The online racing simulator
What large panel to buy for a triple screen setup?
Finally thinking about building a triple screen setup.

Most of the triple screen setups I see around the forums tend to use 20~30' LCDs and I know some models within this range are fast enough for gaming. But I prefer to get as much FOV as I can so the panels need to be big. According to what I've heard those 60'+ TV panels are designed with only movies and stuff in mind and latency is not an issue for them. Is that ture?

Is there any large panel with very low overall latency that fit the gaming purpose? Is the display refreshing progress the major source of lag? If yes, should I go plasma?

The multi-screen setup in LFS does not appear to have any option for creating a small gap between adjacent viewports. The physical screens will always have some bezel around. What can I do about this?

I know this post should go into the hardware-monitor subforum but that place is dead now.
Quote from Keling :The physical screens will always have some bezel around. What can I do about this?

As far as I know,there is screen bezel compensation option in LFS. Never had something to do with it,just know from translating...
I'm not sure if you should go Plasma. A few months ago I played on 3 60" screens (Which was ****ing awesome :shy, but they had some noticeable flickering and a bit of lag.

What size are you exactly thinking of, so I could help search?
Quote from Bose321 :I'm not sure if you should go Plasma. A few months ago I played on 3 60" screens (Which was ****ing awesome :shy, but they had some noticeable flickering and a bit of lag.

What size are you exactly thinking of, so I could help search?

Thanks.

Around 60" should be fine. Assuming that I place the main display 60"/1.5m ahead of my eyes (which is about the limit with the space for my arms and wheel in mind), I should be able to get ~160° FOV.

I did some Googling myself but it's very difficult to get any information about latency/lag.
I wouldn't personally bother with TVs for serious gaming. The problem with huge TVs in the 50"+ range is the dreadful PPI density, as they're still the same old 1080p rubbish. You'd have to place the screens so far back that the benefits from the huge size wouldn't really matter compared to sharper, smaller screens which are also useful for desktop work. Sitting 1.5 meters from a 1080p 60" looks like shit.

3x30" 2560x1600 is what I'd aim to do, if I'd have 4000€ laying around. Or just wait a year and buy the Oculus Rift for a fraction of the cost.
#6 - DeKo
Imagine the insane amount of heat that you would get from being surrounded by 3 Plasma TVs? Better you than me in that hell.
Quote from Matrixi :just wait a year and buy the Oculus Rift for a fraction of the cost.

This.

Or get three 22s (a great one for the centre screen and two cheap ones for the sides). My 22s give me about 160 degrees FOV and don't take up the entire room. With enormous screens, as has been said, you'd just end up having to move them further away anyway.
I think 22" is way too small. You should aim at least for 27-30".

Like Matrixi said, 1080p on those huge 60" looks like shit. 1440p or 1600p screens are really worth the extra price. I can highly recommend the DELL screens, they're brilliant.
Quote from Crashgate3 :This.

Or get three 22s (a great one for the centre screen and two cheap ones for the sides). My 22s give me about 160 degrees FOV and don't take up the entire room. With enormous screens, as has been said, you'd just end up having to move them further away anyway.

Can you show a photo of your setup (with seat and head position)? Three 22"s covering 160° means the distance between the monitor center and your eyes is 22/2*16/((16^2+9^2)^.5) / tan(160/3/2/57.3) = 19.1" = 48.5cm. How exactly does that work?

It looks like I failed at measurements.

With 60" I should get ~235°, not ~160°.

40"~45" would be big enough for 160°~180°.

Attached images
triscreen1.png
Quote from Keling :Three 22"s covering 160° means the distance between the monitor center and your eyes is 22/2*16/((16^2+9^2)^.5) / tan(160/3/2/57.3) = 19.1" = 48.5cm. How exactly does that work?

That sounds about right. If I hold out my arm whilst in 'driving position', my findertips are about 2 inches from the screen.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG