The online racing simulator
Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
Quote from duke_toaster :Here's a viable alternative to the Nordschleife, that actually would be used online: Kyoto Ring Endurance (excuse the shite use of paint).

It's a hybrid of the National and GP circuits, instead of going round the oval pits the cars go on to the national infield section.

You've completely missed the point, the Nurburgring isn't just a normal track but longer it's narrow, long, bumpy, lots of off camber and huge elevation changes, none of that list applies to any Kyoto combo, that circuit would be nice but it would not be anything like the 'ring.

It's hard to explain but if you look at a circuit like Kyoto/Suzuka you can tell that it's been designed by someone whose sat down, its been made with plenty of overtaking good spectating and TV with corners that are smooth and lightly banked that will please modern racing teams who want everything to be predictable. The 'ring on the other hand (despite being purpose built I know) feels like its just always been there safety and raceability not really being connsidered. Making a track feel natural would be very hard the best possibility for an unlicensed track would be basing it on public roads.
Hmm... What about putting the whole Gumball 3000 2007 race course into LFS? Starting from London, through Poland to istanbul ending at Dubai. Just put some trees in between an add some Porsches, BMWs, Maseratis and Ferraris and we are set to go
+1 for kyoto endurance and also the option for servers to offer optimized setups for joiners, not having setups for long tracks is imo the top reason keeping users away from them.
Quote from Honey :+1 for kyoto endurance and also the option for servers to offer optimized setups for joiners, not having setups for long tracks is imo the top reason keeping users away from them.

I find it more that people aren't ready or willing to spend longer time to learn the track. You can have a good understanding of Blackwood in less than 20 laps but learning the 'ring in 20 laps is impossible. Longer tracks just take longer time to learn and memorize
Quote from Hyperactive :There must not exist a track thread (especially about the 'ring) without me posting new track config suggestions for LFS:

Having a long oval part on a this type of track is imho little boring, like it is in kyR/ky2R

Well that config would actually work without huge remodelling.

But I hope we see more dedicated track areas like Westfield or Blackwood where there is just one main config.
Nürburgring, I get it now!
Someone or a group of people are making the track, the project name is The Mother II. However it is planned to be released for GTR2 and rfactor
#60 - mink
Quote from deggis :Do you know that every GTR/GTL/rFactor/Nascar2003 version is actually based on the 60's version from GPL? It's not accurate (with the track today) because it's not even the same layout in the first place. And graphically it's pretty old of course. Even the Gran Turismo 4 version is more accurate... But currently that GTL version (which works with GTR2 demo too) is the best you can get for PC sim.

Good news is that some day we can finally play a modern version of Nurb on a PC. Some crazy guys are making the track from a scratch for nK Poo (I think they need to change their mod platform because of the current situation of nK Poo):
http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =3029420&postcount=25

And also there's under work "TheMotherII" version, which is still based on the old GPL track conversions but this is includes the section from the F1 GP track:

http://friendlycurb.de
video: http://rapidshare.de/files/26044086/bmw_wtcc_gpns.wmv.html

From the video it also looks like it's been completely updated graphically.

The Video from "the Mother II" is awesome. Some passages like the "Brünnchen" or "Adenauer Forst" still look a bit crappy tbh but all in all this is some amazing piece of work. Im really impressed by the affilation of the Nordschleife and the GP-Track... The day when this track will be released is going to be the day i buy GTR2
It's a real shame because the handling in GTR2 is non of that like in LFS and thats the main reason why I'd like to see this track imported/made into LFS.

ATM I have GTR2 demo with the Nurburgring track, not bad but still.
Quote from mink :The Video from "the Mother II" is awesome. Some passages like the "Brünnchen" or "Adenauer Forst" still look a bit crappy tbh but all in all this is some amazing piece of work. Im really impressed by the affilation of the Nordschleife and the GP-Track... The day when this track will be released is going to be the day i buy GTR2

The Mother was the only reason i have GT4 - GTL and it will probably the only reason i will get GTR2 as well Its a challenge no matter how many laps you do there and no matter what car you use
What about a 20 lap race with da Mini?

I like to play GTL a lot but I miss addon cars very much. (Steinmetz Commodore, 917k)
Quote :And if you don't wanna drive the nordschleife, you don't have to ...

But if half the drivers are online are racing on the ring just because it's 'the ring' then where do people who actually want to Play LFS go? Including The Ring would destroy LFS.

Tracks like Kyoto GP, Aston Long and even Westhill are not the most fun because they're too long. I've had far better races on FE Green than on FE Gold for instance, but where does everyone race? Yup, FE Gold - because it's longer.

I just dont get the attraction. When you've only got 20 cars in a full grid 2 challenging corners (and a few fillers) is more than enough, it's where the most fun in LFS is to be had.

I'd enjoy longer tracks in LFS more if there where more cars.

You can of course argue that the only difference is that of backmarkers, but it isn't at all. A shorter track gets learned quicker and therefor encourages closer racing in online play, and that is what LFS is about afterall, online play.
+1
Becky, what's the difference with drifters doing their thing independently on their own servers?
I think the biggest obstacle for the Nurb to get into LFS is its production cost, as Victor said.

o/t: can you check this thread for a question of mine please?
That's why 3rd party devs should be able to create their own tracks once LFS is completed IMO. It's been done on many other games/mods anyway.

and by "production cost" do you mean buying the liscense for it?
Both time and money, making it (incl. licensing, among other things), and as opposed to the same time and (probably less) money yielding smaller but just as useful features.
It's sort of like a plant that's burgeoning spending all its resources growing a branch complete with its sub-branches and bark and leaves when the main trunk isn't even brown yet.
Quote from MAGGOT :I find the Green Hell incredibly intense and wonderful to drive in games, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IRL. And as for its reputation - Its reputation is that it is one of the most challenging and dangerous racetracks on the planet. The many deaths there prove that. That is how it recieved its reputation.

You mentioned Spa, and a lap being quite long. I assume you were talking about the old spa layout? I'd love something like that, too. Spa is another wonderful track (well, it used to be. Now it's just the best track in F1; by no means a hard title to hold).

Here's a suggestion; Ericshleife!

But part of the reason there are so many recorded deaths is that for it to be classed as a death the victim must die within the borders of the circuit. And because the ring covers such a large area, more people die before they are moved out of the circuit borders than other tracks.
#70 - Gunn
Quote from Gentlefoot :But part of the reason there are so many recorded deaths is that for it to be classed as a death the victim must die within the borders of the circuit. And because the ring covers such a large area, more people die before they are moved out of the circuit borders than other tracks.

And many died because medical help often could not reach them quickly due to the rugged topography.
Quote :Becky, what's the difference with drifters doing their thing independently on their own servers?

Because drifters are not part of the circuit community, the fact is LFS is very small - online of an evening there are only a handful of busy servers. If the ring was released for LFS tommorrow it would slash the number of active servers where you could find great racing, it would divide the community in two just as oval racing has done.

Quote :o/t: can you check this thread for a question of mine please?

OffTopic Reply: You can download my backfire mod from the unofficial addons section, i'm working on something more extensive than that - an early version is currently being tested by STCC drivers and the first beta version should be out in a few weeks.
Quote from Becky Rose :... it would divide the community in two just as oval racing has done...

This is the just the poor opinion of some stupid flamers. How can racetypes split a community? Let everyone race what they like to race and the community will feel fine.
Quote from Becky Rose :Because drifters are not part of the circuit community, the fact is LFS is very small - online of an evening there are only a handful of busy servers. If the ring was released for LFS tommorrow it would slash the number of active servers where you could find great racing, it would divide the community in two just as oval racing has done.

OffTopic Reply: You can download my backfire mod from the unofficial addons section, i'm working on something more extensive than that - an early version is currently being tested by STCC drivers and the first beta version should be out in a few weeks.

So you want everybody forced to race the same race type f.e. curcuit tracks only? Or lets get more into detail, only 1 track? Or only one combo? So this would be the most fun for everybody? Hmm....
Wrong. Having the lack of new track additions means eventual stagnation for a game platform. If you have ever worked in a game studio, this is a bad thing and has a negative effect on revenues in the LONG RUN. In the software world, you gotta build new things to stay ahead.

Quote from Becky Rose :If the ring was released for LFS tommorrow it would slash the number of active servers where you could find great racing, it would divide the community in two just as oval racing has done.

Quote from Becky Rose :Because drifters are not part of the circuit community, the fact is LFS is very small - online of an evening there are only a handful of busy servers. If the ring was released for LFS tommorrow it would slash the number of active servers where you could find great racing, it would divide the community in two just as oval racing has done.

If the devs took that literally we would never see any new cars, tracks or features added to LFS. Because there is the "chance of dividing the community".

Oval racers race on ovals because they like it, and it is racing. Drifter drift, they are not racers that drift. They dirft, because they like it more than racing.

Maybe it's the comments like yours which divide the community

Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG