The online racing simulator
Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
#26 - wark
Quote from Breizh :Isn't Kyoto GP a Suzuka clone?

What parts are similar other than being in Japan and going under (albeit not over) a bridge?
Quote from Spinjack :Doesn't Westhill (I think) have an Eau Rouge style sequence. Westhill seems to be a very Spa-like track.

If you're blind it does. Westhill's the bastard offspring of Oulton Park and Laguna Seca!!!!!!!
Quote :A track that isn't made for drivers, but a track that was made against drivers.

Kyalami, and Willow Springs have racing lines that aren't intuititve. The fact they still run F1's a Monaco is anti-driver.

Regarding Nordschleife, they still have high level club races there, sometimes combining both the old and new as in this video, one warmup lap on the new Nurburg ring, then a race lap, exiting left onto the Nordschleife, all the way around, then back to the Nurburg ring finish line.

m3gtrnrd.wmv

Nordschleife has a history in racing games, mostly because of Grand Prix Legends. It was like a game inside a game. As time as gone on, demand for versions of Nordschleife have created versions for many racing games.

Longest circuit is bikes only as far as I know. Isle of Mann Time Trials on an island near England, 37.75 miles, the best lap times are just under 18 minutes, averaging over 126mph.
I don't know, I haven't raced much Suzuka in any games, nor seen any onboard RL footage, but what little I remember from GP500 seems to bear the same character as KyGP.

btw is that you Zaidon?
Quote from wark :What parts are similar other than being in Japan and going under (albeit not over) a bridge?

You also go over the bridge in KY. Its in the beginning of the lap right after the 1st chicane.
Quote from MAGGOT :I find the Green Hell incredibly intense and wonderful to drive in games, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IRL. And as for its reputation - Its reputation is that it is one of the most challenging and dangerous racetracks on the planet. The many deaths there prove that. That is how it recieved its reputation.

Let me assure you it is even better in real life! The fact that you have a widescreen view and seat of the pants feeling of what's happening is just a little bit of help! I'm saving up to go again...

I would absolutely love to see this in LFS one day, and I think it's a possibility a few years down the line. I know it won't happen unless it's the right thing for LFS and it can be done as the dev's would like it to be done. I hope we see it one day though Would save me buying a PS3 and GT5 for more 'Ring lapping...
Everything should be in LFS, it's just a matter of priority.
LFS + Ring... ... my social life will be over
Crazy Harry - what is your point? Does Jackie Stewart play LFS? How would he know what it'll be like in game?

In real life of course it's good - I plan to take a number of 'nice' cars there in the future, but I think it would be utterly utterly rubbish in LFS.
Quote from Becky Rose :and of course a certain political rally

ok as i am from nuernberg or nuremberg for al those that cant cope with the concept of umlauts i just have to set this right ...

nürburg is a small village (some 180 inhabitants according to wiki) with a small rather unimpressive castle in the far west of germany ... and it happens to be the place where the longest permanent racetrack is situated
one that as you and tristan have already said isnt really fit for a sim

nürnberg however is a rather large town (500.000) in the south of germany which was one of the centres in the holy roman empire (2. reich iirc) and as such became hitlers centre for rallies in the 3. reich
and the are those rallies were held at has now become the norisring track which is still part of the dtm (and a memorial of course)
and btw the nürnberg castle is a lot more impressive as well
Quote from Vain :About the Nordschleife:
This thread made me try the Nordschleife in GTL and if that track comes to LFS I'm gonna uninstall LFS, just like I'll do with GTL soon (after trying the rest of the game). The GTL representation is rather horrible for anyone who was either at the Ring in person or spend enough time to watch onboard videos (I laughed when I saw the portion of the track that was meant to be the Lauda-Left).

Do you know that every GTR/GTL/rFactor/Nascar2003 version is actually based on the 60's version from GPL? It's not accurate (with the track today) because it's not even the same layout in the first place. And graphically it's pretty old of course. Even the Gran Turismo 4 version is more accurate... But currently that GTL version (which works with GTR2 demo too) is the best you can get for PC sim.

Good news is that some day we can finally play a modern version of Nurb on a PC. Some crazy guys are making the track from a scratch for nK Poo (I think they need to change their mod platform because of the current situation of nK Poo):
http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =3029420&postcount=25

And also there's under work "TheMotherII" version, which is still based on the old GPL track conversions but this is includes the section from the F1 GP track:

http://friendlycurb.de
video: http://rapidshare.de/files/26044086/bmw_wtcc_gpns.wmv.html

From the video it also looks like it's been completely updated graphically.
Quote from deggis :Do you know that every GTR/GTL/rFactor/Nascar2003 version is actually based on the 60's version from GPL? It's not accurate (with the track today) because it's not even the same layout in the first place. And graphically it's pretty old of course. Even the Gran Turismo 4 version is more accurate... But currently that GTL version (which works with GTR2 demo too) is the best you can get for PC sim.

Good news is that some day we can finally play a modern version of Nurb on a PC. Some crazy guys are making the track from a scratch for nK Poo (I think they need to change their mod platform because of the current situation of nK Poo):
http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =3029420&postcount=25

And also there's under work "TheMotherII" version, which is still based on the old GPL track conversions but this is includes the section from the F1 GP track:

http://friendlycurb.de
video: http://rapidshare.de/files/26044086/bmw_wtcc_gpns.wmv.html

From the video it also looks like it's been completely updated graphically.

DUDE tell me how do you get that track work in the GTR2 demo? thats awesome!

edit: ah just found it at RSC thank for that anyway :P

http://rapidshare.de/files/266 ... S_Brakesman_GTR2.rar.html

what a BLAST!! 7:23 @ ferrari so far omg thats allmost 1 minute faster then with the GTL cars and its for free everybody can download the demo & the track. Have fun people
Quote from Becky Rose :Perhaps a compromise would be a fantasy track based around Spa Francochamps?
[...]
Plus if it's a deliberate fantasy track we could get a few more short combo's in there too, which is where the best racing in LFS is to be had - it's just that for some reason track length seems equal to male external paraphenalia length around here sometimes.

Of course you could get lots of original shorter configurations ... nordschleife, f1-track, track without the before the last corner, ...
And if you don't wanna drive the nordschleife, you don't have to ...

and about paying (if a license is required) I already wrote something in the old thread (take a look at the 2nd post, 2nd page). The answer of Victor about it was:
Quote : Hi,

Interesting, but I can't really say anything useful about it atm. Making a track that big will take eric a loooong time, even when the whole track layout would be supplied digitally, ready to be imported.
It'd be nice to have it, but we have to weigh it against the time it will take to make it and some other things. And because atm we're still focussed on finishing S2, I can't say much useful about it.
But that doesn't matter - the idea can wait. Maybe we can pick it up in the future. No promises though. Also I'm not sure if it's fair to let the enthousiasts pay for something the rest will get for 'free'. I dunno, but it leaves a slightly sour taste. I just know there will be people who think 'let someone else pay, I will download it when it is there thank you very much', so just opening an account for this purpose may not be the best option.
In short : we'll see.

Regards,

Victor

of course it was meant, that everyone had to pay ... and I wrote this back to Victor
Quote from duke_toaster :If you're blind it does. Westhill's the bastard offspring of Oulton Park and Laguna Seca!!!!!!!

Laguna? I don't see anything "Laguna" in Westhill
Quote from Vain :Nurburg (Ger: Nürburg), where the Ring is, is in the middle west of germany. Nuremberg, if I correctly translated that to Nürnberg, is in southern germany. The distance is something along the lines of 400km.

Vain, and Shotglass, thanks for the clarification on this.
Quote from duke_toaster :If you're blind it does. Westhill's the bastard offspring of Oulton Park and Laguna Seca!!!!!!!

I can't see any real relation to Laguna Seca, and certainly nothing like Oulton Park.

I think Kyoto GP Long is very definatley a Suzuka inspired track, mixture of some fast corners, technical all very smooth (look at how stiff and low the WR setups are) with gentle undulation suited to F1 cars and with a chicane type corner at the end of the lap.

I think Aston is based to some extent on Spa, not so much because of the obvious Eau Rouge type corner, which really is nothing like Eau Rouge, but just in general feel and corner types, minus some of the gradient.

The 'ring is fantastic, for those that know the 'ring to some extent IRL the GTL version just won't do, keeping it in a historic setting in GPL/N2003 makes the layout seem right and regardless of how accurate it is it's the best track ever IMO. I've done thousands of (very slow) laps round the 'ring in the Papy sims, mostly hotlapping the Papy physics are rewarding enough to do that offline on your own, LFS could also be that rewarding but having tried it in the GTR2 demo with no one else it isn't rewarding or at all addictive. Having said that I don't think the 'ring or a 'ring like track would suit an online racing simulator like LFS. Maybe we can have a new 'ring when DR or S3 final is out
The Ring was always a survival track it seemed. There, more than anywhere, you raced the racetrack, and dealt with other cars if you should happen upon one. Compelling driving for sure, but if you're looking for close compelling racing with other cars, a loooooooong track like the Ring isn't conducive to that. There are always exceptions of course.

One wacky idea I came up with was to have a 1 lap trophy dash in UF1's. The car is so drop-dead-slow and easy to drive that most people could wheel it around the Ring reasonably well. The racing would be close and 1 lap would last probably 10 minutes. Neat little concept. Racing at its simplest. First one back to the line wins.
#44 - wark
Quote from zeugnimod :You also go over the bridge in KY. Its in the beginning of the lap right after the 1st chicane.

I KNEW IT! Man, was I tired.
Here's a viable alternative to the Nordschleife, that actually would be used online: Kyoto Ring Endurance (excuse the shite use of paint).

It's a hybrid of the National and GP circuits, instead of going round the oval pits the cars go on to the national infield section.
Attached images
ky4.PNG
#47 - Jakg
Quote from duke_toaster :Here's a viable alternative to the Nordschleife, that actually would be used online: Kyoto Ring Endurance (excuse the shite use of paint).

It's a hybrid of the National and GP circuits, instead of going round the oval pits the cars go on to the national infield section.

variations like this have been posted many times, and i would love to see something like this, best of all it requires no real remodelling!
But the hairpin would be unrealistic I think. Huge oval section and then allmost 180 degree turn where you would end up in a concrete from top speed if you miss the braking If it would be possible, skipping the oval would be the best, but that would need very heavy modding and making a new section.
#49 - wark
Quote from duke_toaster :Here's a viable alternative to the Nordschleife

Now how is THAT similar? You'd drive cars on them both I'm absolutely sure of that much...
There must not exist a track thread (especially about the 'ring) without me posting new track config suggestions for LFS:

Having a long oval part on a this type of track is imho little boring, like it is in kyR/ky2R

Me wants Bathurst, modern Mosport and Laguna seca. I expect Scawen/Eric/Victor to make it to the U19

EDIT: U19, damnit
Attached images
kyoto_rinG.jpg

Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG