36 is outsatanding.

At todays rate, £36 is $67. The fact that this converts to $67 just shows again, that the US usually gets their stuff cheaper than we do. They can't reduce it for the $ market if it's developed and the price is set in the UK.
I take a different philosophical approach to the price of software and in these terms LFS is a complete bargain.

Consider... one S2 license =

- one tank of regular gasoline (in the US, worse in ROW)
- one night at the movies for the family
- five days of fast food lunches
- a shirt or two (depending on how fancy...)
- a couple decent haircuts
- two lap dances...

You get the idea
#44 - joen
Quote from Bennett88 :I take a different philosophical approach to the price of software and in these terms LFS is a complete bargain.

Consider... one S2 license =

- one tank of regular gasoline (in the US, worse in ROW)
- one night at the movies for the family
- five days of fast food lunches
- a shirt or two (depending on how fancy...)
- a couple decent haircuts
- two lap dances...

You get the idea

Exactly, so true. Put the price into perspective and see what you get out of it.
The things mentioned above all run out eventually, LFS will bring you years of fun
Quote from MAGGOT :Some people will just have to go without LFS if they cant afford it.

Sorta like in real life: that Aston Martin Vanquish I want but can't afford.

"Yet another dimension of LFS that is as real as reality." ©
Quote from dontsimon :If you compare it to the yearly EA, standard gaming price model of a new game ecah year, then S3 is only £12 per game. Buying the whole S3 product in one go will be only one packaage, but it represents three installmants, not one. With that in mind, the UK pricing of £36 is outsatanding.

At todays rate, £36 is $67. The fact that this converts to $67 just shows again, that the US usually gets their stuff cheaper than we do. They can't reduce it for the $ market if it's developed and the price is set in the UK.

so true things are cheaper here BUT GAS!!! $3.05 a gallon in some areas
(euro 2.37936) oh also houses here in sunny flordia that not cheap either
heck im paying 4,79 USD for a gallon!!! Think gas is expansive for you guys ?

BTW sorry for the O/T
In truth, the US pays less for its gas than any other country in the world pretty much. Once our dollar and our litre are converted over to the American system (Imperial is it?) we end up paying up to 1 USD more than the US. And I consider us lucky.
WOW:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

and i thought we had it bad
we have ever since katrina; bumped up gas prices by a dollar a gallon

lets also keep in mind how many more thousands of cars we have on the roads, and how much further everything is away..

S3 Price?
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG