The online racing simulator
The Crew
(38 posts, started )
Sinbad, I think your complaing for the sake of complaining.

No open world driving game can match this size so far by even half, It will take atleas months of just Driving the roads and dirt trails before you would start to even recognize anything.
Quote from sinbad :They wouldn't be that long.

Only 5000 square kilometers. How far could it possibly be coast-to-coast? 100km by 50km? Even with the non-rectangular shape, maybe 110km across, 130km with road deviation? Seems like a fairly tame "2 hours drive" at pedestrian speeds to get from NY to SF.

I don't get the fast travel thing either, as if the map won't seem a bit smaller than you'd hope, they want to make it even smaller. I quite like the idea of being bound to physical travel, having a "home" unless I acquire another, actual exploration, rather than click-of-a-button-top-of-a-mountain.

Considering it was around 50kms across on just Oahu which wasn't much more then 1 thousand kms squared, and the Mainland of USA is much more wider in shape I would assume you are looking closer to 250-300kms.
Where are you guys getting these low numbers from? They confirmed 10,000 kms of road. Do you think you can fit that much distance in a area 110-130kms across?

I'm sure they used the entire Continental US and shortened it abit, but only factored in important roads and cities like Route 66 and other significant highways thus boosting the distance up.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Where are you guys getting these low numbers from? They confirmed 10,000 kms of road. Do you think you can fit that much distance in a area 110-130kms across?

I'm sure they used the entire Continental US and shortened it abit, but only factored in important roads and cities like Route 66 and other significant highways thus boosting the distance up.

Considering it took me weeks at first to recognize oahu roads when I first played TDU 1, on a map 5 times larger with about 5 times the amount of useable road, this game will have months of just driving gameplay to explore.

Some may treat this game as a arcade racer but i see it as the next TDU and will be playing it accordingly, Physics should atleast be significantly better then the TDU2 rubbish combine that with likely more cars and much more customization i think it would be great, they seem to have a more seemless version of TDUs online gameplay which is much much better the Horizons lobby system.

I hope that you can see how much distance you put on your car as well.
#30 - JJ72
Quote from sinbad :Yes it's a decent size, but it being the shape of the USA is basically irrelevant. So yes, the developers said 2 hours coast to coast, so assuming a generous 130km across, that's averaging a whopping 65kmh. At 320kmh on a freeway that distance will feel like a short stage of The Run.
That's all I'm saying, obviously there will be plenty of roads besides, and it might be beautiful and diverse, but for a game with stupid fast cars, it's not going to be that big a map if you want to race from one end to the other.

Diving arrow straight at 320kph will get boring fast, much faster than you run out of map. And you are assuming the most direct most boring route. realistically just ask yourself how far do you usually go for your usual weekend spirited driving?
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Where are you guys getting these low numbers from? They confirmed 10,000 kms of road. Do you think you can fit that much distance in a area 110-130kms across?

I think you're slightly blinded by the big number.
Northern Ireland has 25000km of roads, and that's not exactly big but a lot bigger than the Crew map at 130km by 175km or so.

You don't need a lot of room for a lot of road.
and who cares about the size of it anyway?

its big enough tbh ^^ and its made solely for arcade market.

so im suprised how serious you guys are taking this
Quote from colonio :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... feature=player_embedded#!

at 9:00+ the guy says that it took a supercar 1h 45 to go side to side only on highways, 2h 30 to a top level off road vehicle (whatever that means) cutting through hills and everything

250 to 300kms sounds accurate.

For instance the race on TDU that you do that circles the island is around 200kms and takes around 1 to an hour and 10 mins. And thats with a top class supercar.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
I hated that the cops didn't even have to catch you to bust you. All it took was one bullshit drive-by "you're busted", and I never looked at this game ever again...
wow, no thanks. Staying clear of falling piano.
Okay, so I went and downloaded it because, well, it's free, so no great loss if it's a complete disaster...

Imagine my surprise when I find myself still playing it a week later, and enjoying it! I did start by trying to get my steering wheel configured - the input lag is some of the worst I've seen in any game - so that was a bit frustrating, but then I gave up and started using a xbox controller - much better!

I'm not far off the level cap now, so not sure how much longer it'll hold my attention after that, as the multiplayer game isn't very well implemented (I spent about 15 minutes in a lobby waiting for a race to start - people came and went, but nothing happened - in the end I had to crash-reset my computer because once you're in the lobby, there's no way back out of it - none that I could find, anyway).

The cars are quite hard to get, ie, expensive, and the game is constantly trying to get you to upgrade to the Wild Run expansion, and it's full of microtransactions - but if you can see past these, you have a fairly decent free game that will keep you interested for quite a few hours.

On the subject of size, I did a faction race the other night that started in Miami and went up the coast and through New York (which we figured out was about 35-40 kms real-world), then Chicago, then across the Rockies in a very roundabout path to Nevada, up to Seattle and down the west coast to finish in LA. All up it took a little under 2 hours (very roughly). Finished 2nd which didn't feel too bad as the AI cars far outclassed my vehicle. It was a dirt-spec race too, so not the fastest cars to begin with...

Sorted out the problem with the cops - just ignore them. Big grin

The Crew
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG