The online racing simulator
24 Hours of Le Mans 2013
(105 posts, started )
Omg , why was the crash fatal ? I mean what kind of injures he got ?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Horrible. I'm one of those who say it didn't look _that_ bad, but remember Dale Earnhardt's crash, that didn't look half as bad and we all know how it ended. I've seen much worse crashes in NASCAR yet people got out without a scratch. Unlucky situation. :tombstone

When watching the accident live (counting in the replays shown after the crash), I thought like you that it is not that bad. I just gave it another look, watching a record of SPEED. They actually pointed out the fact how much the rollcage was bendt (seeable by the fact the roof of the car was damaged), which I didn't realise during the first watch.

Quote from shimon-ifraimov :Omg , why was the crash fatal ? I mean what kind of injures he got ?

That was not said as of now. The ACO said, they will not comment on that topic until the reasons for the accident and the injuries he suffered are completely known.
As always... lots of debris = spectacular = looks "bad".
The Aston is a RHD car isn't it? The side impact was heavy and there's no/ little give in that barrier.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Horrible. I'm one of those who say it didn't look _that_ bad, but remember Dale Earnhardt's crash, that didn't look half as bad and we all know how it ended. I've seen much worse crashes in NASCAR yet people got out without a scratch. Unlucky situation. :tombstone

Didn't Dale Earnhardt had heart attack or some other health problem just right before his crash?
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :Omg , why was the crash fatal ? I mean what kind of injures he got ?

I think the crash was fatal due to broken wall... And the tree right next to wall. It's just my deduction but if the impact was so strong to break the wall then the car surely must gone somehow through it and hit the tree or something...

Btw. Audi is starting to get serious problems... As usual.
I also thought the crash was not that bad because it was really difficult to understand anything from the replays shown in TV, plus the knobs at Eurosport were like everything was alright after the crash... RIP Allan
Btw: Just noticing, that the Ticker overlay (speeking of Eurosport) now removed Allan. For two or three hours after the announcement of his death, it was still showing his name as driver of the retired Young Drivers AMR.

Quote from luki97 :Didn't Dale Earnhardt had heart attack or some other health problem just right before his crash?

From what I understood, his belt tore in a crash, which is daily buisness in NASCAR.
It's nice to be able to watch the race in HD and uninterrupted. Thanks for posting the stream links.

The seriousness of the Aston accident was deceptive because it didn't look dramatic but I guess that just shows the energy involved in top end motorsports.

What has suprised me is that Aston are carrying on, it's very unusual for a team to carry on racing when I driver has died although I understand that's what the family wanted.

The Eurosport commentary isn't very good though, or maybe the race is less interesting this year. But I rather think that's because the commentators are too busy talking about everything other than the race rather than highlight the class battles going on.
the british commentary is so much better than the german guys. As always those focus solely on Audi and Manthey, and have no idea whatsoever about the cars. Watched a little of it in German during second quali. They couldn't even tell that the Toyota is running a N/A engine.

what happened to the Audis? Only two still running?
Quote from ACCAkut :what happened to the Audis? Only two still running?

Well you could watch the German commentary :P

The number 1 car had a half hour pitstop but is still running, the number 3 picked up a puncture at Karting but didn't realise until Dunlop, so had to do a full lap with a puncture and lost 2 laps. The number 2 is leading, so all 3 still running.
Not sure about other people, but I feel like not being able to stay up for 24 hours.. ..Not even half way there and already struggling to keep my eyes open!

Oh, well, I just hope I won't miss some epic action while I'll be sleeping..Hope to catch up @ tomorrow morning..
sorry that I have a real live and went out with some friends for a few hours :P

Simonsens death really downs the mood and an article about it one a major german news site is already being spamend by eco-hipsters condemning his death as a sign for the decent of motosport, while other commenters yell at the motorsport community for not mourning as much for every child dying of Aids in Africa. German commenters are weird (at last on spiegel.de)
Quote from MousemanLV :Oh, well, I just hope I won't miss some epic action while I'll be sleeping..Hope to catch up @ tomorrow morning..

Even if you don't, the cameras (the all two on during the night, not counting the creepy CCTVs) will, and even if a rare case happens and they happen to get it on camera, the director will surely not show it.
Quote from deggis :Even if you don't, the cameras (the all two on during the night, not counting the creepy CCTVs) will, and even if a rare case happens and they happen to get it on camera, the director will surely not show it.

Spoken like a veteran...

Although coverage has definitely gotten better over the years.
Quote from luki97 :Didn't Dale Earnhardt had heart attack or some other health problem just right before his crash?

As I remember, he had head and chest injuries.
next big accident - the #30 HVM in the Ford chicane. The complete rear part of the car is torn away. Driver is out and on his own feet.
I appear to have dozed of and now another accident and a barrier repair in progress. No idea why.
Quote from Becky Rose :I appear to have dozed of and now another accident and a barrier repair in progress. No idea why.

The #54 Ferrari crashed with its rear into that barrier, which gets replaced by a new one now. Howard Blank is out of the car and appears unharmed. Repairs are expected to take 40 minutes.
Thanks. I won't let it happen again :P

Dale Earnhardt had a basal skull fracture
Bent chassis:

Andrea Belicchi taken to medical center for reported broken ribs after crashing the Rebellion LMP1 hard after SC a bit ago and driving it back to the pits.

And now the leading Aston Martin just had a nasty accident. Another over correction, this one leading to a head on impact (like the Rebellion just a bit ago).

24 Hours of Le Mans 2013
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG